Reviews for An 8Letter Word
rte chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
I dunno, I would have went with him...
lookingwest chapter 1 . 10/1/2011
Knockin' em' down one by one, woo! Yeah this is totes a return that I should have done like almost near a month ago. Ugh. I'm one of those people, I think, that is most lax with those I know. When it should be the opposite. Anyway, sorryyyy!

So right off the first line, you have my total undivided attention. Definitely a hook there, liked the imagery too! Since this guy at the door with the cape seems to be the pivotal object of this story right away, I think the placement of the detailed description right off the bat definitely works, so I would never change that. Already like the theme of the crossword, I have a feeling that will come back into the story given the title. I feel like if someone was at my door dressed like that, I would shut the door in their face. (Mean!)

Omg. *dying of laughter at name* Okay so this is the point I would call the cops aattt...XDDD (ugh sorry, reaction review wanting to creep through!)

...as the man clambered over the rhododendrons and stumbled gracelessly onto the brick-paved patio. [Beautiful, loved this line so much! It's the imagery, again, very strong, liked the detail of the rhododendrons as well, you just don't see that used in stories that often so it's unique and loved the description.]

He smiled again... [Style: would omit "again"]

"...who don't actually contribute to society in any tangible way without our intervention." [Omg. *dies again*]

Excellent ending. I like the mystery of this whole story and what's really going on-the whole parody of the sci-fi future thing was hilarious. Loved the dialogue for the capped man, that was I think one of the bigger highlights of this short story. Really, this had me laughing out loud at points and it's so well written! Narrative flow was great, as was the dialogue for each of the characters. Really liked the imagery of this guy and how she handled him and I'm glad that at the end Virginia just said screw the future. This was really fun having written on Deck last night so I really enjoyed it! Thank you for the read Lyra, your work is always top-notch even when it's older! See you around the OTs/tumblr!
LunaoftheLight chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
This made me laugh so hard- thanks for the great story!
ShatteredUniverse chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
[FREELANCE REVIEW]

XD... What can I say about this piece overall besides the fact that it was bloody brilliant? Can't think of anything else at the moment, so I'll just go with "bloody brilliant!"

I loved the fact that he was in classic (as in 60-70 years ago) sci-fi attire, especially the cape. I could have almost heard Marcus say "Capes are cool!"

I did have a technical point I wanted to bring up, because, while not detracting from the story because of its parodied nature, it does act like pearls for a oyster for someone as well-versed in the trappings of the subgenre as me.

The sticking-point comes when you have your lead say "what if I'm supposed to do something important that alters your future". Strictly speaking, any changes that weren't self-corrected by the timestream itself would have *already* occurred relative to Marcus' personal "present" the instant he appeared in Ginny's time-frame, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

But, like I said before, that's only a minor irritant and only one to someone who eats and breathes time-travel theory the way I do. :P

Thanks for the good read!

John M. Carr
XxNoImaginationxX chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
Haha, this is a really cute, fun-loving piece.

The guy sounds like a real creep. The description you made was really good. The first person POV was helpful by providing her opinions of his fashion and gives everything a much nicer touch. Ginny is a seems like a very interesting and charismatic character!

The ending was great, and I like how you tied it all back to the crossword.

Though it does worry me a bit that you predict that the human race will be wearing orange and yellow capes in the future, but I do hope hats come back in!
Avery H chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
Lol, for a moment there, i thought this story was about Harry Potter & Ginny. Haha, IDK how that happened but i have another 8lettered word for lunatic: soulmate! )
jake Chan chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
This is hilarious, in an odd sort of way. I really like your description of the man, and the frog bit made me laugh. I'm wondering where on earth you came up with Marcus' name! By the time he was done saying his name, I'd have shut the door on him! Why Ginny didn't call the police if this man had really been ringing her doorbell for several minutes? I definitely would have.

This guy's speeches are crazy. You did a really good job of making up complete nonsense for him to say. And the ending is great, it just ties up the short really well.

I liked how this is lighthearted and seemingly pointless. I'm curious about what the class assignment was. Did you mean for this to be satirical, or was is it just a funny short?

Overall, I liked this, despite lack of real substance. It's funny and made me laugh, and I liked your descriptions. Good work!
Dautr abr du Sundavar chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
Lol crackpot. How appropriate. :) Very very funny, I loved it!
making an attempt chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
I love the crossword idea. The details in this are great by the way. I hope you got a good grade on this!
Kyllex chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
This was actually pretty amusing, haha! I like the concept of the crossword. Good job. (: