Reviews for Culinary School
deefective chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
Lovely. I really liked the determined tone throughout all of this. The narrator really has their mind set on this dream and you can feel it in their words and it seeps into the whole piece. Very powerful and a tad inspirational. Lovely imagery of becoming an artist at culinary school. It's a great way to paint a picture and also, I just really love that line. The last line was also great just because it ended this whole piece beautifully and definitely. You raise some interesting ideas in the third stanza, actually. And I liked that because it made this piece much deeper and delved a little bit further into other topics besides following your dreams. Interesting. Nicely done.
lipleaf chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
I like the tone in this piece. You're talking about a subject that makes it easy to be angsty, yet the speaker doesn't sound hopeless or depressed, just sort of resigned and matter-of-fact. And at the end, she says she will be happy despite not accomplishing her dreams. That the reality of life- you might not get what you want, but that doesn't mean you can't be happy.

I do think the poem sounds a bit bland, though. There's not a lot of emotion, and while it's a good thing to not go overboard, you fell off the other extreme. The readers can't really relate that well because you don't express your feelings to them.