Reviews for Lack of Respect to the Teachers from Students
nice
student chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
nice
Dexterity too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 1/22/2011
First of all, thank you very much for reviewing my story. I haven't gotten to returning the review until now. Sorry about that.

I find your essay to be very interesting and it does outline a number of points that I agree with. To disrespect a teacher simply because he/she is strict is an act of immaturity, obviously stemming from influences like the media that you've mentioned. In fact, I find the teachers in my past experiences who I continue to respect today are those strict ones who did not hesitate to criticize your homework, and to give you challenging assignments that actually made you think about what you were handing in.

But as you've said in your essay, teachers are certainly not saints, and there are a number who I think do not deserve any respect because they are not performing their jobs. For instance, I had a teacher who got us to self-study every class period while she went for coffee. Another teacher used the social studies class as an outlet for his political views. Those are the teachers that I cannot respect for obvious reasons, but it makes me wonder what led them to become this way. Perhaps it is the disrespect that they've received in the past that has caused them to lose their sense of duty towards teaching. I really hope that the negative media portrayal can stop, because it is having a bad impact on our education system, both in the mentality of the students and the teachers.

That said, I wish you the best in your teaching endeavours. Hope you'll always remember that education is important for building society, and that the rest of us are entrusting the next generation, and thus our future, in your hands. Take care.

Dex
Brendan Aurabolt chapter 1 . 11/9/2010
First off, I loved your essay. Like you, I also work in the field of Education. Also like you, I am under 30 _

My opinion on the matter may be a bit biased because although I went to school for half my life (I'm 26), I've been working with kids for ten years now, the last seven professionally. It's sad most of America blames failing students on the teachers when in actuality, they usually aren't the only factor. Unlike other modernized countries, Education as a whole hasn't been a priority in America since the 1960s. Politicians can visit all the schools they want but until they start throwing some resources our way, it's empty talk in my book.

I work as an assistant teacher (Paraprofessional is the name of my title) in Boston. With one exception (which I will get to momentarily), my experience with the teachers I've worked with has been outstanding. To be fair, five of the seven teachers I've worked with at my school are under 30. Also, my school is an Inclusion School. That means the school is a smaller population and about half of each classroom are learning-disabled students. That's the technical definition but as (I assume and hope) you're aware, everyone learns differently.

Getting back to to the main topic, the disrespect in one parts the teacher and the rest the home environment. The last 10 to 15 years have seen an increase in children born to teenage mothers, children born out of wedlock or worse, children who grow up without their father or at least, a father figure. I didn't mention this before but I am also African American. As an A.A. Educator at an Urban School, I've seen a bit of all three. Because I am an A.A. Male, some of the kids at my school do look up to me.

Now I'm going to go back to the one unpleasant I worked with. I won't use their name, race or gender but this person was between the ages of 35 and 40 (by my best guess). My first year with this person was their last year working as a 3rd grade teacher. Given it was my first year in the field, I said "Ok, I'm the new guy here. Just shut up and follow along." Towards the end of that year, the teacher took the last month of the year off because (as they told both me and the principal) they were having shoulder surgery done. The last week of school, I saw the teacher outside the school in their car with no evidence of said surgery. I felt like a jackass considering the day before, I vehemently defended them.

The next year, the teacher returned in mid October. I made no mention of my seeing them but I was interested in seeing how they would perform in their new role as a Kindergarten teacher. It was here I saw for myself all the "rumors" I'd heard about this person were true. What's worse, I'd unknowingly become their latest "victim". To put it bluntly, this person has no business in their profession. They're what one person told me is "a Teacher working towards retirement and cares for little else". If the class does not have their undivided attention at all times, they will not teach. More times than I can count, the teacher knowingly put me in compromising situations with some of the students we worked with. Essentially, I would have to babysit whoever they didn't want to work with themselves. The teacher lacked any serious concept of Classroom Discipline. I realized this even in my first year when they noticed I held back in certain instances. If confronted with an outspoken student, their first and preferred "answer" was contact the office to have the student removed from the classroom. I found out years later a student is only to be removed if all other methods have been tried and exhausted AND/OR if the student has demonstrated themselves to be a threat to themselves or others.

I have the patience of a saint. I can honestly say that. The teacher exhausted it by mid October. I requested and was granted a six month "vaction". I was moved to another classroom for half of the year before I finished the year with the problem teacher. The next year I worked with someone else for almost the whole school year. The year after that was my toughest with that teacher but also their last. About halfway through that "memorable" schoolyear, the teacher found out what most of the staff thought of them. To my surprise, the teacher poured their heart and soul out to me. The teacher admitted they knew they had mistreated me over years. Knowing I was a relgious person, they even offered to pray with me every morning before the kids came.

Things took a strange turn in the spring of that year when the teacher told me their youngest brother had terminal cancer and had less than 18 months to live. I immediately thought of what I'd seen three years before but gave my condolences. It was obvious the teacher was on the verge of suffering an emotional breakdown. We had a few students who, if not approached a certain way would prettymuch take over the classroom. One day, I asked the teacher to seriously consider finding work at another school. I meant it as a joke but if they were serious about being a teacher, a change in environemnt would work wonders. I was actually joking but the teacher 1-Uped me and started looking for schools with openings for the next year. The teacher left for good in early May of that year. The teacher was hired at a school in East Boston.
Ricky C chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
I don't think corporal punishment is the answer. I think the only time corporal punishment works in a positive way is when there is a bond. When a parent spanks a kid, they feel bad because they know they've disappointed their parents; when a teacher spanks a kid who's disrespectful, they either become more disrespectful out of spite or live in fear, and neither of those outcomes are constructive.

I agree with this essay. I no longer go to school but I remember a few teachers I should have been more respectful to.

I agree about the media playing a large role in children being disrespectful. They watch shows on MTV about bratty teenagers or immature adults that basically send out a message of "Nobody can tell me what to do" and I think that really ties in with parenting. If a child is neglected by guardians, they draw more influence from other forms. Instead of being taught right and wrong and how their decisions affect their life and the lives around them, they're watching cartoons.

I think the media is a large cause, but I don't think the blame should be cast upon them. The largest influence in a child's life is their parents or guardians, and if there isn't much influence to draw upon, they make do with whatever else is around them.

Sorry if I said the words "I think" at an annoying level hehe, I try to emphasize that it's just my opinions of the subject and I don't completely know for sure if my ideas hold up or not.

I'm glad you're training to become a teacher in spite of the challenges. Good luck with your career!
Lord Darling chapter 1 . 11/3/2010
I expect it's more to do with the abolition of corporal punishment & all these fatherless homes. Good essay.