Reviews for Regret
germaine chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Grief is an emotion that most of us can empathize with. We've all lost someone to the Great Scorer in our lives, and if we haven't, then excerpts like this one:

"Her auburn hair was pulled into a messy ponytail, and I knew that her dark sunglasses concealed eyes that were red-rimmed and swollen with shed tears. I recognized that look well; I have worn it myself and have seen it here too many times to count. It is the look of someone whose world has been shaken to the core, and who is now trying desperately to hold themselves together."

wouldn't have brought tears to their eyes, much like it did mine. You have painted a familiar, vivid picture of the physicalities of grief, an image that is transferable to any graveyard we have visited, to any dead loved one we have not made right with. It is a feeling like none other before it, one that you cannot simply supress and hide, but rather wear on your sleeve, so to speak. As you stated in your work, this look is one all too familiar with survivors and it really brought the reader closer to the girl being observed - it brought the reader back to memories of their own swollen eyes and tear-stained cheeks.

"I realized that this young woman was one of the people who waited. They put off a confession or an apology, waiting for another time, another day, another chance that now would never come.

Now she, like so many others, was left to speak those important words in front of a mound of earth and a grave marker instead of the person who needed to hear them."

Such truth! Such a common expression (tell someone you love them while you still can) put into such eloquent phrasing. We hear cliche's so many times that we stop taking heed to them; but the way you put this really brought it home, really made apparent how quickly this life can end and how rapidly the loving face of your sickly mother, young sister, elderly father, new boyfriend, best friend or cousin, neighbor you kind of like, can be stripped from your life without so much as a ''goodbye."

This piece really spoke to my soul, and I apologize if this review did not do it justice. Keep it up, my friend.
Kaleigh chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
The words spin and weave an incredible sketch, and I am convicted by it. We can NOT leave for tomorrow what should be done today. Beautiful writing, my friend!