Reviews for The Element Rising, Part 1 of the Element Trilogy
one-touch lamp chapter 22 . 6/26/2012
Oh. There's Ruth. Hello...

Sigh. No answers in the epilogue. Not that I was expecting any. My mind feels like a demolished lego creation. All the pieces lying everywhere,mocking me, the intended structure lost and hidden.

Do you ever need to take pain killers for the headaches you get writing this?

P.S.

Why does Caiaph never die?
one-touch lamp chapter 21 . 6/26/2012
WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLL?

Gah! I had no idea you could make me so frustrated! With a story! Well, if I ever doubted that I could sympathize with Anton, I do NOW. Confused as all get out. Shocked.

The battle makes sense now, of course.

Just waiting to find out the WHY's (there'd better be reasons revealed soon!) and HOW's and where the freak Ruth is.

Thanks a lot, brother!
one-touch lamp chapter 20 . 6/26/2012
I knew he wasn't real! In the meantime, I'm beginning to think that trying to guess where you are taking this story is futile. Regardless of biblical references, it doesn't seem that you're following any allegories or whatnot.

I like the Free City culture so far. You've made it very vivid, and viable, with those wishing papers. Nice.
one-touch lamp chapter 19 . 6/26/2012
WHAT? I am so confused. Did not expect Anton to be the messenger. But also did not except Caiaph NOT to die. What the frack?
one-touch lamp chapter 18 . 6/26/2012
What a way to end a chapter! I cursed, you know. Argh.

Ok, calmmmm. Got it.

It's nice that you skipped a year's time. You left untied threads everywhere, but it makes for an interesting read now, and skips the tedious training stage.

Thanks for clarifying Matthias' and Sam's memories. I wonder what Kelsey's could be, though it's not essential to know right now. Her character is so entertaining. I like the dynamics you've put in place between the Prophesized.

As for her Element manifestation...I see how it'd be beneficial to fight without the adrenaline and pain clouding your mind, but I cannot see how fighting without any indication that you've been hit can help. Especially when you're running around and then, oops, you're dying. When did that happen? Eh, not that I'm any expert.
one-touch lamp chapter 17 . 6/26/2012
creepier and creepier...
one-touch lamp chapter 16 . 6/26/2012
I could've gone without the mental image of Profas as a glob of yellow fabric. Ugh...
one-touch lamp chapter 13 . 6/25/2012
Frickety frack, I take it back. I don't need to know his name. Sigh. More and more complicated. I can't complain, though, cuz that was one of the creepiest chapters ever. I must have a weakness for eyeless people. UUUURRRRGH.
one-touch lamp chapter 12 . 6/25/2012
So she IS a bear? Awesome. An army of bears. People all around just seem to want her to be their leader. I don't blame them.
one-touch lamp chapter 11 . 6/25/2012
Egawds! I forgot something else for the previous chapter!

Kain? Abel? Is that supposed to foreshadow something disastrous to come? Hmmmmm?

Anyways, thank you for taking Kelsey's pov for this chapter. Short and sweet induction.
one-touch lamp chapter 10 . 6/25/2012
Still love Kelsey. The ponytail suits her.

Btw, what happened to crossing the Myrelands? Didn't seem like they walked for a day before arriving at Haven. Maybe I missed that part?

Anywho, Haven's entrance rocked.
one-touch lamp chapter 9 . 6/25/2012
Wait, so the Amram aren't human-oid? Gah.

All your characters are very solid right now. It's is relieving.

Btw, forgot to mention last review (I'm always doing that, it seems) that I like the parallel between the Caiaph's and Anton's references to the vices.

You use a lot of religious terms in this story, from the Zealots to the motto of the rebellion. At least they're spread out. Perhaps they don't mean anything...
one-touch lamp chapter 8 . 6/25/2012
Excellent twist! At first, I was starting to begrudge your description of the Advocate, humanizing him with his suffering of nightmares. Then came Caiaph (who reminded me of Gin), and I was certain the Advocate would die. And I pitied him! Simply because of his illness and the fact that I'd probably never know his name.

But no! You decided to let him live. Ah, so suspenseful. Nicely done, leaving us with no hint of what he looks like behind the mask. His only identifier will be his illness.
one-touch lamp chapter 7 . 6/25/2012
Well, well, well. Now the ball's really rolling. I like it. Very much! I meant to say last chapter, that I enjoy how wretched you've painted Ecclesia to be. Much more descriptive this time around, enough so that I am glad they are leaving.

I wonder, though, will Ruth's absence not be noted, if she is in command of so many? Is this the end of her spying? I cannot see that they'd waste such a resource.

Also, I see that they swear on "the Commands." Is this similar to the "Commandments" mentioned before? Same thing?

It'll be interesting to see if they are pursued, or if Anton finally cracks from Ruth's comments.
one-touch lamp chapter 6 . 6/25/2012
Profas didn't strike me as particularly sneaky last chapter, but I defer to Ruth's judgment. Plus, if I have to listen to him ho-ho-ing or repeating his little phrases, I'm gonna skewer him like a boar.
41 | Page 1 .. Last Next »