Reviews for Alexander
deefective chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
I liked this prose. It's very simple and to the point but there's a dimension behind it I found you hinted at. I liked the allusion there to Alexander the Great and especially the fact that you said it said something about what the mother wished for the son, because it really does. And that could be interpreted in so many different ways, which puts the imagination of the reader to work and lets us choose what we interpret it as. I think you should've written this in longer lines than you did, though. It reads much more like prose to me than traditionally broken up poetry sentences. But it's not a big thing. Also, I liked the fact that this was short. It didn't need to be longer and you didn't stretch it out over too many words, which works wonderfully here. Nicely done.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
I really liked the beginning of the poem, plus the parallels that this Alexander seems to share with his famous Macedonian counterpart. But it did feel a tad incomplete at the end which I suppose was intentional on your part but... I just would have liked to read more, I guess? It sure sounded interesting.
HiddenFromYou chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
The ending to this poem seemed a little sudden, and I had to reread it a few times to get the full understanding. I'd recommend that you have a bit more about the character, as I didn't really get to know him at all, and that's one reason the ending seems so sudden.

I still liked the poem though, even if the short and snappy technique didn't give it power. I thought it was rather sweet.

-From the Review Marathon (link in my profile)