Reviews for A Hundred Year Love Story
lookingwest chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
Writing/Technique- Usually I'm not a fan of dream sequences in writing, but this one didn't bother me. I like that it's plausible because the main character is a ghost and anything can happen. I also think there was really no other way to portray that past and that went well-it was a bit weird sometimes towards the end because they didn't seem to be dreams anymore, just flashbacks, but it still worked.

Characters- I liked Henry because he was a sympathetic character, especially in the flash backs. I'm glad that the mystery of why the woman visited his grave was revealed too, and it seems that she really helped him moved on, which was also rewarding for me as the reader. Another favorite-the cat! Great device to use, I didn't see it coming.

Setting- My favorite setting was the oak tree, etc. by Henry's gravestone. I really liked the way you described it and continued to bring it up throughout the story, like mentioned the squirrel and then how he hasn't ventured far from it in the hundred years he has been there.

Enjoyment- I liked this story, you really have a way with short stories and you always start them and end them in a time that makes me feel satisfied. This was very self-contained and tightly notched which I also appreciated. Liked the way you told the story, the way you used the cat, and the way you revealed why the woman visited the grave. It was a good insight into her life and her boyfriend/husband's.
Cole Culain chapter 1 . 8/18/2011
This is a prize review for the WCC.

First off, I find the concept of this very interesting. A ghost who is clinging to his earth-bound existence is, while not rare, always cool to see. It was also refreshing that this was a very benevolent ghost, and not vengeful or anything. The only qualm I have is that he really didn't have any unfinished business, just remorse.

Also, I happened to love the little bit where Henry possesses the cat. In most circumstances, an author with just write he went into the cat and possessed it," but you took it further and really described the process. It was good, because you described how it felt for both of them. Also, you made it interesting by saying the cat could see his ghost. I always knew cats were creepy little buggers...

Another good thing about this story was the little flashbacks throughout, and how they only appeared when he was dreaming. It was interesting to see that all of these things were repressed memories, things that contributed to his identity, but also things he repressed. I'm sure there's a psychological diagnosis for that somewhere...

And then, as like, every other reviewer has said, the ending was great. It was just sweet enough to counterbalance the melancholy of the rest of the story, but I also liked the reincarnation aspect. I'm a firm believer in that, so... good job! :)
Elennar chapter 1 . 5/25/2011
Hi there! Here from the RG!

So, the first thing that hooked me to this story was the phrase "hundred years dead"- it was quite a clever rewording of the usual phrasing, so yeah, totally loved it!

The next thing I liked about this was the fact you chose to write this story in 1st person narrative of the ghost- I think that gave this story a heady shot of creepiness, especially in the first scene.

I've BEEN to old cemeteries, and I HAVE gone around, weaving amongst the graves, reading the names. So the mental image of ghosts popping out and regarding me as I did that, not to mention following me back home, yep, I liked the feeling that gave me!
YasuRan chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
Quite a charming story :). The opening definitely had a hook to it, beginning with the announcement of death. Orrather, stating it as if it were a simple fact. Matched well with the title as well.

The scene transitions were well-executed. I liked the subtle sense of mystery in Henry's curiosity about the woman and her intentions. It was a great plot device in getting him out of the graveyard and into a day of her life. The interactions were of a simple kind, not overly drawn-out or melancholic which heightened the poignancy factor in the long run. For some reason, I liked the dialogue in Henry and Alice's flashback scenes a lot. Very quaint and romantic ("Time goes the same pace everywhere, no matter what. Before you know it, winter will be over and you'll be back here, with me.")

Characters are well fleshed out, especially considering that this is a oneshot. We get a nice feel of Alice and her personality through Henry. You wrote him quite nicely as well, making him someone we could sympathize with and even root for in the end. Relationships were shown, not told which something that I always appreciate in good writing. Given the plot, it would have been too easy to take the tragic route and have Henry live a most unfulfilled afterlife but you avoided that scenario. The joy and grief in each situation was implied through thought and action ('But his Alice was not one of them. She never came back.')

Your writing is flawless as always. No spelling or grammar mistakes to be found. The pacing was spot-on for such a plot too without dragging on or rushing. The plot twist of sorts at the end fit in perfectly and leaves the reader with one of those 'warm fuzzy feelings' so to speak.

Well done :)
R. Tist chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
So beautiful and haunting. :") I almost cried a couple of times. I think I probably would have, if the story didn't have that enchanting charm that I've only read in a few stories. A brilliant job. XD
jake Chan chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
Wow, that was interesting. I've been fascinated by 'ghost lore' lately, so this instantly had me hooked. So, I really liked how you wrote this, the plot, and the overall feel of the short! I'm interested in how you did your ghosts, but wondering why any ghost would hang around his gravestone if he could go anywhere he wanted, and didn't need to sleep. It's a minor detail- maybe I should stop wondering and just read. :p

I liked how you kept the story moving at a good pace, and didn't bog it down with too many details or thoughts. I thought it was a stroke of genius that you allowed the cat to 'see' him. So that's why cats are so creepy, because they're possessed by ghosts! Amazing.

The flashback was a good break from life in an empty house. There's not much character development, but I liked how you made the dialogue '1890s' like.

And wow, that is such a twist at the end. I've never thought about ghosts in terms of second lives, that is not with coming back as a person again. And I feel like you wrote this really clearly, with switching from Henry and Alice's flashbacks, along with the present story line.

I liked how you ended it, with Henry moving on to the next life, finally. I wanted to cheer him on.

Overall, this is amazingly clear and believable. I really enjoyed reading this, and that despite being a ghost story, it's not dark and dreary. Actually, I felt like it was light and hopeful. So, good job with this, and thanks for sharing it!
Raven-Illeen Saint Claire chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
Creepy. But enlightning. :)
lili999 chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
We are a leading company that wholesales Adidas shoes, brand shoes

,bags,caps,watches ect. such as Ipod nano, lv bags,caps,nike shoes,

air jordan series(1-22),air force1,air max series,shox series,

ape bapesta shoes,adidas shoes puma shoes etc. We have different colors,

fashionable designs for your choice. Top quality with a reasonable price,

Our product sell well all over the world,.And we also can make according

to your we accept mixed order. we also accept sample orde.

we have good relationship with many companies,we have good after sell

service and dispatching goods fast and safe,so if you are interested in it,

feel free to contact us:

web: /
Beast King chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
That was so...great. Such a bittersweet ending, it made me smile at the same time feel a little sad. Great story.
Lucille Haunted chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
That was awesome. Like, proper awesome. I always try to write a proper review, but there's not much more I can say. It was a good, well-rounded story, very well written. Keep it up! :)

Love, Lucille