Reviews for Falling on Unyielding Ground
tigerlily chapter 30 . 5/7/2010
It's the details - like, say, the suturing 101 lesson, or the specifics of military offenses - that really add the versimilitude to this story. And they really do sell cookies made with whiskey in Ireland, in case you were wondering. Any of the team have rellies in Amsterdam?

I laughed out loud at Tomblin's line about babysitting, because I had this horrible image of her at twelve or so making her young charges do push-ups and march in formation.

Also, I'm very glad that Tomblin and Cunningham have at least sort of resolved things, if not specifically talked about why they were *really* fighting. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, kiddies.
tigerlily chapter 28 . 5/7/2010
I thought someone was going to start throwing punches in this part, but as it turned out the only punches thrown were of the 'smacked in the face by the obvious' sort. It reminds me a little of the time that Ziva deliberately bore the brunt of Paula's anger when her team were blown up. Sometimes, you have to push people to feel like crap so that they can feel better afterwards. Except it's pretty clear that he doesn't hate Tomblin. ;)

That being said: Is it wrong to be amused by the many ways that smart people can be stupid?
zatl chapter 37 . 5/6/2010
aww. this time the entire last paragraph made me smile.

oh, and just out of curiosity, how far are you going on this in relation to The Price of Honesty.

cause I'm loving this, but I'm also seriously missing the tiva. :D

either way, can't wait for more.
tigerlily chapter 27 . 5/6/2010
Ah, that temper's going to get you in trouble someday, Kim... even though if someone asked her, I bet she wouldn't be able to say why it incited such a strong reaction. Funny how we're blind to what's right in front of us, huh?

It's especially poignant to follow so soon after Jeff realising he's missing her, or that there's something beyond friendship that's worth missing. My money would still be on Tomblin if they end up duking it out, though...
duckypantz chapter 37 . 5/6/2010
i just had a revelation... you know that show mercy? this is kinda kinda kinda reminding me of that. if i squint my eyes and turn my head sideways. but it's more than that, and a little less complicated. but the war is still the same.

i would be angry and pulling my hair out instead of having a knowing smile, if i were tomblin. seriously. unrequited is one thing, but semi requited love while he is engaged is a whole nother barrel of monkeys!

great chapter by the by!
tigerlily chapter 25 . 5/5/2010
'Woman, get me a drink.'

Ahahaha! Yeah, that'd go down like a sack full of lead if it were anyone else but Jeff saying it, I think. I can't see Kim as the housewife type, unless she was tied up and at gunpoint. Even then I think she'd rather commit hara-kiri than put on a frilly apron and get in the kitchen.

And... of all the medical shows, *Scrubs* is the accurate one? Good to know.
tigerlily chapter 22 . 5/5/2010
Well, we all know why Jeff is there... because he's in lurve, even if he doesn't know it yet. ;) I guess it would be pretty hard for non-military people to understand what life is like when deployed, but you'd think Steph would be trying a little harder to be an understanding pair of ears, really.

Just one little niggle - I think you mean 'plural' as in more than one when you're talking about Kim's brothers, rather than 'pleural', which as far as I know is some kind of medical term for... something to do with the lungs. Sorry, it's a little OCD of me to mention it, but I thought you might want to know.

Still loving every bit of this story.
zatl chapter 36 . 5/5/2010
:) haha. that last line made me laugh.

great chapter.

just what I needed after my mind numbing AP calc test.

can't wait for the next!
tigerlily chapter 18 . 5/4/2010
Neat tie-in between now and what's to come with the mention of Tomblin's education. Have I said yet how much I love the dry humor in this story? It makes me snort out loud on a regular basis. ;)
tigerlily chapter 16 . 5/4/2010
Snarking! Swearing! Snide references to the crapness of ER! What more could you want from the first meeting of Tomblin and Cunningham? Pitch-perfect as always.

(Though I read the chapter, like, four times and couldn't spot the mystery phrase. Late hour or pneumonia-induced exhaustion, take your pick. Either way, care to share?)
duckypantz chapter 36 . 5/4/2010
and NCIS begins... woho. and i did like the double entendre... cute. and a little hot. i would have said yes sir... but that's because i don't filter myself too much.

love tomblin, you've developed a GREAT character.
tigerlily chapter 15 . 5/3/2010
Didn't someone indirectly point out Tomblin in one of the early chapters? Shame on you, Jeff, for not paying more attention. I have a feeling he will be soon enough ;)

I think I'm in love with your support cast, btw. The whole rude, crude, straight-up lot of them (except for Savage, who might not have much longer to live) are very likeable. And then there was the sheet farting exchange, which was just genius. Nuh-uh, I don't secretly have the humour sensors of a twelve year old. Luckily, I'm no longer in the library, and the only one to stare at me in disapproval was my Labrador.

The best part about this is that I know there's still another 20-odd unread chapters to go...
tigerlily chapter 14 . 5/3/2010
I love the 'officers as students' thing - it gives ignorami like myself something to picture when thinking about the battalion. And for someone who doesn't appear to be particularly vulgar (as far as I know, anyway), you definitely have 'officer-speak' down pat.

And Cunningham draws closer to meeting Tomblin. Welcome to the Anti-Suck, I think. ;)
tigerlily chapter 13 . 5/3/2010
I love that Tomblin doesn't let anyone push her around, even if in doing so she seems to have made an enemy of this Savage guy. I bet she could take him. And the insight into deployed life, typical banter and everything else continues to be awesome.

Still thoroughly enjoying - I did try for a little while to finish an essay, but I gave up in favour of reading more. I can't wait - given what we know about their future - to see what happens when Kim and Jeff meet.
waitingtoflyhotmail.com chapter 7 . 5/3/2010
I really wanted to Google 'Desperate Balls' just to see if you were having us on, but there are some things you just don't type into a search engine.

Also, Tomblin? Is seriously awesome. That is all.

tigerlily