Reviews for I Am Not, I Am
Isca chapter 7 . 5/1/2010
"She was just a little girl." I love the tone of this line; it's both angsty and tragic. I like the subtle 'loss of innocence' and 'child abuse' allusions too; they're very impactful. I like that this poem is only one line long; it only needs to be one line long because it's that powerful and profound. I also like the fact that the speaker seems to be talking about herself, but she knows that the "she" that she was as a "little girl" is different from the "she" that she is now as an adult.

[RG: Poems: EF]
Manifest-Destiny-x X chapter 2 . 4/14/2010
I really love the narrative feel of this piece; I want to hear more of the story! Every word is impeccably chosen! I love, love, love this: "Too naive to be cynical, too cynical to be naive." BEAUTIFUL! The simplicity of form really allowed for the complexity of message to shine through!
White Carnation chapter 9 . 3/29/2010
This is a beautiful, beautiful piece. It has extremely powerful imagery, a deep message that easily reaches the reader, and has a great conclusion. I am truly at awe, at how spectacular your writing is, to spot anything to point out. It makes me feel it is perfect in every way. Great, great job!
Sparkling Sploosh chapter 2 . 3/28/2010
At first, I was thinking of looking over all of them at the same time since they are so short, but after I read the first one I realized that it's going to take some time for the message to sink in.

So, I liked the deeper meaning behind this. There are so few words, yet you can tell that you put a lot of thought into it.

This is actually a very difficult piece to write a review for, :o.

I also liked the view point. It showed exactly whoever is telling the story thinks of "her."

Good job! Unique piece!
JaffaFoose chapter 9 . 3/25/2010
This… is… my god, I love your writing. So uniquely formatted.

“She was an essay of invisible ink, blank to herself and to the world incomprehensible.”

Brilliant line. I actually smiled, just because of how pretty that is, how stirring. You’re painting this girl remarkably well. And with invisible paint, no less.

“breaking off brittle piece by piece until only everything was left.”

Wonderfully confusing. “Until only everything was left” is amazing.

“She was/just a little girl.”

A jarring little revelation. It’s weird, because even though I had already been assuming that this was a little girl, it still surprised me, because you revealed it so bluntly. In a piece where everything else had flowery language or pretty phrases, the simplicity of this part emphasized it perfectly.

“She quietly sits up and surveys the road that she can finally see.”

Lovely!

“She doesn't know what she is. But she will find out.”

A perfect finish. You end it with an optimistic glance toward the future, leaving me satisfied.

I really like your style. Keep it up!
Anise Cary chapter 9 . 3/16/2010
I really like the way you've organized this. It's so nice to have the option to be able to read it all at once without having to change pages.

She knew nothing and therefore let herself join in the ignorance, soaking up the life that was never meant to be hers - This is an interesting line. It makes me wonder what her life was supposed to be.

I really enjoy the parallelism of the last lines of stanzas I, II, and I. It's so interesting to see the progression of her fall intermingled with the other lines.

So she cries it out, lets it go, heads back to the starting line. - great line, I can really visualize this

this is a wonderful poem
Isca chapter 3 . 3/6/2010
"She was ugly. Her knees hit the ground." I like the connection here between outward "ugliness" and inner "sin." I like the image of the speaker falling upon her knees - begging for forgiveness? kneeling to service someone? Either way, this is powerful.
yourKonstantine chapter 9 . 3/2/2010
This is different, in a good way. It's kind of avant-garde and I like that about it. Considering the title, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that the "she" is meant to symbolize you?

I really enjoyed this, as I enjoy all your writing. I do quite like it and I hope you will continue with more pieces like this.

Kristen