Reviews for The English Roses: The Hamilton Saga
Jane chapter 1 . 4/20/2014
Just spend the entire day reading this and it did not disappoint! What brave women you are read about. Makes me think of my own ancestors. Overall your writing is very descriptive which i appreciated greatly. Keep up the good work, I cannot wait to read more.
CJC chapter 74 . 8/18/2013
You mention that you don't know as much about America, so I wanted to share a few things that might help with your accuracy in picturing the areas people settled in. First, did you have an idea about where Joanna & Phillip first landed and worked? Most settlers landed in ports along the north east coast, with New York being the most common. The closest places people might have landed to North Carolina would probably have been either near Richmond, Virginia, or Charleston (then Charles Town) South Carolina. By the time period you mention, the eastern part of North Carolina would have started spreading out with plantations everywhere. Western North Carolina is part of the Appalachian Mountain Range. The prairies are considered to be on the western side of the Appalachians in the central part of the United States, where it is flat and open with trees mostly growing around rivers or streams. Then the northern, central states and the Appalachians would have been the more forested areas if you ever care to mention woodlands in this story.
So, if you want to keep them in North Carolina, I am going to guess they are central/western North Carolina close enough to see the foothills of the mountains, but further west than the plantations? However, that would mean that they wouldn't have been able to head west from the place they landed, since there are no ports on the coast of North Carolina (too many islands and sand bars in the way). Another option would be for them to head over the mountains to find their new home, perhaps in Tennessee or Kentucky, or definitely in Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, or Kansas, if you want some good prairie lands. I hope this helps a little bit.
wickedmetalviking1990 chapter 74 . 6/12/2013
The American Revolution ended in the early 1780s, which means by 1796, they were the United States of America, not the American Colonies
CRYSTAL2 chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
looks great so far will definitely keep reading!
WunderWings890 chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
I love the story so far! Can't wait to read more!
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 62 . 2/29/2012
"Which of course you would say." Richard said. ~~It's "Which of course you would say," Richard said.

I didn't reply to that. My eyes were on Mr. Cromwell's own cold ones. "My lord Cromwell..." So which is it? Mr. or my lord? It can't be both.
Wendy Thompson135th chapter 60 . 1/11/2012
"Are you all right my lady Marchioness? You look pale." The man said, concerned.

"I'm fine." I said softly.

"Are you all right my lady Marchioness? You look pale(COMMA)," (NO CAPITAL LETTER HERE)the man said, concerned.

"I'm fine(COMMA)," I said softly. ~~and all through the chapter.
Anon chapter 30 . 12/18/2011
I really like the concept of following the Hamilton women through different eras, but Ellie's story is filled with details completely anachronistic for medieval England-tea, photographs, scones, the clothing, the way members of the family and staff are addressed. This isn't a bad thing, though. Had you not given years and stated that this piece is set in medieval times, I would have congratulated you on a great job describing Victorian England!
Sapphire Jade chapter 9 . 10/22/2011
Frist, I just wanted to say that so far I love your book. I cant stop reading it! I have always been interested in this time period and have read about it. I love seeing from a different view!

Second, I was reading through and got to the letter Matthew wrote to Jane. In parts of the letter you refer to Mary where I think you meant to say Jane. Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks!
Tricorvus chapter 20 . 10/21/2011
Coooool!

Oh, I LIKE the way Jane handled that slimy git!
Tricorvus chapter 18 . 10/20/2011
Fear not, you're doing the era justice except that one tiny little thing of using the word Okay. It was unknown, even in America, until after 1900. Fantastic job overall, though, keep up the good work.
Tricorvus chapter 14 . 10/20/2011
Beautiful. I wonder why ladies-in-waiting felt that their lives were threatened? There's something there, that eludes me. Of course, I have some Native American blood, and we have a mind-set that doesn't "get" some things that 100% caucasians do get.
Tricorvus chapter 13 . 10/20/2011
Clearly you and I have read the same 10 or so books, and both of us have taken flights of fancy. You, however, have put your flight down in a pleasant enjoyable fiction, and I fumble with historical fiction, at best. My forte with words will always be of the science fiction genre, although I love to read this genre of historical fiction. My late mother was a descendant of the ill fated Stafford Earl. I think some of his character attributes came down to her. I like the character of Jane Hamilton. You have a grasp of this era that is truly admirable. And you even got the marriage vows right. :D

Do not, I beg you, fall into the Catherine Carey trap that I have read from other authors. They forget that Mary Boleyn Carey was Henry's lover and that her daughter Catherine might very well have been Henry's daughter as well. Then they put Catherine at Edward's court, and ... Ewwww! He's her half-brother, in all likelihood. Also there was a GREAT error in "The Other Boleyn Girl" - Mary was older than Anne, and the author, bless her heart, got it wrong. You didn't assign older or younger to either sister, in your descriptions, thereby missing that error entirely. Good on you. Keep up the good work.
Tricorvus chapter 8 . 10/20/2011
Very good. How horrible those times must have been, the common people thinking those at court had it so cush. But the reality of wondering from day to day, if today's behavior will bring death tomorrow. At least the lower classes could marry for love and not give a damn...
Tricorvus chapter 7 . 10/20/2011
Yay! You mentioned my mother's ancestors the Staffords! :D Very satisfying chapter, full of lovely details. It may be the story we all know, but you've put a prospective on it, of a young, naive girl, and one that doesn't end up in the king's bed. So it's very likeable. :D
62 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »