Reviews for Korean War Haikus
SirScott chapter 1 . 8/6/2010
Pretty good history lesson, if you can call it history since the conflict continues today. I don't know if conflicts ever get resolved, look at the Arabs and Jews they have been fighting for thousands of years and still they fight.

Keep up the good work.

SirScott
Anomander chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
The one that impresses is the last one, which hangs as an ominous promise that someday all the suffering, in all its details, will surface in a violent burst. A touching collection into which I see you've put more than words.
nickyO chapter 1 . 6/26/2010
The care you took in writing these shows, lots of depth and compassion that helps to open the readers' eyes.
J.A. Fletcher chapter 1 . 6/26/2010
These were pretty good, Punslinger. My favorite was the napalm haiku.
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
How long were you there for? You seem to write a lot about it and I guess it must be a memorable experience.. I find the ring-finger one so sweet, it reminds me of WW1 stories between British lovers.

And not that this is terribly relevant, but it's interesting to see how Communism changes roles; not just between in China and the west. I've been learning about the Spanish Civil War and European / British ideologies in the 30s, Communism seemed the best way to go. I guess those Chinese soldiers must have thought that too; but I watched a BBC documentary on the DPRK the other day, and I really wonder what our men died for.
sophiesix chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
Ooh that first one is really ominous. I love the troopship one, it has a great rhythm with all the jarring consonants and really evoked the characters of the troops for me. “Swift and slow they flow” love how that onomatopoeically gives the feeling of the flow! And the honeymoon one is heartbreaking but lovely. I really like the concepts in the R&R one – total opposite to what is was supposed to be for. And a beautiful finish with the idea of the ghost writer.

What an awesome collection! Powerful and evocative. The AN was a great addition too. Have you ever gone back?
Eternal Skies chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
Korea-I find this hauntingly beautiful

Partition-I liked the idea of the two parts of Korea being half-hearts

1950-the last line was very evocative of having to choose sides (I think this is what it means)

Troopship-great line: "at the shot-down sun's

burial at sea." I can feel the anxiety of the troops, waiting and waiting for an order.

Inchon Landing-an extremely well-drawn picture of the place (is it the same beach talked about at the troopship haiku?)

Honeymoon Patrol-I loved this haiku, enpowering and softly-spoken

Chosin Reservoir-this whole haiku flowed perfectly, and I liked the similar, tied-together images of winter.

The People's Spirit-that's pretty hopeful and optimistic, a well-written metaphor by the way

Casualties-the perfect end to this, ghost writer
William G. Thorne chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
I thoroughly enjoyed these haikus, 1953 stood out for me the most. This collection shows great dedication and knowlege for the History of the Korean War. wonderfully done! I would enjoy reading more like this from you.

-william
East-0f-Eden chapter 1 . 6/24/2010
These were all excellent. I suspect that they are VERY personal. I'm guessing that you were probably in Korea. (you don't have to answer that) They...idk were loving and yet painful at the same time. I really enjoyed them.