Reviews for Only Bandits and Soldiers
DeepSeaDragon chapter 3 . 2/10/2010
I think these installments might benefit from being a mite longer. This felt like a half-chapter, to tell the truth.

That said, the writing therein is still fine and I'm enjoying the characters, although I'm not sure if I have much of a feel for Luisa and Dario yet. You've painted an excellent portrait in your depiction of Buenos Aires; it feels well-rounded and, of course, very intense.

Now we just need to pick up the pace a bit and we'll be rollin'. I'll be dropping back by this one from time to time for sure.
DeepSeaDragon chapter 2 . 2/2/2010
Ah, the plot thickens. Still intriguing, still good.

My favorite bit was the note about the vans. You've effectively made this place seem scarier than Gotham City. Congrats.
dreamshell chapter 3 . 1/24/2010
You’re doing a good job maintaining the subtle air of unease, though the pacing might be getting a bit too sluggish. I’m hoping to read something beyond paranoid conjecture and the aftermath of violence soon. Not to say the story itself isn’t going well or that I’m not appreciating it as is, but it needs to kick me in the pants here in the near future. The tension has to be justified with a climax, after all. Though I do always enjoy examining and 'following' a character. )
DeepSeaDragon chapter 1 . 1/24/2010
Ooh, this was very tense. Very tense indeed. The sense of foreboding here is palpable. Very cool setting. The comment at the end about people "disappearing" really nails it.

I'm no good for offering suggestions for improvement or spotting typos here. I do hope to learn more about John in the next few chapters, since it appears we're going to be going on quite the wild ride with him. This is an excellent start to what I'm expecting to be a great thriller.
dreamshell chapter 2 . 1/23/2010
Another good chapter. Nice job keeping the suspense going, while keeping things very realistic at the same time. Little things help, like the banter about football or the detailing of the neighborhood.

I especially liked the nods to Bradbury and B-movies, too. ;)
dreamshell chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
I like the narrative, its very punchy and humorous. You also do a good job of establishing your setting, an admitted weakness of mine. Though maybe apply that a bit to characters, as well? I don't know what Gonzalez or Clark look like. Though I guess, at least in Clark's case, it might be odd if he described himself (I've always hated how that gets awkwardly jammed into stories written in first-person).

You touch upon a lot of things; a woman named Luisa Herrara and a similarly-named brother, and you've made it clear Clark feels a vague sense of danger. I just have no idea why. But I'm sure you'll reveal more soon.

Keep it up. ;)
JaveHarron chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Okay, off to a good start here. There's some noticeable tension, but not a lot of action. Hoping to see some of that in later chapters.