Reviews for Dorcus in the Hive
Louis Denair chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
The devil dwells in the detail- this piece is full of juicy bits and pieces that make it a worthwhile dish. The speaker is in a forest "full of stags" which connects to the dorcus which is in fact a "stag beetle". The mourning comparison of the black beetle is witty and artful and delightfully connects with the "grave locus" phrase later on.

Indeed, the "Lift a branch for us, Dorcus" has a sort of sacred ring to it, a prayer in fact and the double repetition achieves a striking effect of sorrowful desperation.

Great imagery, I could easily envisage a man ravaging the orchard, devouring plums and peaches, a sort of garden of eden. Good work.
Isca chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
"I've been to forests stuffed full of stags." Striking image.

"Lift a branch for us." There's something very biblical about this line; it's fascinating.

"I devour these fruits when they slip from limbs." Whoa. Excellent writing here.
drink me pretty chapter 1 . 4/28/2010
Beautiful.

Sad in its implications of

utmost isolation, but undeniably

profound in its portrayal.
Faithless Juliet chapter 1 . 4/28/2010
This is really interesting, very whimsical, yet also very modern, and a little bit frightening. I was afraid for Special in this scene, but very interesting, and a great read. Keep up the good work.

Much love,