Reviews for Troubadour's Folly
Michael Kelso chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
I always have a hard time with poems that sometimes ryhme and sometimes don't (being a rhymer myself), so this poem had me a little off kilter. I loved the language, very olde english. It had a feel of being told in an olde English tavern. I was also confused by the line space between "What had I feared but this?" and "I knew. That is for me..."

Overall, very good for just being bored.
person is gone chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
So, I thought I'd check out what this was about :) Since I already know about the homoerotic elements, we'll see.

Well, for the most part I would have thought it was a man, until "The old maid" line, but I guess that was your intention. Down to it. I liked lines like this: "Restless fingertips which would not settle," - portrays the old woman's predicament really well.

Overall I think it's a good poem. Each stanza seems nicely brought together and well set apart, but I felt a jump between the third and fourth. You're talking about how the older lady feels slightly understood, and then suddenly the younger one is taken, and that's it over. I feel as if something was missing in between, even just one line. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the jump seems too sudden.
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 8/6/2010
This review is brought to you by the Review Marathon. For more information, see the link in my profile.

This poem is really abstract, at least to me. The plotline you’ve got going seems to jump around a bit, and there doesn’t seem to be a theme that is easily discernable. I guess you probably didn’t mean for there to be a plot in this piece, but I don’t think I like that. I’m a big fan of plot.

On the other hand, your word choice is exquisite. I can see that every word and phrase was chosen for a specific reason, and I really love the effort you obviously put into this aspect of the poem. It’s really great, and adds to the piece’s imagery.