Reviews for Nochnayia Lubov
this wild abyss chapter 9 . 12/24/2010
This review is brought to you by the Review Marathon. For more information, see the link in my profile.

All right, you've opened up a whole slew of questions with this one.

First off, what happened to Katay and Nikolai? I'm not exactly liking the rather abrupt change of storyline, as it made the first part feel very inconclusive. Second, what time does this take place? Before or after the events of the first seven chapters? I'm taking a wild guess here and saying the the Nikolai here is the same as the Nikolai that Katya knew, but that then begs the question of whether or not she died.

Needless to say, I am very confused and not at all liking the way you've presented the plot. You're creating more questions than you're answering.

But as always, your writing is as crisp and clear as ever. I've noticed that some of the sparsity in your word choice has left, but aside from that, this is well-written as ever.
this wild abyss chapter 8 . 12/24/2010

I really liked the description you put in at the beginning. The word choice and imagery was great, and it really set the reader up for this new scene we were going to be reading.

Woah, woah, woah. I'm sensing some major alternate history here. Alexei is Tsar? What happened to Stalin exactly? Seeing that the labour camps were still in effect, I'm assuming that either the first part of this took place during the regime, or that the Tsar is not going to be the good guy in this tale. Well, this is a very interesting turn of events, and I'm anxious to see where you take it. Mostly, I'd like to see how Alexei's illness affects him now that he's grown up.

Thank you for such a wonderful read!
this wild abyss chapter 7 . 12/24/2010

So, I really liked the way Katya submitted to her fate. It showed an interesting side of her personality, and Nikolai's response was perfectly juxtaposed, I thought.

Your reference to the Arabian Nights was brilliant, I thought. It's exactly what came to mind, and it was the best thing ever when I saw it. The only problem I had was the liklihood of it actually being valid in the current setting. I somehow doubt that Katya has read that sort of literature, and since this is narrated from her persepective, it didn't seem to work, even if it was a wonderful simile.
Punslinger chapter 35 . 12/23/2010
A fine job of bringing the story full circle-almost. Makes me even more eager to learn how the original love story plays out. I'm still confused as to what became of the real Katyushka. If she is the same as the prison camp Katy, she must have had an interesting experience getting there.

I can't help wondering-if Nikolai had a crew cut, how could "...his fingers furrow through his hair?"
3H chapter 35 . 12/23/2010
Valeryia will be so glad once Nikolai makes it home. Ugh, if he makes it home? And Wow, I did not expect the Tsar to do that for Chelyadin. There's empathy and compassion somewhere in that man, as little as it is. And thank you captain for sending Nikolai to a women's camp. YAY! back to Koyla and Katya, hopefully now we'll find out how Katya ended up in a labor camp. Geez, I can't believe you're gonna make me wait until the new year for a new chapter, that's a whole week! Well, I'm here waiting. Great Chapter. Happy Holidays.
Guest chapter 35 . 12/23/2010
"He tried on Nikolai's mushroomy officer's cap over his own shaved head and assumed a [haughty look]."

Unintentional bracketing there I assume.

"With... a stroke of the pen, it was done."

Except it isn't really done at all, and I'm very glad of it. I do want to know what the future holds for Nikolai and Katyushka. And the Russian Royal family. And maybe even a bit more of this most interesting universe that could have been.

Keep 'em coming, please.
Punslinger chapter 34 . 12/22/2010
Kudos. Am looking forward to see how you wrap it all up in one final chapter.
Narq chapter 34 . 12/22/2010
Though this is a flashback. I was thinking: necessary? XD say that it's a bad beta habit now.

But I realised I was really engrossed and I liked how it showed that the Tsar worked well with others, and that others actually trusted him so yes, necessary.

:D

Narq.
daydee chapter 34 . 12/22/2010
i'm so confused. how can that be the last chapter?
3H chapter 34 . 12/21/2010
I'm gonna review for the last couple chapters. How could Alexi, not even think of Chelyadin after all he's done for him? I mean he once went to confession, he has to have some sort of conscious, as arrogant as he is. This got me thinking, what became of Chelyadin? -I didn't expect Nora to die the way she did, I presumed she'd be killed or sent away. -I figured Nikolai would be sorta exiled and forced to join the army, so no surprise there. Also, I love that Dima got to see Valeryia, the woman he thinks of as his mother. Aww. It's crazy that Nikolai practically got away with kidnapping Dima. Now, in chapter 28, I want to assume that in this point and time, Koyla is in Syberia, as a new soldier. Yes or no? I wonder if they assassinate Stalin, (Or poison him) and N&K are in the clear. I see the couple oblivious to Stalin's death and continue to stay fearful and in hidding from the other guards. Ugh, I CAN'T wait for the update!

By the way, I LOVE that you've been updating so quickly.
Michael Howard chapter 34 . 12/21/2010
Alternate history special ops - cool!

Hard to understand how a single chapter can properly conclude this story (we don't know how EVERYTHING turns out after all) but I'm still very eager to see it.
Punslinger chapter 33 . 12/19/2010
Excellent. Your unique talent for graphic similes shines with "...a crow...creaked like a door in the wind." Not so much with "...Tsar's loathing and disgust drip down him like sweat."

The symbol of the burning staw woman impinges on many levels-Nora's blaze of glory, the coming flames of war, etc., while the Easter message of resurrection offers hope for your tragic characters.
this wild abyss chapter 6 . 12/19/2010
I liked the vague, brutal way you described Nikolai's injuries. It wasn't some romanticised version of events - it was brutal and realistic. That sort of thing just makes this story all that much better. And I liked the fact that Olaf died. I mean, I didn't like it, per se, but I liked the fact that you didn't keep all the original characters together and let them come through it all relatively unscathed with no life-threatening injuries. It makes this story seem more real.
this wild abyss chapter 5 . 12/19/2010
As always, you tell this story in a simply gorgeous manner. Your word choice is excellent, and I really do enjoy reading this. I love how Katya is having conversations with her old friends. It's a wonderful touch, and it only cements how much she had learned to rely on them into the reader's mind.
Michael Howard chapter 33 . 12/19/2010
In an act of contrition (or is that displaced guilt?) a female figure burns.

I love it!