Reviews for The Sane Writer's Guide To: Titles
Epic Myth chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
Man, now I got to reconsider all my titles. I'm not sure how to make them clever.
My.Writing.Is.My.Amulet chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
Nice job :)
Aspiring Author chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
Beautiful, just beautiful! Been wondering whether my title is bland or not.
nnnnnnnn chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
I'm terrible at picking titles for my stories. After reading this, I finally realized that the name for my story on ficpress isnt very good.

Anyways, going to use this advice, next time I'm going to think of a title for a story.
Fluffness chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
This is helping a lot, since I can never find a good title for my plots/stories. You have really good advice! :D
Serendipital chapter 1 . 4/13/2011
Ah...I wonder if my title is good? Hm...no double meanings...
soupcan chapter 1 . 10/2/2010
It made me laugh when I got to the words "heart" and "night/black/dark/darkness," since the book "Heart of Darkness" is so famous. (And a classic! though I don't actually like it myself...)
91816119 chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
Another excellent guide. I can really tell that this could certainly help lots of people. I, especially, suck at choosing titles. I mean, I've changed one story's title several times too many, and have FINALLY settled with These Dreams Run. Is that any good? *Shrugs*

Helpful anyway...

Tuskface
Kearston Marie chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
These sentences you're putting in quotes at the end of some paragraphs... from where are you quoting them? I'm just curious.

This was helpful, although I don't agree with all of it. As someone who spends hours in bookstores and thrift stores looking for good stories, I try to give the book a second chance if I don't like the title by reading the synopsis/summary on the back or the book jacket. I may be the exception, but I think a lot of people do this.

Oh, and I'm glad I gave you the idea for another Sane Writer's Guide from my Narration review.

Good luck!
Octoberly chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
Good job. This is definitely going to help me out, since I suck at titles. Thanks for the good advice!

Owl Moon
LaFarfalla chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
Once again, another intriguing and humorous piece! I do love your writing style! It keeps me reading all the way through. Haha and I see that Twilight once again appears in the 'bad example' category. That's because it's so good at showing us as writers what NOT to do! XD

Although I did agree with a lot of your points, like using bland nouns like "Song" or "The So-and-so's story", I didn't completely agree with you that one word names should be avoided. I mean, how many classic works of literature have the names of the main (or main-ish) character in them? For example: Hamlet, Jane Eyre, Moby Dick, Frankenstein...etc. And there's Harry Potter but then she always adds "and The Chamber of Secrets" or whatever so I guess that doesn't count. 3 And I guess all of those books are old classics that everyone knows are good already so I guess they didn't have to have exciting names. Idk...now I'm just rambling XD

But yeah, some stories I think don't need a super exciting title if, say, the cover does all the speaking or the little description on the back is super exciting.

Okay I'm done now. Your essay just got me thinking, is all. Only good writers can do that! XDD
name redacted chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Great advice. Like the other two guides, well written and informative. All seems pretty logical. Do you apply this to titling the Sane Writer's Guides? :)

PS: Thanks for the links on your profile. is incredibly helpful.
WolfletteMoon chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
With all due respect, I think you're talking out of your ass on this one. All of those so-called rules I've seen broken more than effectively. And that's the thing. You can't give commands and rules in these things, just advice. Because at the end of the day, you're on the same site as the rest of us.
Cucumber-girl chapter 1 . 5/13/2010
This was a useful and informative piece, and I shall go on and read your other installments.
BookObsesserNumberOne chapter 1 . 5/12/2010
Ahh... another fabulous installment of The Sane Writer's Guide. Please continue writing. Titles are another one of my obstacles. By the time the Sane Writer's Guide is over, I might actually be able to pull off a story.