Reviews for Too Good to be True
Arista Everett June chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Oh, what bittersweetness; and yet I enjoyed every word.
Lili Grey chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
Oh, goodness. I don't know how I feel about this one. I like it, yet somethings bother me about it. I think part, if not all of my frustration is born from my lack of reading well written and contemporary poetry, as well as literature in general. Forgive me if this critic is born from my lack of experience. My review, however naive, is sincere.

Overall, the poem is very modern and contemporary which is a good thing. The imagery is nice, perhaps wonderful would be a better word. Overall though, it feels a tad nebulous to me, although maybe that's what you were going for. I suppose a lot of it has to do with intent.

As I read this I feel like as you write you're warming up and writing better. The first stanza doesn't really do it for me. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or maybe it's not supposed to make sense but it just doesn't sound right in my mind. And using ago feels like a cop out (No offense! I hate it when I use a wrod twice. I feel like I'm not living up to my potential. And you have far more potential than I.)

Anyway, the second stanza makes more sense, although the imagery is still a little odd. But after that it really hits home for me. The only thing I have a question about is "and though my eyes are wetly falling on my lids, they are stalling" because I'm wondering if eyes should be tears.

Okay, overall this is what I'm trying to say: I like the poem, the story that's being told. I'm not sure whether it was a stylistic choice or a group of accidents that caused this weird nebulous imagery that doesn't quite make sense. If it is a stylistic choice, perhaps you should make it clearer to the reader by carrying throughout the poem. Your friend though, is right. This is something one would find in a contemporary group of published works.

Lastly, please, to save me from humiliation, delete this review if I am just some lesser literary creature unable to understand some true literary greatness that is still far beyond my reach.

My congratulations, and apology.
GirlWithTheBrokenSmile chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
Loved the rhyming pattern:] Really unique and interesting.

And the poem itself was intense, resigned yet desperate.

Great work:]
I Am The Masquerade chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
This was really beautiful D. I really enjoyed it, and I love how well-written it was. It's the kind of poem that you'd see in a published collection, and I just love the way that you crafted the use of rhyming to make it flow the way it did. Great job.

-Masq