Reviews for Essay 1
CountdownTillDawn chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
This peice almost made me cry due to the fact that up until about a year ago I was the kid you described in this passage. The one with a broken spirit and no freinds. For awhile I seriouslu considered suicide. I kept a knife in my dresser just incase I ever worked up the "courage" to slit my wrist. The world needs more people like you.

God Bless
Ruby Kart chapter 1 . 5/24/2010
You make several interesting points in this piece, and bring a lot of emotions to the surface for me. A fact I'm not entirely grateful for, but I'll be able to bear it.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I've been in an area where suicide seemed like the best way out, and I've been one to lose a friend to suicide. In both cases, I can't give entire credit to the world and the way the social heirarchy plays out.

Indeed, bullying is a major issue that has lead to a lot of deaths. Just last year a girl at a local school killed herself due to physical and verbal bullying.

If I were to argue anything, I would say that suicide is a choice. Indeed there are those who survive, and press forward to the brighter future. And there are those who have all traces of hope crushed underneath someone's harsh words or actions that leaves them with a sense of hopelessness that leads them to eventually take their own life. But the person on the outside is not entirely to blame.

Of course I feel guilty about my friends dying, because I constantly wonder if I had the power to stop it. If I could have said anything or done anything that would have changed their mind and made them think maybe tomorrow would be a better day. I live everyday wondering 'what if' and still can't come up with an answer.

I feel your passion for people out there who are bullied. And, yes, I'd love to make a difference and be that one person who sticks my hand out and decides popularity isn't worth someone else's life. In an ideal universe, that's all it would take. But sometimes we're too late.

Anyway, getting back to the review, I think it's a great piece. With some careful editing, I dare say you could make it a pitch to help with anti-bullying laws. Maybe examples of actual happenings would make it relevant enough to get other people in power to listen and take a stand against it.