Reviews for Where Cross and Crescent Meet
Guest chapter 1 . 6/5/2018
I lost count of how many times I've reread this and The Boy Who Talks To God. Yesterday, I was finishing this up again after work and something overcame me and I just started crying. Your testimony is such an incredible testament of faith and the overwhelming grace and love of God. We are so wholly undeserving and yet He has lavished His love upon us again and again. Thank you so much for sharing this with us - it's still one of the most powerful things I have read, 6 years later. It makes known my own reality and awakens a hunger in my soul for the Lord. Aside from encountering Him myself, nothing else has given me such an acute feeling.

Something that has really stuck with me is the part where you said we have to live as if Jesus is real in our lives, and if we don't believe that and live like that, how will others ever know who Jesus really is, other than a "great teacher/prophet"? That really challenged the way I've been living, and the way I view things. Sometimes I forget the cornerstone of the Gospel and it scares me. This (along with so much of your testimony) was so convicting.

I could go on and on, but I do want to talk about this in terms of writing. I'm not normally a fan of first person writing, but your writing is so effortless and genuine. The authenticity of every character rings through, and I feel as if I know them personally. Even the characters that are mentioned in passing feel as alive to me as the people I pass by every day. What a gift He has given you, and I rejoice that you've shared that with us.

I wish you and Nate and your team all the best - I am very curious as to where you are right now, and very excited to know what incredible things He's done in your lives in the past 7 years. I may not know now, but I look forward to meeting you one day. What an honour to call you sister in Christ.
gyoung chapter 42 . 8/16/2016
I cried all through the last couple of chapters. I was riveted, unable to stop reading this amazing story. Now that I've finished I don't even want to pick up another book. I want this story to continue playing in my head. It was well-written and revealed the journey of a Christian woman with its positive sides (God always being there for her) and negatives (Christian life isn't always what we want it to be or 100% only happiness). There are hardships, moments when you want to give up, say to God this is enough, but He is with you through it all. That's the most amazing thing about the ending of this story: God is good, and we can't, by any means, forget that. As dark and hopeless a situation looks, God is always good in the end. He wouldn't be God if he weren't good. Those are the words that I've pondered throughout the story and after reading it.
I wrote these words a couple of days ago when I finished reading "The Boy Who Talks to God" and I put them here for you: Reading a story so deep and heartbreaking that the feel of it colors the way you look at life in that instant.
Thank you for sharing your heart through this story. I rejoice in what God has done through you and Nate through this testimony. God bless you.
Stacie chapter 42 . 4/13/2016
It's been 5 years. Please let us know how you guys are doing.
somersaultkick chapter 42 . 11/7/2015
This is so amazing. This touched my heart in many ways. I cried so much since I wasn't sure his fate yet (though your way of writing tells me the end will always full of joy). The many sacrifices, the strong faith, the people you've changed, and the overall moral of the story (in general). Amazing. You're amazing you know that? :)
puddleduck chapter 42 . 8/14/2015
Recently re-read your story and it's still heart stopping. There is so much of your voice in it, I feel like you have shared so much through your story that when we meet in heaven, perhaps I would be able to recognise you and say hi. I wonder sometimes, with all the turmoil in the world, if you & nate are still ok (in a physical way more than anything for I'm sure you are safe in God wherever you are). Please post something to let us know that you're still alive? Will keep praying..
Ishotthealbatross chapter 42 . 10/19/2014
I don't know whether to believe everything you've written in your stories. I'm not a Christian, so it's hard for me to actually believe that all this happened. But I just want you to know that if this is all true, the work you and Nate are doing is amazing, and both of you deserve happiness. You both are incredible people.
j chapter 1 . 9/25/2013
What a beautiful story! It reverberates in my heart, the many giving ups and letting goes.. to grow, to make Christ our First love. Your story is a testimony, a way to share the gospel in itself. It shows, rather than tell, how our lives and thoughts can be so integrated with God through different situations, cultures, joys and hardships. Thanks for sharing so openly, it has been a blessing to me.

So many things I could identify with, it's encouraging to see the verses you included for different occasions. One thing that struck me, the many times I have seen stillbirths turn from red, blue and then grey. Never easy. I worked in a place where the superstition is that to increase the chances of the baby having a better afterlife, families ask for a photograph with a foreigner and the baby for good luck. It never fails to be a ghastly photo, but it is hard to refuse in such a situation. The verse you gave in 1 Samuel really is true, and comforted me. We cannot fight death, for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's. We can only humbly accept His timing.

Just as God has given you His greatest blessing in your relationship, may both of you always be steadfast in being a blessing to those around you through His grace and love. I did pray today, for you & "Nate" and all the missionaries in the field for your safety, for God's guiding hand in times of trials and confusion, for God's grace and strength to give lots of energy and passion each day.
ntw1103 chapter 42 . 2/26/2013
I cannot adequately put to words how much this story means to me.. At least not without telling a story of my own. This is definitely not the kind of reading that I normally do, and I'm not sure exactly how I found it, but I'm glad I did. I just finished reading through the first and second book.
It was both exciting and encouraging to see God at work in this story, so much so that I stayed up till 3:40am to finish it. :) I hope you are both well, and I'll be praying the both of you. Thank you for sharing your story, and what God has done in your lives. It brings hope.
God Bless,
- Nathan Wiering
Corrie Girondi chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
I love the sequel, thank you for posting it
Melliee chapter 42 . 9/15/2012
That is, honestly, the most amazing, awesome, perfect way to end 3 I love how both of you are so much in love with each other and even more with God. I honestly wish I could give you a huge hug right now, you deserve a pat (or even more :P) for writing this beautiful story. God bless!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
I am a Muslim. And after reading your story, I am so sorry for what you have seen at the hands of these so called Muslims. This is not what Islam teaches us to do, nor is it what the Prophet Muhammad PBUH practiced. This is a clear distortion of the teachings of the Quran and these people are misguided and acting on their own agendas. As Muslims it is our reponsibility to protect minoritites living in our lands, and to treat prisoners with the highest levels of respect. We are told to respect others' beliefs and not to force our religion on anyone. On behalf of the ignorant Muslims you have encountered, I deeply apologize. May your situation become better, and persecution for those who are suffering end in all parts of the world.
fairydustillusion chapter 42 . 7/6/2012
thank you so much for sharing this story with us.. it's opened my eyes yet again to how truly great and wonderful our God is. the things that you've experienced.. the wonders God has worked into our lives, it's unbelievable.
Praise be to the Lord!
silentsings chapter 41 . 6/14/2012
(first of all you did not disappoint us with a sequel; I personally think your writing has improved a lot in this)

Okay um. I'm speechless but let me say this first:

This story was like a slap to the face. Not a bad one, it was like a happy slap if that even makes sense. It was like someone dumped cold water on me and slowly, things shifted into view and one by one, I started to understand and realized all that I'd been doing wrong. My analogies are horrible but I think I've proven my point. xD

I read The Boy Who Talks To God the first time months ago, back in January and back then, I wasn't really 'in' to God. I mean, I loved that this was about God and it was REAL for that matter, but I just wasn't as interested in God as I was in the romance. And let's be honest, when I started the sequel I was looking for the same thing and gave up on about 1/4 of it.

It's June now; and something inside me made me /want/ to reread your story and go through everything carefully this time; drinking in God's promises and the lessons learned; focusing on HIM not just the romance. I'm pretty sure God urged me to read it because right about then, my relationship with Him was meh; crumbling. It moved me so much more than it did last time, but it turned out that God hadn't finished opening my eyes yet, so I read Where Cross and Crescent Meet and it was so much /deeper/ and had so many relevant topics and spot-on beautiful lines that made me tear up. I highlighted so much of the verses and lines on my Kindle. Ally's (your) character developed significantly; and so had Nate's and what really hit me was that, all this time, all the things that I'd been doing were wrong. I'd been calling myself a Christian but I was far from it in my attitude and thoughts and it hit me like a ton of bricks and I just wanted to start crying and praise Him and pray, but I couldn't in the place I was in so it was all in my head.

You know, I've always heard the "God's plans are greater than mine" thing, and a lot of my friends really love the verse from Jeremiah, but I'm never actually understood it completely or seen it in action. What this story proves though, since it's very much real, is that God's plans are INDEED greater than our own and He truly DOES take away in order to give us things of much greater worth (a theme that was talked about a lot).

I can just go on and on about this, but let me just say: your story is amazing! I'm really happy for you and Nate, and your love for each other and Christ makes me tear up. I hope one day I'd be able to know that kind of love. And last but not least, we serve such an amazing God! Thank you so much for sharing this story with us; it encouraged and helped open my eyes to things that I've been so oblivious to.

God bless! ]

- silentsings
Eileen chapter 42 . 2/19/2012
I admire you. I really do. I only wish I could be as strong and brave as you.

I believe in Jesus. I love him with all of my heart. But a lot of the time I feel I don't worship him enough or I don't try hard enough to spread word of him. I feel I'm not good enough for him, and I know nobody is but sometimes I wonder how he can love me.

I wish I could believe the way you do. I know you aren't perfect just as much as I'm not, but I wish I had the courage to go through what you did.

God Bless you, Ally. And Nate, too. I will pray for you both.
Mekayla chapter 42 . 12/9/2011
I don't know if you'll ever see this, but if you do, I have several things I'd liked to say.

One: You probably hear this a lot, but this inspired me. It opened my eyes to how selfish I've been, and how angry at God for insignificant things, like loneliness. I realize now that I don't have to be lonely because I have God. Hopefully this will help my relationship with him.

Two: I hope that I could be as strong as you in that situation. I know you aren't perfect, as no one is, but I hope to become as brave as you. I'm sitting in my nice bedroom, warm in the middle of winter, feeling like a coward.

Three: Words cannot describe just how happy I am for you and Nate. This story almost made me cry, but especially when he returned.

Four: I am SO glad for Kaveen and her husband. I took a particular liking to her and Brooke, and I was happy that it ended well for them both.

Overall, this story made me want to shout: GOD IS GREAT! Many blessings to all of you, may God continue to bless you and guide you.

~Mekayla