Reviews for The Eternal Dialogue
darkershadeofpale chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
I have never thought about this before.

Definitely an interesting - if sort of, unsavoury (ha. pun not intended, there) - way to think about it.

Now I'm just going to be wondering about this for the whole day.

You're really quite clever, Punslinger. And I'm beginning to love the way you write - it's simple and uncomplicated, and you get your message across in an incredibly direct and straightforward way (those two words mean the same thing. Oops).

It's kind of fascinatingly macabre.

And also. I love how you named them Grunt and Whine. That's mildly hilarious.

. darker shade of pale
Lyllyth chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
I like their names...Grunt. Whine. How caveman.

Anthropology has always interested me. I think looking at certain concepts from the persepective of teh members of society they exist in is very important. For some reason this just amused me. Maybe because it was ironic?
Anomander chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
A bitter kind of humor, though true. Writings like these make us realize the cruel side of our nature.
cazonetta chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
Though I can tell by your note that you haven't taken a basic college level economics class, this was an interesting "bit of whimsy" to say the least.
sophiesix chapter 1 . 6/18/2010
Grunt - awesome name. reminds me of the decision to let french canadians stay on in quebec when the english colonists won the battle there - they no doubt thought they were being nice and the french colonists ought to be grateful, lol. hard to weigh up teh ills of slavery and murder - they aer both deaths of a kind, and can be very painful or relatively painless...
tiger002 chapter 1 . 6/15/2010
That was good, your usual blend of humor and seriousness gets the point across well. Great job.
Isca chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
"Slavery is the wave of the future!" I love the subtle slave/wave internal rhyming; it really makes this line stand out.

"He was going to miss those roast-people feasts." Lol.
nickyO chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
Interesting "die a tribe" ;)

But more seriously, I would say slavery is more of a step to the side than a step forward. It is still an act of using, violence, consumption. I think our huge ethical leaps are based more on man's ability to recognize suffering in another and then to choose not to cause that suffering.

In modern civilization I'd say we fail ethically for the most part when we fail to recogonize what our actions or inactions are doing or leading. And yes, there are times when we are simply being self-serving.

Man:

Opportunistic

omnivore who can but does

not Have to eat meat
IndifferentIgnorance chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
I never thought of it like that.

It's good to know some humans still support Grunt and his views.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
Ha! Loved the names - Grunt and Whine. :D Very funny stuff. I especially liked, "You just can't accept progress." The image of "cavemen" so it were, talking like that just cracks me up. Keep writing! :)
Eternal Skies chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
[Whine laughed. "What a stupid question! They'll be so grateful to us for sparing their lives that they'll be our devoted servants forever after."] I found this so ironic and corny I had to laugh :D

Humans may change their "barbarian" course for every new age and presumbly become more civilised, but they never fail to find cloaked substitutions that are moral, only to satisfy their conscience.

Thanks for the interesting new info
East-0f-Eden chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
i didn't think you were taking this down an antro route. I thought your humorous message was going to be related to "if you feed a man for a day he'll be hungry again but if you teach him to grow food he'll be satisfied" (ok that's not the exact quote but you know what i mean.)
William G. Thorne chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Though this is meant to be humorous, I found a lot of truth in this little banter between these men.

its not uncommon for chimps to kill and eat another chimp from a rival group, and though I am not comparing us to chimps it makes me wonder if we were any different as paleolithic man.

I hear that human meat tastes like pork, doesnt seem like a bad idea when you put it in that perspective...

hahaha wonderfully done my friend!

-William
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
Lovely names :D

And um.. yeah.. But I'm not sure whether I'd rather die or be a slave for the rest of my life. That said, I am probably the slave to quite a lot of conventions and ideas.
J.A. Fletcher chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
This was very good, as always, Punslinger. I liked your perspective on the issue of slavery.