Reviews for Strangers
Laoch chapter 1 . 7/25/2011
Yet another amazing piece! I don't usually like poetry in this format, but you did an exceptional job. This really does make you think and read between the lines because of how it's laid out and also because of how you used the breaks so cleverly. So amazing. I adore this poem because it's so easy to understand. I love it.
Nesasio chapter 1 . 9/11/2010
This is a cool idea. It's like you've got 3 poems all in one! It's funny to me because just glancing at it I thought it'd be pretty simple but it's really quite an intricate setup. Each column works alone or with the other and creates three different kinds of moods: one kind of negative, one positive, and the combination gives a sense of discovery or realization that this is the way things are. It's neat. :) I wish I could think of a stronger word than that to describe it but that's the best I can do right now. XD

I wish I was better at analyzing poetry 'cause I feel like I should say more but I don't know what else to say. I mean, it's effective at getting the message(s) across and it's an interesting style for interpreting the prompt. That's about all I know, haha.

Overall, though, just know that I enjoyed it. :) Good luck on WCC!
deefective chapter 1 . 9/10/2010
Clever girl! Haha, I really liked the formatting of this, a whole lot. It was different and could be interpreted in many different ways, which I loved. It gives it this really personal feel to the reader because it forces us to draw our own conclusions and make it ours. I also liked the image of the cloth mask. It's very literal and close to the prompt but the way you phrased it was quite lovely to read. Nicely done.
notveryalice chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
This is wonderful. I love it so very much...

It's clever and it's emotionally mature and it's lovely.

Plus, you managed to get the punctuation right. HOW? How did you do this?

I favourited.
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
Interesting formatting here, Sheriff. I quiet enjoyed the effect it had on my reading. I noticed, too, that it could be read multiple ways; horizontal or vertical. I think that's hella neat, and gotta praise you for that!

I adore the first horizontal line (horizontal kinda). I think the comma added a wonderful effect to the piece and I think it was a perfect way to begin. I think your take on the prompt was fairly straight forward, but you managed to spice it up a bit with the formatting.

Overall, pretty good piece here. Best of luck in this month's WCC. :D
lymli chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
there's so many ways to red this, I like it.
lookingwest chapter 1 . 9/7/2010
First off without even reading it, visually, this is great. It's such a simple trick with contrasting the center and left justify, BUT it's a great trick, XD. I think it's creative that you're basically working with three poems here, or even three stanzas, depending on how you want to look at it. I love how the two stanzas are visually set apart as "strangers" in a more literal sense too, just sort of parallel to one another but perhaps never fully meeting one another or intercepting.

The way you worked with the prompt with the theme of "strangers" wasn't too original, admittedly, I think another submission had the same poem titled "strangers" too, or it was a huge theme in it, but I definitley like how you worked with this in a more staccato sense, I could really feel the theme beyond the words with the visual part of it too (I'm going to gush about that for awhile, excuse me, XD).

I liked the way the speaker says "we're *well* nothing more than..." the "well" in that line was wonderfully placed and it really stuck out to me as a way that I would speak, or someone I know, and that just really struck me as perfectly placed for just one simple word, haha. I liked the visual of the "prison" and then also having lines that can work like prison bars (still gushing about the visual), and then the literal integration of the "brown cloth mask", which made me think of death row, or at least a good hanging, which was a bit morbid when juxtaposed with the strong words like 'explore' and 'embrace' that I felt were more fully positive than the left justified poem.

Overall, very cool, nifty way of putting the subject and making it your own, and I wish you the best of luck in this month's WCC Sheriff! I'm so glad you submitted too! Yay! :D