Reviews for Big Top
6756533 chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
Wow.

You have fabulous imagery in here - it's positively incredible. I love it all, but I especially adore the last two stanzas - beautiful, and poetic and very nearly perfect.
Isca chapter 1 . 6/16/2010
"While the lion tamer trains his lazy eye to loop-de-loop." Don't kill me, but I cuoldn't help but think of Mad-Eye Moody from HP. That mental image aside, I like the 'crazy' aspect to the lion tamer's personality. I'm also reminded of 'The Life of Pi' for some reason.

"Latchkey kids." That rolls off the tongue nicely.
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
I am terrible at reviewing poetry, but I will try my best.

I really like this piece. I was actually listening to Nouvelle Vague’s The Killing Moon while reading it, and the song has a sort of carnival feel to it; so it all blended in perfectly with my mood. The first stanza is wonderful, and it certainly caught my attention; which you held fast the whole way through. You paint such beautiful images and twist them to even more beautiful images. In such few words you evoke so many emotions and thoughts within me. I particularly like the line about the lion tamer training his lazy eye. I thought that was such a wonderful image. I also found it interesting your usage of “except” instead of “accept.” That was another interesting twist, thrown into and already oblique poem. While reading this it was as if I was a child again. There’s something so magical about carnivals with animals and eccentric characters; and you really captured that in this. I’m sure there are some other messages in this, but that’s the main thing I noticed while reading this. Excellent work, keep it up.

Liana
in theory chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
There is a very gypsy feel to this, I envision you scribbling this on a mucky piece of cloth hunched on the steps of a pretty minging caravan. Imagination can be cruel hehe.

Oh those last two lines just resound, absolutely stunning. The imagery is gorgeous throughout (especially 'the curves of the sky, though I see it as male - further enhancing your meaning, for me).

You have an ever-evolving style which is beautiful to witness in its transformation and expression.

Jack
Black Sparrow chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
I love the way you tell stories through poems. It amazes me :) This is brilliant stuff, I absolutely love it.

Great job and keep it up!
YasuRan chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
I love the way the hidden meanings of your words creep up on me suddenly:

'We ate fate,

fainting in the heat of it.'

Nice one. Again.