Reviews for Nochnayia Lubov
NinaBinaBallerina chapter 44 . 3/6/2011
yay for updates! but now that i'm finished reading...i want more! can't wait to see what happens!
thewhimsicalbard chapter 44 . 3/6/2011
Ah! The Tsar is back... I like it. Shvybs has grown up quite a bit as well. I want to see what's happened since the earlier part of the story that Shvybs is no longer enamored with her big brother. You've done good work opening her up to development. I'm eager to see what you choose to have revealed to her.

I'm also eager to see how you use Nora. A dead character can be a powerful weapon if used correctly. Oh, this is all just so exciting!

One thing though: I don't know why it was necessary to switch the order of the chapters. I rather liked it when I first read it. Besides, I'm reading back through it and noticing little details here and there that don't exactly fit. For example, when Nikolai says "Do you think this is why I joined the army, to force women and children to work to death?" At this point, we KNOW it isn't. It doesn't have the power that it did when I first read it.

So, a great chapter. Fantastic as always.

Your favorite fanboy,

-twb
3H chapter 44 . 3/6/2011
YAY! I felt so privledged to have such a quick update. Oh there's a storm a brewin' I feel it. I hope we don't get a surprise like, Nora's alive and returns for whatever reason. That'd suck because Katya shouldn't have to deel with any more drama. I'm guessing we'll find out wat happened during Koyla and Katyushka's run to freedom, or is this in chronological order? Whatever it may be, I don't care just update. )
Narq chapter 44 . 3/5/2011
Oh. I thought you'd actually make people think that that was your ending. Shows that you're not entirely evil after all :P

I'll have to dish out the chapters because I realise you're waiting on me for them.

Lovely chapter!

Narq.
Punslinger chapter 42 . 3/3/2011
"It's a good ending. Right?"

No. It's too abrupt and inconclusive to satisfy readers who have really become engrossed in the story. After all, Kolya and Katya are still fugitives from the law, unless there has been an amnesty that you didn't mention. Maybe you'll explain that the Tsar had a change of heart, or he died and his successor is more forgiving.

Your descriptive phrases still dazzle, e.g. "Darkness had eaten the edges of the building but for those patches saved by light leaking from drawn curtains." But some are cliches: "...round as a plumb." "...walking on air."

I'm glad you finally made it clear that Katya and Katyushka the violinist aren't the same girl. Or maybe you mentioned that earlier and I missed it.

Congratulations on winning La Campella Award for Historical. But Tragedy? When your lovers fade out in a blissful embrace that even Old Hollywood couldn't top? Could you be setting us up for a Jason and Medea conflict in which the closeness bred of a long shared ordeal is strained by their different backgrounds and interests?
berley chapter 7 . 3/3/2011
The first part was really quick with explaining how the officer (I don’t know why I keep calling him that) recovered from his injuries, but I think it worked. It was brief and got to the point, but you still managed to convey some character development, and the pain and feelings that both characters were going through.

I loved the tension that you built up when the two of them heard the gun shot and the contrast of each of their reactions; it’s another great and subtle way that you show the differences between their personalities and how they view things in general. This is also shown in that party with Nikolai walking past the dead body and into the cabin, and Katya taking the time to look at the trapper and take in his features.

The ending was my favourite part of this chapter, by far. First of all, the descriptions of Katya’s feet were amazingly disgusting. I cringed while reading it, which doesn’t happen very often for me. Haha. I really liked that you brought back Eleni, and Katya imagining her again. It really is a nice touch to the story.

Sigh. This chapter was brilliant. Like usual. Can’t wait for more!
Tawny Owl chapter 42 . 3/2/2011
Hem hem. Now I've collected myself - congrats on the La Camp wins. You deserved them because this story is amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it reads when you rearrange it all. I'm going to keep my eye on that.

I really want to know more about the sort of place that Chelyadin lives in now. I know it's dark but I really want to see it through Katya's eyes. The size and shape of it, are their pot plants that leap out of teh shadows to trip her up? I dunno. It just feels like teh idea of being in a rel house would be a big deal for her, and it would tell us about Chelyadin too.

Unconscious belch. oh, nice Kolya!

"Bastard." - Yes! I loved this exchange between them. ANd following Katya's insecurity and her not quite courage. She's a lovely character. So human.

I alos like teh way that Katya feels like she has to apologise for his bad behaviour, like she feels it's her fault. Poor girl. It must be love.

I also liked how you conveyed teh whirlwind authority of teh Plum in very few lines. Excellent.

With a heart strung between terror and unbelievable hope, Katya crossed the threshold - That's what I was looking for. Although it feels liek tehre should be more of it. Her reaction to the insides, which presumably she can see some of? I might just be being greedy though. And you do mention it when she is in bed.

Oh, Valeriya. Bless. I lloved that image.

The man nodded like a woodpecker - interesting. Makes it sound very focused. Controlled. I'd like to see Katya comment on what his face looks like too.

"And-" Oh, yes? kolya? and who? (raises eyebrow in disaproval)

It was a happy ending. But slightly too perfect for my liking. I will read on as soon as I can - and how long will that be? I am suprisingly keen to find out about Pasha. War could do interesting things to his outlook on life.
Michael Howard chapter 42 . 3/1/2011
"As if he were something not quite real, a dream yearned for for so long that it had made it out of her head."

Double for there.

Can I have it both ways? Yes, this was a satisfying resolution and yet yes, I would like to have a few of those questions posed there at the end answered. So by all means, write on.

BTW congratulations on your well-deserved win here!
Mousie Moolie chapter 42 . 3/1/2011
You scared me there at the end! I would miss Kolya too much
Tawny chapter 42 . 3/1/2011
I'll log in and review this properly when I'm less excited.

In the mean time...DIMA! (squeals)
thewhimsicalbard chapter 42 . 3/1/2011
[Depth Review for WCC]

First, congratulations on pulling Noch together! I can't wait to see how you handle the rest of it.

Writing: Gorgeous. You write like a poet, which is why I enjoy reading your stories so much. I thought that Katya's thoughts to herself in the later chapter were especially well-done. I was shivering when she rose above her former zek-ness:

"A corpse.

A heartless, soulless, corpse.

Her jaw grew firm.

Plot: I love happy endings, so forgive me for bringing this up, but I really didn't expect Noch to have a perfect ending. I feel like too much has already happened to Katya and Nikolia for the dust of it all to settle just like that. I was expecting an imperfect ending, because everything else in the story was so imperfect (except the way you wrote it, of course). I thought that at the end, it would come down to a choice: to love or not to love - which hurts more?

Scene: You could perhaps do a little more here. I found myself reusing one of the Standard Attics Featured Within My Imagination for the room where Katya is staying, and I haven't had to do that yet in your story. That's my only complaint: the room. Everything else was great. Perhaps you could put yourself behind Katya's eyes when she feels alone in the room before Nikolai gets in there and describe what she sees.

Pace: Once again, superb. This chapter went a little fast for my taste, but that's because I'm just a little fanboy who wants to read more. Removing myself from the fanboy persepctive, though, you paced it fanastically. The only thing I would point out is that, when compared to all the action that took place in this chapter before the cast went to bed, the reunion with Dima and Chelyadin was a little bit rushed.

So, great chapter!

#fanboy

;)

-twb
hangover hobby kit chapter 42 . 3/1/2011
ah. i've been waiting for this! just in time too. The first week of university's kicked in and already, i'm in need of a good distraction.

Very curious to see how Katya ultimately fits in (or doesn't) into this other world. Also quite keen to see if Kolya's demeanor will change significantly now that he's back.

will wait with baited breath, as always. ]
lyla fo fyla chapter 7 . 2/28/2011
First, I have to let this out: AUGH! Not Olaf!

I teared up a little bit 'cause I'm a big wuss :( But, it fit the situation, sadly. I can't imagine a group of men in the heat of a beating not shooting the threatening dog. Keeping it real girl.

I was going to stop and review chapter six, but I needed one more, haha. Sophie, goodness, this story is so fantastic! I'm sad I didn't start reading this earlier today so that I might have gotten farther! Anyway, on to the actual review.

Also, super congratulations for winning WCC! Much deserved :)

Characters- There's not one character I don't like so far. Nikolai is probably my favorite, he wears his sweet little heart on his sleeve. I love his determined nature. I really want to know more about his own internal struggle, with Ekaterina. And Katya is an awesome character. I love how you've been revealing her slowly, your letting us chip away at her. It saddens me that she sees herself as a dead woman, but it adds to her, makes her very three dimensional. And you can feel the hopelessness in a very real way. I like how you use the dead women as Katya's confidants. Eleni especially, she makes me smile in otherwise depressing chapters.

Relationships- I'm loving the interaction between Katya and Nikolai. I'm not convinced he truly loves her yet. More that he wants to take care of her, but I can definitely see him evolving and falling for her faster than she will for him. At this point, I feel like Katya's infatuation is largely due to Nikolai being her rescuer on the run and back at the camp. I feel that it's an uneasy falling in love and it's something that I haven't seen on FP, it's extremely refreshing!

Writing- Your writing style is incredible. I love the way you use description, your metaphors are great, I can picture everything effortlessly. In this chapter I think the best example is 'It filled the air, and then the space between her legs and inside her mouth and into her lungs til she couldn't move and couldn't breathe. She drowned in snow.' I got chills! You can feel the cold through those words, major props. Your transitions are very smooth and you balance your chapters very well with a little bit of everything. There hasn't been too much dialogue or too much description. I think what I like most is how you convey feeling, like the hopelessness in the camp.

Ending- The end of this chapter was perfect. It made me think of when movies fade out and skip a bit ahead, and I just went back and looked at the chapter scroll and the next chapter is a prologue! Good job there, haha. The last line is lovely, it gives me a bit of closure, knowing that they are safe for awhile, and it also has me wanting to keep going, despite having the early shift tomorrow :)

Lovely, lovely story you have here Sophie, I can’t wait to read on!

-Lyla / Coco
Sercus Kaynine chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
Oh jeez. Doing WCC prize review on the last day. Brilliant, Sir, just brilliant. Anywys, congrats on winning WCC!

Writing - Wow. Just wow. Your writing style throughout this chapter was gorgeous. I loved how you made world Katya lives in so unique, with your cold descriptions and harsh diction. It was just so easy to fall into. You did a great job of expanding moments that were important and summarizing things that were more for information.

Relationships - This is an interesting POV to take for a romance story, so I'm curious to see how it goes. One is superior in station and the other is mainly unresponsive. I like the progress you've made in making the situation clear to me in just this one chapter. This could develop into anything, and that makes it keep my attention. It's cool how you show their moments together and I've gotten to see their reactions, like to the food. Excellent methods of description mingled with characterization in the first love scene, btw.

Plot - We've already gotten the ball rolling here. I like how you give Katya a motive for going to see the officer and from the first sentence have their interaction be the key. With the relations between the officer, Katya, and Eleni, I feel this story is connected enough to keep the action and conflict going.

Techniques - This may be a bit off the beaten path, but I loved the technique of using the dog as a link between the officer and Katya. It seemed a good way to introduce him and give Katya a good reason for going to him. And it gave your landscape a flair that it wouldn't have had without Katya's history of feeding the dog. It seemed a nice way to bring some light and life into a world that's obviously starved of both.
berley chapter 6 . 2/27/2011
“His muscles clamped onto his bones to hold it in.”

- I loved that line! What awesome imagery!

It’s so sad that the dog died, but I actually really like that you didn’t focus too much attention on the animals death. It happened so fast in your writing, which makes since. Bang, the dog is dead but Katya has a lot more important things to worry about like the well being of her officer. The pacing in the scene was really well done and realistic, so good job with that. Oh man, I was so heart broken when he asked about the dog. That’s so sad and I can just imagine what his reaction is going to be when he finds out the truth.

So yeah, this chapter was a little depressing, but the ending does give me hope for these two. I think Katya needs to give herself more credit, though. She is such a fighter in her own way.
443 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »