Reviews for The Sane Writer's Guide To: Character Description
Rinail chapter 1 . 7/19/2013
Thank you so much for this. It's extremeellyyy helpful. If you would do more of these, that would be just great. And no sarcasm there, I swear. :D
Shadows of Dakaron chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
Very helpful and useful, thank you for this. I always struggle with my character descriptions...how much do I throw at the reader? When does it become monotonous and just a reciting of the physical attributes of a person that the reader will just glaze over as unimportant? I've started trying to find ways to weave the character descriptions into the narrative as the story goes along and as the detail becomes important to the story..and just limit the initial description to whatever makes the character stand out in the reader's mind.
busy pushing up daisies chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
I really like this, so thanks for sharing. But. Some writers don't like detailed character description, because the *readers* don't like it. They don't need to know that the character puts a lot of effort into her hair. What would be the purpose? Unless, highlighting her vain nature is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to simply have 'blonde hair'? The majority of readers don't take the time to decipher what the author is trying to 'tell' them through character description unless outright stated. Wouldn't it be better to 'show' them through actions?
"This segment reveals to us not only the facts that Cimorene has black hair, but that she wears it in braids, which is seen as unprincesslike, and that she is tall, which her parents see as detrimental towards her marriage prospects. This segment tells us more about Cimorene than the previous one told us about Rosalie, and therefore is more effective." While being 'unprincesslike' might show off her 'rebellious' nature, or that she has no care for looks ( a moot point, since what's the point of putting effort into a braid if she doesn't care for looks?) we know that she is 'unprincesslike, and that her parents see her height as detrimental towards marriage prospects. But, what does that tell us about her *as a person*? I haven't read this story, but I feel that should put my argument in higher regard.
"Despite the fact that the author has just given us a mini-paragraph extolling her character's beauty, we still know very little about Rosalie from this piece. Other than the facts that she is extremely beautiful and has golden hair, we don't know anything about Rosalie as a person. This description is ineffective." I feel like you're putting too much bias into your analyses. While I haven't read Dealing with Dragons, I have the unfortunate honour of reading the Twilight Series (I was young). But, anyways, did you forget that her description is told in First Person P.O.V? Bella is a shallow teenager dealing with hormones and jealousy, she would notice the unimportant details, the superficial ones. She wouldn't be looking for Rosalie's *personality*, or her as a person. She would notice 'oh my gawd she's hot, I feel like crap right now', wouldn't she? Also, if an unbiased person read that description (who hasn't read Twilight) would guess Rosalie put a lot more effort into her appearance, keeping her stomach flat, taming her hair so it would fall into gentle waves down her back or something. We can assume that Rosalie is vain, and realises her beauty, and doesn't hide it.
Anyways, thanks for sharing! I found half of this work helpful.
mingmei08 chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Very helpful indeed! :) Adding this to my favorites. :)
yukiteddy chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
arigatou ( thank you ) i seriously needed this guide XD
iya.bazar chapter 1 . 11/13/2012
Thank you so much you are going to help in improving my characters so much but one question, how would you introduce all of these glorious things? Would you just vomit it on the reader or would you put in small little quirks here and there. Once again, thank you for such great information. I love it so much!
CJ1985 chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Thank you for writing this. I think It will be a big help for me. I will try to keep it in mind when writing future stories.
Wakes to Dream All Night chapter 1 . 6/16/2012
Thank you very much for guide. It's quite helpful.
nnnnnnnn chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
This was great. i hope i will be better at describing characters from now on, because this really helps!
nakublue chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
Awesome! Thanks for this!
nigam333 chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
this is just what I thought when I clicked on the link to understand how to create a character. thanks pal
Siti Rohmah chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Thank you so much for writing this useful note! I like it!

Hope I can write better than before..
Rocky Swordleaf chapter 1 . 7/3/2011
thanks for that! i've always been a little unsure about character descriptions. this was short, but helpful!
Serendipital chapter 1 . 4/13/2011
This...wow, helped me a lot. I don't want to requst anything for fear that you have already done it, but could you do a guide to making 3-D characters?
CupcakeJaws chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
Thank you for this! I learned some useful things!