Reviews for The Sane Writer's Guide To: The Mary Sue
Tomoyuki Tanaka chapter 1 . 1/11/2016
Thanks for the guide, it's extremely useful! I had best recommend this to a few writers I know (I personally have benefited from it). This is enlightening.
Sketchy-d00d chapter 1 . 6/2/2015
Haha I was afraid my character Faeveren was a Mary Sue and she might be... She's half elvish half dwarfish and she has silver white hair and violet eyes. She's talented in fights with swords and bows and arrows yet when it comes to magic and spells she tends to lack what's necessary. Backstory is pretty dark and exotic; her parents were killed blah blah. Oh yeah, she's also the princess of both the elves and the dwarfs... :\ -Cat.
ijh chapter 1 . 10/29/2012
I think Harry Potter is obnoxious. He is handsome, self sacrificing, and brave, but of course he is so modest he won't admit it. Seriously, does the guy have even one flaw?
I don't think Bella is a Mary Sue. She has flaws.
Fluffness chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
This was awesome. Many times have I stumbled across a Sue/Stu in fandoms (this is where my dislike of OCs has come from, even if not all of them are bad) and I got sick of reading fanfics for a while. I've also been working on a story, when I realized that my characters had many of the Sue/Stu traits and re-wrote them all. It's really helpful to have someone write about the Sue/Stus, and was glad you pulled out different sources, not just one. (Yes, TvTropes is a great source! Also glad to see a troper (: ) Thanks for writing this, and I do hope you'll continue, even if it's been a year or so.
bustedbyherparents chapter 1 . 10/21/2010
Thank you for writing this essay. It is very helpful, as I struggle to write interesting characters. All of my own characters seem alike, or just like me, or my current crush. :D This is going to help me in changing the things about my characters that make them Mary Sue-ish. Again, thanks for sharing!

Muzica
Violet-Madness chapter 1 . 9/30/2010
Thank you!
Octoberly chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
Nice. You just said almost everything needed to be said about Mary Sue-ness. It's true, nearly everyone's had one (I know I have...) I found this really helpful and I think you did a really great job. :)

Thanks a lot for the good advice.

Owl Moon
LaFarfalla chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
This was both insightful and humorous! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I definitely agree with a lot of the points you made. Especially Twilight. Bella is such a blatant Mary Sue it makes me want to stab the book with a stake. I really like your essay writing style. Keep up the good work!
name redacted chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Once again, well written, very useful, not to mention accurate. I can't count how many books I've gotten into and then been like '...wait... there are no flaws..." You definitly seem to have a good way around it, which is absolutely admirable, because I can't write a balanced character for my life (so many Anti-sues). Do you have any tips on redeeming Anti-sues, or protagonists that are just plain unlikeable, if not actually bogged down in flaws/lacking talent of any kind?

*brief note: noticed a few minor mispellings. You may want to spell check. See: "Heck, maybe she's a horrible cook no *mater* how hard she tries."
LittleBlackBox chapter 2 . 5/24/2010
Hm...interesting...I like it!
Cucumber-girl chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
This was good too. I hope you become more famous on FP!
commonshrew chapter 2 . 5/12/2010
i think i am madly in love with you.
BookObsesserNumberOne chapter 2 . 5/11/2010
Thank you immensely for writing this. I have never had the courage to write fiction, due to the fact my characters always become self-inserts/Mary-Sues. I'm sorry, but I just not that talented. What I advise to do about Mary-Sues is roleplay where you can make more than one character. My first character was a self-insert, although I managed to give her my flaws. After getting comfortable with this character, I tried another unique one, with different flaws, appearance, and personality. Its been going well so far, so I highly recommend multi-person roleplay. I've seen people who have constant Mary-Sues learn to write and juggle new characters through it.
Gravey chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
WHOA! You are an excellent essay writer!
Wendy Isingold chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
Wow, this helps a lot. I made sure to read every detail of this because I don't want my character to be extremely unflawed. She hasn't gotten the flaws out yet, but merely hinted at them. Next chapter, they'll be out and leaking into her world. She will be real. Anyways, I liked this, and it's very informational.