Reviews for Nochnayia Lubov
zombie chickens chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Beautifully written first chapter. An interesting setting and even more interesting plot. A prison camp does seem like a very unlikely place for a romance to sprout, especially if it's with one of the people keeping you locked up. It paves the way for all sorts of lovely complications. The officer is already an interesting character, I can't say he's likeable so far, but he isn't completely despicable either which, as far as I can say, is an excellent sort of character to have in a story. It'll be very interesting to see where this goes.
Frayling0 chapter 2 . 12/27/2010
So, onto chapter 2 :) The first line is very effective as a hook, posing several questions. Why didn't she go? What happened? I felt sorry for Katya in the initial scene, the insults and abuse were harsh, but she's created an image of herself in the camp. Katya is quickly spiralling out of control and you portray her emotions so well! Much of it was both gory and vivid, but to the point. Her relationship is definitely getting her something. I can see where this is moving, and I'm enjoying it. Great work :) ~ Luke
Tawny Owl chapter 20 . 12/27/2010
It seems perfectly right that Mogilev is one of those all controlling bosses that has to prowl about making sure everything is done right - and that on this particular night he is using it as a way to purge himslef of Nora's photos. It feels like we're entering one of those spirals where the hate and the lust are so tightly intwined they end up inspiring each other. You know the ones I mean, right? I hoep Nora is as quick and clever as she thinks she is: the fall out of those is never pretty.

You hint that Mogilev has genuine respect and loyalty for Alexis too, which makes him a more rounded character. I like seeing him as this manioulative slimey sausage through Nora's eyes, but it's more fulfilling to know there is more there too. his striding back to his apartments though makes it feel like an important decision has been made - I can't help thinking that isn't good for others.

I'm curious what Nora is gpoing to do about photo's of Katya. ANd teh twist of teh Tsar's words at the ned was a good way to finish.
Narq chapter 35 . 12/25/2010
Hey!

and the soldiers young, raw with fear, and coping in the only way they knew how. Drinking, whoring, and fighting with a savageness wrought of dread. Nikolai had never felt more lonely in his life.

- "savage wrought of dread"? would that flow better? Also, does Nikolai do that? Please tell me, I want to know what my darling Kolya does ;)

And, what about the others, Grisha and all - if they aren't in the army, does Kolya get to see them again? Or does he just forget?
this wild abyss chapter 35 . 12/24/2010
This review is brought to you by the Review Marathon. For more information, see the link in my profile.

So I think I picked the perfect time to review this story, seeing that it all ends quite neatly for me. Sweet!

Anyway, I'm glad that we've finally got all the bit and pieces sorted out. Well, most of them. You managed it all quite nicely, and I really only have one question. In this, it didn't seem that Nikolai was particularly attached to Katyushka, but he was obviously very much in love with her in the first few chapters. So I thought that those two storylines did not quite match up. But I was extremely happy to see Pasha here. This story needs to see more of him, or at least characters like him. The carefree, fun-loving yet loyal sort who add comedic relief even as they make readers feel better. So yeah, I'd love to see more of him.

But this was very nice, even if part II was a little bit long and winding, as you mentioned before.

Happy Christmas!
this wild abyss chapter 34 . 12/24/2010

Okay, now I really did think that this chapter was completely unnecessary. Aside from the very first paragraph, none of it really added to the plot. It was interesting, as always, but not exactly having anything to do with Nikolai, who should be the main focus of this plot.

However, I did like how you showed Alexei's brilliant strategery here. It was a brief look at how he might have become a different man, had things been different.
this wild abyss chapter 33 . 12/24/2010

I like how Nikolai is able to stand up against the Tsar's tyranny even when everyone around him tells him to mind his own business. It says something for his strength of character and his own ability to think for himself. Alexei's attitude in this chapter was different than it's been lately, and I think it worked well. You might have gone a bit more in depth on his pain, but other than that his interactions and actions were good.
this wild abyss chapter 32 . 12/24/2010

Hmm, so I liked how you described Nora's descent while the bloodletting was occurring. It felt natural and believable. I also liked Mogilev's actions in this part. His brusque behaviour was a great way to break up some of the tensions and high drama in this chapter.
this wild abyss chapter 31 . 12/24/2010

Woah. For a second there you had me confused with the whole 'assasinate Hitler' bit, but then I actually found that I quite liked Alexei's not so subtle attempt to get rid of Nora. I thought it was a great way to show how uncomfortable he was with his own feelings.

The bit at the end where the Tsar falls but nobody dares to touch him was amazing. I just loved the image you made of that, and the way you enforced the fact that he reigned with such dominance and power in spite of his infirmity. A lovely way to close the chapter, I thought.
this wild abyss chapter 30 . 12/24/2010

At the beginning of this chapter, I was a little confused as to whose point of view your were writing in. I didn't like that vague sense of omniscience considering that the rest of the story hasn't been written in that style.

However, I love Nikolai's compassion and efforts to save Dima from his fate. The empathy he displays towards the little boy really works for him, I think.
this wild abyss chapter 29 . 12/24/2010
This review is brought to you by the review game. For more information, see the link in my profile.

I liked your mentioned of Hitler in this, as it gave us a hint at the time period and showed us what Alexei's worldview was in one neat trick. Nikolai's pathetic dependence on Nora is somewhat interesting, and though I don't personally like it, I think it somehow fits his character fairly well.
this wild abyss chapter 28 . 12/24/2010

I always enjoy the family interaction because it breaks the gloom and doom of the rest of the narrative. And your hook at the end was perfect because it gave just the right amount of foreshadowing and mystery, especially since the readers know the truth of the matter.
this wild abyss chapter 27 . 12/24/2010

Oh, that chapter was horrible. Just when I started to like Alexei and think he was somewhat human, he has to pull this sort of stunt. But it was a wonderful chapter. I loved Alexei's harsh demeanor because if he had been remorseful at all the entire effect of the scene would have been ruined. Dima's reaction to this all was very sweet and showed just how charming of a little boy he is, which I liked. Very nice.
this wild abyss chapter 26 . 12/24/2010

Alexei's lust for Nora is very interesting and unexpected. I think that his reaction to her is more human that you've made him out to be thus far, and I like that. Even a 'bad guy' has feelings like everyone else.

Nora's own feelings for him are even more unexpected. I didn't picture her in such a light, and seeing her physically respond to a man she is politically opposed to is a great tactic.
this wild abyss chapter 25 . 12/24/2010

I liked your use of extended metaphor in this chapter. The image of a dog really seemed to work here, and the imagery it helped create was very nice.

Nora's emotions are also well-portrayed, all things considered. Her feelings on her actions seemed to be realistic.
443 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »