Reviews for Every Fifteen Minutes
Jen chapter 13 . 7/18/2010
Oh boy. Great impact message...and you are presenting the tale so well...I WILL be looking for your work on the shelves at Borders one day.

On a lighter note...the Grim Reaper...for some reason the image came to mind from the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol." Christmas Future was a rather Grim-Reaperish character, and in the graveyard scene moved in a manner that made me wonder if it was on roller skates...
Jen chapter 12 . 7/18/2010
That had to be scary. And the parents did a good job...I guess the whole idea of 'What if this were real?" comes into play and gets the emotions going. Marvelous educational tool, roleplay.
Jen chapter 10 . 7/18/2010
Wow...this was a pretty intense experience. Those letters must have been very difficult to read and to write...makes one want to be sure to leave no unfinished business.
Jen chapter 8 . 7/18/2010
Heavy. They hopefully showed the completed version of this video to everyone at school after it was over...? They take it all the way and give a good picture of the consequences. Very strong tool...should use it on adults who have simple DUIs...make them think before they ever drink and drive again.
Jen chapter 6 . 7/18/2010
Oh... This sounds like a good stuff.
Jen chapter 3 . 7/18/2010
What a powerful program; have not heard of it in my area, but sounds like something they should have.

The parents know this is a simulation (your folks knew you wer participating) and yet the gut reactions are so intense. If more kids knew how their parents would react to their child's violent injury or demise, I imagine a lot of them would think twice before engaging in risky behavior.

I look forward to the continuation...
Fam K. Santiago chapter 16 . 7/12/2010
This was a real engaging story. I always had wondered what the "victims" had felt going through the ordeal. I really liked it a lot. The Story seems believable.

Plus,this was done at my high school during my freshman year. I remember being able to go and see it even though it was tailors for the juniors and seniors. It has actually opened my eyes.

Thank you for this piece of literature. It has made my day.

-Fam
Chasya Elishma chapter 16 . 3/23/2010
“Every Fifteen Minutes." By Laila Amira

The scenes were well made, the characters appear believable, and the conversations quite engaging. However, what really kept my attention to continue reading was the remaking of the event of those “fifteen minutes” and its repercussions in the eyes of those students.

I became very interested to know about beer goggles and how they affect these students. I wanted to know if any might “die” in the simulation and what reaction their parents will have. I also felt some trepidation as the students did when they heard what they were about to do; it really pushed me to read further.

I also met and spoken with police officers involved in educating the youth and the easy going conversations her officers had with the students fits well my experience. The officers also showed knowledge and empathy with the students which fits the facts well. Ultimately, I find the power of this story may be in the fact that this story is likely drawn from the author’s own memories and as she wrote in her prologue:

“My high school took part in this program in May, and it was filmed and edited into a DVD. I participated in the program, and just recently received my copy of the DVD in the mail. I watched it and looked through the pictures again, and decided to write about my experience as a victim.”

She was there, she did this and her own experiences shine out from the story and draw us into her world and passion, this is what all authors try to do and this is what I see was done extremely well in Every Fifteen Minutes”. Maybe this could be used on a high school health book for those students, such as I

was long ago, who will not be in a high school that offers this program.

Reviewed by Elishma
Apple chapter 16 . 3/13/2010
Thank you for sharing this "workshop". I do not live in USA, but where I live, people do drink and drive, that cause a number of government have try hard to promote not to drive after you drink, there are dozen of people still risk their life for doing that.

Do you think this progam can be made bigger, I mean not just for youths, but also adults?

I am agree with you that youngsters now don't take many things serious, bcz they hv seen too much "violent"on screen, they are hardly believed that what they heard is another truth.