Reviews for The Sane Writer's Guide To: Fantastic Creatures
91816119 chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
Really helpful offering not just the most common fantasy creatures, but ideas of less commonly used critters. Really very helpful guide. Maybe you could give me some pointers on my story, Incendia...?

Thanks, Tuskface
TheJediPenguin chapter 2 . 6/10/2010
Ahh! You wrote more! *Hugs*

Sorry if I deafened you with the fannish shriek.

Heehee, this is a rather good advice series. I enjoy reading it, and it makes me laugh sometimes.

For the next chapter might I suggest unicorns? Unicorns aren't given enough credit in modern stories.
Cucumber-girl chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
Cool. I like your systematic approach. Will you do a section on how not to make it cliched and keep it fresh with fantasy? I think a lot of authors find this quite hard.
name redacted chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
This guide is definitly an easy to follow, well written overview of a large number of fantasy creatures/ species. I had been expecting a slightly more general genre guide, but as it would appear in the author's note, other points will be coming later. I would recommend adding a note on the use of magical creatures, and means of incorporating them into a story, as well as the risks of bogging down a high fantasy story with too many elements that are wholly unfamiliar (if there is such a risk. I'm not entirely sure, though I would assume that introducing too many creatures which are purely of the authors creation, could result in confusion on the part of the reader, or infoduming by the author in an attempt to give readers a sense of the species, though I don't read a lot of high fantasy, so I could be mistaken.) Still, very useful and far reaching information. Thanks for writing.
LittleBlackBox chapter 1 . 5/24/2010
Cool! I can't wait for the chapter with mermaids!
EmoBitch chapter 1 . 5/21/2010
what the hell this is so crap. you clearly dont know anything about fantasy because why else would you use wikipedia to define dragon. no one cares what wikipedia thinks its all a load of s*! U NEED TO LEARN TO WRITE.

EMOBITCH

P.S why dont you stick some of your own stories up instead of telling us how to write!
WolfletteMoon chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
Firstly, hippogriffs and pegas are not the same. Hippogriffs are half bird, and have the front half, head and foelegs of a bird. Pegasus just have wings, aside from that they are completely horse.

I've never seen siren portrayed that way, it sounds more like harpies, that had the lower half of a bird, often an eagle or vulture, and were human fron the waist up, except they had wings, and beaks.

Also, I think you'll find, in modern fiction, dragons are rarely portrayed as beasts, but usually how they were portrayed in the inheritance cycle.

Frankly, I don't think you did your research. And you should, because anyone who's been to primary school could see these mistakes.
BookObsesserNumberOne chapter 1 . 5/17/2010
You forgot the unicorn. Of course, unicorns are considered girly, but Fablehaven made them deadly adversaries as well as pure-hearted and white to the point of gleaming.