Reviews for Recess
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
Happy birthday, love!

I like the vagueness of this piece. It's not completely clear what this "music" is, but obviously it's something that is special to the little girl but no one else. Your capitalization of "Teacher" was very effective, as well. It have a certain sense of foreboding and fear, even though the person in question is only a school teacher. Over all, this was a fresh and interesting poem, and I like the hint of "something more" that eggs me on.
notveryalice chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
Happy Birthday!

I chose to review this poem because it struck a deep chord with me. Your language in this poem is simple but it is elegant - there are no wasted words.

Do the children speak to her because they don't know that she's deaf? For some reason it bothered me that the children would speak to her if they know she's deaf - maybe this is the first day of school and they don't know.

It's a small quibble. You seem to have written the poem with such intensity that you have had some experience with deafness before. I'm curious, even after seeing the prompt, where you got your inspiration from.

Thank you for writing this poem. I like it very much.

-Web-
Dougie Boy chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
This was a treat-a break from all the other, more depressing entries in the WCC. I enjoyed the imagery of the small child, and the line: "But she can hear them sing." was just magic. Good luck in the WCC.

-Dougie Boy
Lea Ai chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
This is so sweet. Beautiful piece! Good luck in WCC!
Sercus Kaynine chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
Short and sweet, I thought this a cute poem. I loved the playground metaphor. It's something everyone can connect with. :)

Good job and good luck in WCC!
Isca chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
"Suspended in the air." This is an unexpected, yet noteworthy imagery twist. I like it.

"All she ever hears is the music." Bless her heart. That's not a bad though, you know - being deaf to all but music. Hmm. :)
improvisationallychallenged chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
This is a lovely, concise little piece that totally captures an isolated, but contented perspective. Good stuff

Nice bit of free-verse there Sheriff :P