Reviews for Regrets
Guest chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
This made me cry. It reminds me of a story told by Sean Forrest. I wish i could go back in time so i could talk to a boy who sat alone at lunch and was always made fun of...I hope he is happy wherever he is now.
TwistedTriangle chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
This is amazing. I think everyone has things that they regret. I certainly do. I hope "Sheila" will be able to read this and forgive you. Great job on this!
Ruby Kart chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I'm actually at a blank of what to say to this.

I feel I must choose my words carefully, not because of any disagreement - because I'd hate to adulterate this letter. The way you portray Sheila as brave, and courageous, and full of inner beauty - it's more than poetic. It's... I don't have a word for it. It's almost majestical. She's not a phantom, she's real and tangible - althoug for you she's only a figment of a very vivid memory. A memory that haunts you day to day.

I can say I understand your emotions for this, in many ways. I understand what it's like to be at the bottom of the food chain, and I also understand what it's like to see someone below you. But, because you view them as inferior, it's almost like it didn't matter at the time. You could sit back - after all, you weren't doing tha harm, were you? But, that doesn't suffice for you anymore. Now, the concept of - what gave me the right to think I was so much better that I could step in and do something - plays on the wiser mind.

While it may not offer a lot of comfort, you need to forgive yourself. Understand again that you were a child - naive and inexperienced in the ways of the world. You didn't understand it could be a cold and cruel place for people. You had to learn that as you lived life. Some learn it a younger age (like Sheila) and other learn it in a way that's tougher.

I can say as being a 'Sheila' in my own way, I don't remember half the remarks that were made to me when I was younger. And, because I wanted to, I checked on facebook at the people who used to put me down and tell me I was fat and ugly. I'm a healthy 130 lbs, with amazing friends, and self-esteem that says 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I refuse to believe I'm ugly.' The others who taunted me - let's say their lives don't look nearly as full of joy as mine is.

Regrets are regrets - but more than feeling guilty, you must learn to live past them and learn from them as well. You can't change the past Tathwem, you can only live the present. 'Never a Regret, Always a lesson' - remember that? It's true here too. Use your experiences to fuel you in your sensitivity towards others in the future. You're doing a marvelous job at drawing attention to it in your stories and essays. Just stop making me cry while doing so!

- Ruby Kart