Reviews for The Man Named Justice
Maroon Denim chapter 17 . 1/26/2017
Oh, this is marvelous. It is quite unlike anything I ever have read- in a magnificent way. I have not the words for an apt compliment- or rather I have words in abundance, but know not how to arrange them.

I exit the room with a salute.
silailo chapter 17 . 4/26/2012
I've been craving an interesting western and I'm so glad I found this one. I've gotten used to the lack of quotation marks and I love your style of storytelling. I've been riveted to this story and can't wait to read more!
Maladicta chapter 17 . 2/11/2012
I think it flows really well. You're warning set me up to be a bit more discerning about the flow and tempo, and I really couldn't see any problems. Loving your story and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Aranel Abeille chapter 16 . 11/15/2011
Oh, I am just wrecked. I think the back-and-forth is wonderfully effective. The disjointedness adds to the sense of urgency and conflict. The repetition of "the day Lawman died" just drives it home. It builds and builds and the chaos and turmoil grow, and then the ending is quiet.
fantasylover1204873632 chapter 1 . 9/20/2011
Absolutely beautiful work. Rarely do I see such talent on Fiction Press...this deserves not only to be read, but to be published. Much applause to you. My favorite line had to be the very first; it captivated me and drew me in, like an artist's painting. Amazing how words can do that to you when used by a master.
Aranel Abeille chapter 14 . 9/13/2011
I'm so glad- so, so, so glad- that you've kept going with this! It's beautiful. I love how you got into the question of what they are- stories or concepts or figments... and in a way they are just ideas but they're real. I like the tension. I like how Justice and Lawman, the characters, are talking about how they relate to each other but also how lawmen relate to justice. Such a cool idea. Makes me think of Pandora's Box.
METRO SKiiES chapter 12 . 9/13/2011
'Fraid I don't have a fictionpress, just a fanfiction account... but, since I wandered over, I feel like I'm still responsible for leaving a review if I like a story~

Well... I don't really have a lot of words today, it seems.

In the bluntest form, I really like your story. I hope you keep writing it, because it's incredibly interesting. Personally, I find Westerns to be thrilling, but mixed with a fantasy of this caliber, and as a secondary theme at that, it's really unlike anything I've ever read. It feels more like a book than someone's online story, honestly.

One of the things I find really impressive is how, apart from the switches between fantasy and the real world, the Oni Princess faces real historical issues without any of them being gimmicky or overblown.

The balance of all the elements is really cool, and everything's so smooth. I understand a little more with each progression, after reading the first paragraphs and having not the slightest idea what was going on, then the second chapter with a completely different setting than the first.

Figured I ought to drop a review instead of keeping this to myself~ way more people should be reading this, it's fantastic. I'm going to link a friend to this story, I know she'd really like it, even if she does think I'm a little bit nuts for loving the Old West so much. But this really seems to be a genre of its own.
Axelle Emmanuelle chapter 2 . 2/11/2011
I just finished reading the first two chapters of this story and have really enjoyed it so far. I love the way you have weaved the fantasy in with the western aspect, developing a complex but enjoyable story line that has definitely left me wanting to read on. The feel of the fantasy, the switching to and fro between the Oni Princess narrative and the over-arching quest of the girl, makes for a very rich tale. The detail in the description is just right, anymore and I think it would border on maudlin - as it is, I like it very much. It makes for a deep read which is nice.

For a McCarthy fan like me, I have really enjoyed seeing another author experiment with the style he uses [specifically in The Road] and pull it off so well [even if McCarthy's lack of quotation marks bug me, I mind it less with your story for some reason lol]. I love the set up, the characters and the action; the pace is good considering the style you are using. Normally I would expect to be at this point at around chapter five or six not chapter two but it works well and I find myself preferring it.

I can't wait to see where this story goes, from the start already given I'm anticipating that it will be a wonderful read. I like the sort-of similarities between this and True Grit, in fact if True Grit was a western fantasy I imagine it would be like this [that's a compliment, I promsie]. Whether you intended it or not, I also love the Lonesome Dove reference - I love that book :) Thanks for sharing this, I'll get on with the next chapters now.

Happy writing,

-ST
Maladicta chapter 8 . 11/11/2010
I'm really intrigued by your story. Its enthralling and your characters are quite complex. I'm excited to see where the Oni story goes, and how it ends! I'm really looking forward to readying more.

Your story makes me think of artwork in my mind.
a99515 chapter 7 . 6/23/2010
Having read this story from chapter 1 to chapter 7 like the author said It is different . Like it I love it it's a awesome pease of writting showing great talent
Aranel Abeille chapter 7 . 5/29/2010
I'm really loving this. The way you've married the fantasy storyline with the Western setting is fascinating. I need to go back and re-read the parts with the Oni Princess, because I'm not sure how that fits in, but I like that there are so many layers. In the encounter with Noriko you added a ton of depth to Justice's story by hinting at all the supporting characters we haven't met yet. I liked that they all had both titles and names- like "Lawman" was named Michael. It makes me wonder if Justice has a "real" name as well. The fact that they have names like Hope, Justice, Lawman, etc. gives it a very mythological feel. Anyway, I really like this and can't wait for the next chapter. : )
Aranel Abeille chapter 1 . 5/28/2010
WOW. I love this. the characters are so vivid. I've never read The Road, but I like this style. It suits the narrative and the mood.