Reviews for Three AM
thewhimsicalbard chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
Gotta love writer's block. Though personally, I feel like you should have titled it "De(e)fective Blues."

I like that it includes pretty much ever single aspect of your writing that I love: a little bit of intellectual poetry, some hip-hop rhythm (I swear I heard a blues scale in here), and, of course, sex.

Yum,

or something.

The bug motif in the first stanza creeped me out, but in my defense I did just pick up something at work today and accidentally pop open a spider's egg - the little buggers came out and crawled all over me. *shiver*

I do love the first line, though. Writing is a drug, and you, miss, are an addict. The doctor said he's not writing you any more prescriptions for that shit.

This is really good, and it obviously helped you bust up your writer's block. Still, I think the title of "Dee's Best Poem" still goes to "Pepper." I can't get over how well that poem works. The things that you do with your poems are all the things that I seem unable to do: you tell captivating stories, and your words are so fluid - it's hard to trap them down and capture only one meaning.

My jealousy is seeping. :)

Great read - I was going to review Lacedaemon, but I know you want reviews on this one, too. I'll try to get to that one tomorrow.

-thewhimsicalbard
dragonflydreamer chapter 1 . 8/11/2010
This is an interesting piece coming from you. It reads like a mind dump, but either a very well-thought-out one, or on the opposite end of the spectrum, one that's extremely raw and right off the top of your head. Either way, it was fun to read.

I like the way the topics morph into each other. At first I thought it would just be about writer's block, but then you started to get into the sex and the worries about your future (I think?). Like I said before, an interesting view into your mind, and very relatable for teen readers.

Some of my favorite lines:

"And there are maggots in my spinal cord swimming in dirt and the right side of my brain." (Nice image.)

"a fun game called "Let's Fuck With Dee." (Interesting change of tone. Really punches the point out.)

" brand new fu-/firetruck." (Nice play on words.)

"the trashmanwoman, sandmanwoman" (Haha, these just amused me.)

"and a baby by my bed." (Literally or figuratively? Made me stop and think.)

I won't go on too much about the imagery, flow, and whatnot in general. I'm sure you know that you're incredibly talented :)
seredemia chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
I love your use of imagery! I cant say I wasnt confused at some point. For some reason, I loed the maggots part. I hate maggots, snd yet I still loved that... I don't know why, but I love how your imagery has that rough air to it. Overall, I liked the creativity here. If I tried to write something like this, I'd never be able to think up of something this imaginative.

Roadhouse
MeAsIAm chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Your imagery is very powerful. It's not something particularly pleasant, but one can still appreciate it due to its honesty. I can't say I understood it completely, but maybe if I read this again after some time, I'll relate with it in a different way.

Liked it. :)
HiddenFromYou chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
I love the way you manage to put across detailed images with your writing. You have a way of phrasing things that make the images powerful, and you know there's a deeper meaning.

I also liked this because I could relate to a lot of what you were saying.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is "recycled teenage rubbish" either. All of your poems seem really unique to me. :)
Jackaroo chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
I'm going through the new stuff - can't find any stories that have anything but the same recycled teenage rubbish - but the prose is pretty good.

As is this. It's not particularly pleasant, but I do love the word usage.

Well done.