Reviews for Year of the Cat
wyndslash chapter 8 . 8/8/2012
I really enjoyed this and hope you'll continue it soon. The story and writing style reminds me of those traditional Chinese novels I like. Rather slow paced but not monotonous :-)
Let's See If It Moves chapter 8 . 1/22/2012
I cannot BELIEVE it stops there. I loved this story, it sounded like a well written novel, the attention to detail was amazing. My only complaint is that you discontinued it. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Baaaaa,

Ewe.
moon01234 chapter 8 . 10/16/2011
Looks good. Can't wait to read more of it soon.
wildeep chapter 8 . 6/13/2011
I, too, have no idea where this is going plot-wise, but I think it'll be interesting to see how Seandri develops. Of course, watching Kai & Seandri's relationship evolve should be good, too, but Seandri's the one I'm most curious about right now. It's good that you provide descriptions of him through others' eyes and don't keep the narrative restricted to just inside his head, I think, since otherwise, he would never seem more than a simple rube stumbling through his new reality.
Kneecap chapter 8 . 4/21/2011
ok, i've finished now. and yus, i haven't really got much more to add than i've said before. i really liked the descriptive parts of your writing, and it was enough to keep me hooked for a while, but there are also a few problems here.

firstly: the plot. i'm not sure where exactly it's going. it feels like the last major thing to happen occurred 5 chapters ago. eh, it's tricky. i'm not sure it was such a great idea to set up two characters to get married, and then send away one of that duo to war barely before they've said 2 words to one another. i think the problem is that the plot felt a little threadbare. nothing's different from the first chapter, really :/ and i still can't understand why so little coverage was given to adamie's murder o_o bleh, i don't want to be so negative, because you really do have a beautiful writing style, but the chapters are major fillers D: more abstract, protracted descriptions of very minor events than anything substantial.

there were also some moments when things just didn't really make sense. like there having been no rains for months. A month, i could understand would be nasty, but the lack of any new water whatsoever for several months would result in general death. of everyone. unless there is a huge underground lake hitherto unmentioned?

Eh, eh. I feel, from the way you've written, that this doesn't really showcase your talents as well as, perhaps, other bits of your writing might do. it's a shame, really : but maybe i'll read something else of yours soon and have my thoughts validated ) which isn't to say this is bad, but merely that it could be a lot better.
Kneecap chapter 7 . 4/18/2011
I've not finished this yet (I haven't even finished reading this chapter yet) but I just thought I'd take a moment to say (as I'll conclude with slightly more verbosity in the review I'll give for chapter 8) that I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would! It did have the usual trappings of the sword and sorcery genre, i.e. elemental magic, byronic heroes, etc. etc. but whilst I wouldn't give this full marks for originality, I would rate it pretty highly for readability, and, if nothing else, the stunning descriptions. Especially in the first chapter! That's what drew me in most, I think. It reminded me a little of the Edge Chronicles, but obviously, different in many ways.

Anyway, what I wanted to alert you to were two issues I've noticed [and can bring to mind]. One being the credibility of Margary. I'm not entirely sure how old she is (that might just be my lazy reading), but I was guessing somewhere around the 8-9 region? Even if she's younger, or up to, I'd say, 2-3 years older than that, her behaviour is a little difficult to believe. Now, I'm well aware that there are children out there who mature a lot quicker than others, and there're some who're quite restrained personality-wise, but...really? She acts far too much like an adult : Idk, maybe it's just me, but that kind of frigidity in a child of her age is not something I've ever encountered in real life.

Secondly, there is the issue of what happened to Adamie. So he was assassinated. Ok, fair enough, but why did it get so little coverage? o_o it was swept under the carpet in a couple of sentences, and yes, perhaps some of the nobility are a tad on the callous side, but he was, I do believe, the heir presumptive to the Dukeship of an entire province (or country? I'm not sure how the territorial divisions are working out here). Surely that would merit a little more than a crooked eyebrow.

As negative as that sounds, I'm really enjoying this so far D as is probably shown by the fact that I'm still reading...really nicely written (though I'm not huge on focussing on characters), and just, yes. Very nicely done. I'll probably finish this tomorrow )
Alex chapter 8 . 3/18/2011
This is SO SO SO SO SO GOOD! It feels like i check for updates every day but I can't believe it doesn't have more reviews! I do hope you continue writing on this, it's totally awsome.
Kuso.Girl chapter 8 . 2/1/2011
hey look! I'm reviewing!

I know it's over 2 months too late, but this story is pretty interesting, and I would enjoy reading more of it :D I love reading, especially your style.
SucculentAmbush chapter 8 . 1/19/2011
Communist Manifesto ftw? It sounds like it.

Anyways, I've thoroughly enjoyed this so far and am sad you haven't updated in a month and a half. I hope you're still writing this, it's really good. Your first crack at serious fantasy is definitely working out well. I really like your characters, especially Oli, for some reason and at the end of this chapter, I was like 'kiss, kiss, Kiss, KISS, ah." So yeah. Hoping for some fiance action. If that's in the plans. ;)

Cue end of awkward review. Sorry for the awkwardness. ._.
methosdeb chapter 8 . 1/6/2011
I wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed this so far .I thought I would like Seandri best but I think I have come to like Kai just as much if not more.
pradlee chapter 1 . 12/26/2010
The very beginning of this is nice. The combination of your writing style and your mention of Chinese undertones makes the story have a sort of fairy tale air.
jujuberries chapter 8 . 11/28/2010
thank you for continuing to write this story for readers like me :) youve got great writing style, and you know how to weave a realistically fantastical world! youre an awesome author :D
the Italian chapter 8 . 11/28/2010
Very interesting so far. Also, do I detect a vague alternate-world Communist Manifesto? Things like that tickle me, maybe too much. Anyway, keep it up.
FlorVerde chapter 8 . 11/28/2010
I'm frustrated and tired and in a really bad mood but seeing this chapter made me smile and reading it was even better. I love your languid writing with bursts of energy and anger and just plain emotion. And I've just used 'and' too many times, But I digress. Point is: I love this story and I can't wait for more top develop between Kai and Seandri!
aditus chapter 8 . 11/28/2010
I never reviewed this story before but on this sunny Sunday morning I think I can because I finally figured out why I like this story so much. I'm slow sometimes, I know. This story makes me think, the unusual setting, the sometimes surreally behaving protagonists, even a possible conspiracy, what more to ask for? Well maybe the next chapter...Idk if this counts for awkward.
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »