Reviews for What God?
Piano Fox chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Well I believe in God because he is the most logical choice to believe in.

As for why he doesn't reveal himself when we ask him to.

Perhaps it is because we are not close enough to him. When I was a kid prayed God give me wisdom like Solomon but to help me avoid his bad end, and show yourself to me so I can believe.

So while I never saw a physical manifestation of him. I think I have become slightly wiser.

My mom says when she was very young and her parents were fighting all the time she saw heaven.

And in the Bible he came down as Jesus(where people saw him and crucified him), and he also revealed himself to Moses on the mountain and all the other people were too afraid to meet him.

So why doesn't he just pop bye and say Hi?

I figure it's because we aren't close enough, because originally in the Garden of Eden God chatted with Adam and Eve but then they BS'ed to him and pushed him away.

But he still didn't forsake them and even talked to Cain who murdered Able.

So if we are as Holy as Moses or like the crying prophet Job, then I think we can have the privilege of speaking with God.

Here's another take on it:

/questions/about-god/why-doesn%E2%80%99t-god-show-himself

I think you can prove God exists logically. Simply by proving Truth is Absolute not Relative.

If you want me to go in depth or have any questions at all please let me know and I will do my best to help!
hobocamp chapter 1 . 11/23/2010
thank you for sharing something so personal as your journey with spirituality... i would recommend expanding this piece to give the reader a better idea of where you're coming from!

imagine you'd never met you, and re-read the piece... think of all the questions you'd have!

-what was your experience like with church as a child?

-what was your experience like as an "extremist"?

-what disappointed you about the pastor's wife's answers?

-what about family life, relationships, and psychology and philosophy were you taught? how did it relate to your journey away from christianity?

-what path have you focused on, the one you describe as honest? what do you believe? what other forms have your beliefs taken?

i've traveled through several different spiritual identities, and i love hearing the journeys of other people! open up this piece for someone who doesn't know you!

it will make a really great essay if you ever choose to expand it :) keep on writing!
Punslinger chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
You did a good job of explaining your point. I will reply by comparing God to other nonphysical concepts, such as love. We can't prove that love exists as part of us like a hand or foot. But most of us believe love exists because we feel it within ourselves. In the same way, many people feel God's presence within them and around them. If that feeling inspires them to try to be better people, we shouldn't criticize it just because we don't feel it.

On a practical level, belief in God should help people work out systems of morals and laws that help them improve themselves and have better relationships with others. Philosophers and theologians have argued over what are the best morals and laws throughout the ages.
Julius Julius chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
Well, atheism isn't the only alternative to a Christian life. I'm a practicing Buddhist and that philosophy has served me well over the years. It's teachings are very concrete, and I dare say quite clinical in the respect that they teach self-discipline and health. This kind of discipline of course spans over a person's lifetime. Christianity in my opinion has become watered-down to the point where a person will where a cross around their neck and would still be inept at reciting the four gospel writers, the first five books of the torah, etc. But I shouldn't point fingers just because you and I are against the same thing. Good luck with your life.