Reviews for By the Seaside, You and I
Imaginewhirledpeas chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
Is it bad that I read through the story waiting for them to have sex? Probably. I enjoyedit greatly anyways. It's likenothing i've seen before. A
Ioga chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
What, no reviews on this one yet? Do I get to scream "First!" now? ;)

SPOILER WARNING below.

I started reading this while pissed off and looking for escapism last night. It's unfortunately that the first few pages were so "normal" that I decided to look elsewhere, and only learned the next morning that it did turn out to be nice and morbid in the end. And that Cameron was a guy, which probably would have been enough to keep reading last night. But alas, the summaries, they are not shown on my reader!

I actually felt that the ending isn't so bad, as with the hesitation and falling back of the struggling it appears more like an assisted suicide than homicide - Another One had a sadder ending, for instance, with more unfinished emotions, one-sided decisions and power imbalance. It reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Living with Alzheimer's, where his friend also describes plans to "help out" Terry once the disease has taken his mind. Pratchett does decide towards the end that he has his family's feelings to consider as well, but before that the thought seems to calm him. (He didn't have any beliefs of afterlife to confuse his judgement either.)

While in real life I do consider suicide a wasteful solution to any problem, and blindness isn't anywhere near comparable to serious brain deterioration, in stories there's situations like this where it doesn't feel like such a taboo. There's a mother lost to her disconnect with the real world, and otherwise the person depicted as potentially missing him most is the one who makes the final decision with the victim. Ian's not being quite sane right there, of course, but the ending still feels quite poetic.

Nice piece, and clearly thought-arousing while at it.

Minor nitpicks: I think I've seen it happen before, but you write confusing words with a capital letter, like Aunt and Doctors. I even feel kind of uncomfortable seeing Mother and Father with capital letters, even though I've understood Mom and Dad are supposed to be like that. Of course English is a lot more liberal in the use of capital letters than my native language, too. (Btw, since I'll forget these by the time I finish reading and come review - I'm currently reading Distortioned, and its first chapter has some missing spaces: 'bewalking', and 'inbetween' (although in-between does sound reasonable). And moresely maybe should be morosely.) Sorry about the cross-locating, but I've been conditioned to feel perversely dutiful about typo reports.)

Thanks for this! I think we've also by now celebrated enough fascinating stories so far to click on the 'add author to favourites' checkbox, although I've yet to name a clear favourite story as such. I'm sure I'll find some particularly recommendable gem by the time I'm through the whole list though. :)