Reviews for Tales of El: Rise of a Monster
xoxlizzie chapter 1 . 9/28/2010
The beginning was adorable! The end...well, I pretty much cried. It was short but your characters had depth which I liked. I really, really liked it :) Great job!
Elkica chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
The beginning was so sweet and so unexpected, but I guess that's why the loss was so great.

You focused a lot on Elevated Master's grief - which was very well written - but you hadn't really wrote what happened to his Bonded and his child, you just let us assume, and I think you lost some of the sympathy that Master would gain if you would elaborate the incident. But that's just me.

And the story with "come along then, boy," actually ends sort of creep. Which I like.
Winifred.Cleaves chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
I very nearly cried. It's too sad a story, but the beginning was sweet. Have you considered writing something more about what happened? What you did write about that was a little vague, and I was sort of under the impression that it would end up as Lythel becoming some dark overlord, not forced into caring for a child he obviously tries not to hate.. it was brilliant though, if a little broken.
Amethystars chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
Man... I had no idea that the High Master had such a tragic backstory. I mean, obviously it's no excuse, but it explains a heck of a lot.

You said this isn't your normal style, but I must admit it didn't feel very different to me. Maybe because the whole tragic/bitter/evil POV thing is so different, and it felt like your style changed only enough to match that? Whatever happened, it worked out.

I thought the story worked very well, giving the High Master further depth of personality without excusing his depredations. His 'fall' seemed logical/plausible, and you showed how it could have happened to someone else but also how he could have avoided it. A story like this could easily have been preachy, or way too depressing, but not with you writing it :)

Great job!
pille-ip chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
I always suspected he had a personal grudge. But still it's hard to see the reasons and hurt behind the strength of his amok running angry/evil side.
Lucky Fox chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
It is quite tragic :(

He seemed quite one-dimensional in IB, but all antagonists have their depth, I suppose. Aww. - LF