Reviews for The Riddle of the Sphinx
darkershadeofpale chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
O

I am in awe.

This is my favourite thing you've ever written. Even including the one about the bridges and the ocean.

This is amazing. Like, just, incredible. I laughed when the Sphinx ate the greek guy. That's a beautiful bit of characterisation, right there.

I'm still in awe, by the way. Just ... wow. That's the most poignant observation about poetry I've ever heard. You should like, print that fable-thing on a million pieces of cardboard and distribute them on streetcorners, so that the entire world can know of your brilliance. Yes. You should do that.

. darker shade of pale
Malum Ad Malum chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
I would have been eaten. I suck at poetry. :P And now I learned my random fact of the day: 'poem' is Greek for 'to make.' Cool.

I enjoyed that.
SirScott chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
That is something to ponder from Homer. I like how you know your facts like Homer being blind.

SirScott
flyingtheskywithdragons chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
That's cool, and nice!
nickyO chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Ok, I think I might have to sit down in the sand too. Perfect description of what poetry can be.
sophiesix chapter 1 . 5/22/2010
ok, so i have thought, and i've come with two possibilities. Firstly, that Homer, in answering the Sphinxes question, rendered it mute 'killing' it, like in died in Oedipus' tale. Execpt that the Sphinx itself wasn't in Homer's version of Oedipus' tale. so maybe the Sphinx just crouched in uffish thought forever?

Second possibility is that poems of the Sphinx created it in the public's mind's eye, and hence sort of stole the soul of the one in the desert, turned it to stone. In which case, perhaps it would be better to have Euripides talk to the Sphinx, rather than Homer, seeing as Euripides wrote a poem about the Sphinx? hmm, i have the feeling i haven't quite got it...

But none theless, i love your creation of the sphinx. i could feel the heat of the sand and i love her callous and regular eating of people - her character came through nicely. and i love how teh writer triumphed over the barbaric monster! :D
Isca chapter 1 . 5/21/2010
Homer would say that the answer is "man." It's funny, at the question, "how does one make a poem?", I started to think in very Platonic terms, and thought of this whole "re-membering" spiel, but then I realized that the Sphinx probably would have eaten me, so I decided it was best to remain silent :P.
Saurosuchus chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
Simple yet meaningful piece packed with an slice of humor even. It is something to think about. _Making_ a poem turns into nothing worthwhile. You can't force any literary gem to appear on you paper. It makes you. Nice work.
Fresh Wildflower chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
It really makes you think. I've often wondered the same thing-'how does one make a poem' and the story has the simple answer, 'let the poem make you'.

I have never really written a poem, I'll remember this one.
Simply Prettyful chapter 1 . 5/20/2010
The answer is man!

What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon and three in the evening?

MAN!

Fourbaby

2Man

3old man with a walking stick!

You are good! but i had to anwer the original riddle for myself!
Eternal Skies chapter 1 . 5/17/2010
never knew poem meant to make! i keep saying it and saying it without even knowing what it is exactly

that's very true (phrase of the day). on a personal level, i never write something good unless "the words come to me" (smug -_-)

pretty genious-ish of you to use the sphinx, i liked how you depicted her as stupid when she's supposed to be a know-it-all. i think that tells us that people shouldn't be measured with the amount of things they know to see how smart they are.
J.A. Fletcher chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
This was very good, Punslinger. I enjoyed it.
tiger002 chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
Good point. A lot of meaning to this story, and is true about poetry. It isn't a simple formula to make something good. Great story.
William G. Thorne chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
wonderfully written. I suppose that question would be a rather hard one to answer, Homer is quite the guy to be able to stump the sphinx.

-William
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 5/15/2010
Ahh... is that what it's doing.

I'm not sure whether Homer told the truth or just wanted to get away. I think I'm going to be here for quite a while too.