Reviews for OoC: Out of Character
TheRealEvanSG chapter 7 . 2/21
If you like One Piece, all of my stories on include fem!Luffy except one. My account name is TheRealEvanSG both here and there. I suggest you read them! You won't be disappointed.
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 9 . 10/19/2012
How dare someone defile Tolkien's character like that?! Gandalf is my favorite, as well. ):
Moonlightpheonix-xX chapter 5 . 9/30/2012
WHO THE HECK WOULD VIOLATE SUCH AN AWESOME BOOK SERIES IN SUCH A WAY?!
That doesn't sound like Sherlock at all!
CBS must burn!
serrival chapter 5 . 9/30/2012
Interesting stuff you've written here :)

I found the genre tags for your essays amusing- Drama/Angst! Well, the essays do sound a bit like small rants, but I like how your writing has a cool and pacific tone that isn't trying to bash anyone (though this latest chapter is more passionate). It's peaceful to read.

After years of reading fanfiction, I have to say I agree with a lot of points you've brought up. There are some writers who take the bare bones of character and turn them into something completely different. They don't provide any explanation for it besides "this is an AU"; it's like they're taking random people, slapping the canon characters' names on them, and trying to sell the fic as part of the fandom! It's pretty vile once you get a taste of the actual good fanfiction out there.

I thought it'd be nice if you expanded more on what is good OoC, on character development, and on what separates those from bad OoC while I was reading the first two parts of the essay. I know the best fanfiction I've ever read would be considered "OoC" because they developed the characters beyond what the original author had ever done.

For example, one of my favorite Naruto fanfics focused entirely on developing the intricacies and nuances of certain parts of Naruto's character. The chapter which hooked my heart was about the realization that Naruto's stupidity (those traits of not knowing how to read or write well, not being interested in learning) came about because he was never taught the things normal children were expected to learn. The boy struggled with reading a children's book and had to focus entirely on trying to write basic words because he had no parents and no caretakers to teach him those elementary things. While definitely OoC (in that this type of situation was never examined in the canon), it made sense and gave so much more depth to the character than the way he was treated in the original. A sort of Fridge Logic, you could say.

You mentioned this briefly, but I'd like to agree that stories which deviate from the overall character to develop and expand a part of that character's personality or past do work well if the writer takes the time to think about the subtleties involved. Hypothetical situations such as "what if this happened instead?" can make great stories because they show alternatives and possibilities to things we take for granted. In my opinion, characters are meant to be people, so showing that many different things can lead to a character's change in personality, morals, or values is thrilling, since it does say something about people, too.

Of course, all my hype doesn't apply to stories where the character is completely unrecognizable beyond physical traits.
FixedUrFic chapter 5 . 9/30/2012
Hey, I'm glad you're covering OoC because it's one of my least favorite things ever. This suggestion in particular baffles me:

"fanfic is by its very NATURE OOC. Also,what if a canon character is sexy but morally repugnant like Lucius Malfoy? ANYTHING where he expresses affection would be OOC,presumably. Evolve or die, I say!"

Someone apparently hasn't heard of continuation fics, so kudos to you for addressing that comment head on. My rationale for OoC (particularly pertaining to the Malfoy example) is that if it doesn't fit, don't do it. As soon as you write Lucius Malfoy as a cuddly sex-god he ceases to be Lucius Malfoy, so why even profess to write him at all. Just make up your own character.

I just watched Elementary too, but I'm still hesitantly following it. The thing that bothers me the most is that they are obviously setting Sherlock and Watson up for a relationship, and when it actually happens I'll be done. It's pretty telling that they immediately went out of their way to establish that he still has sex despite his quirks... The outlook is not promising, but we'll see.

Good piece. :)
Ghost in the Machine chapter 3 . 9/30/2012
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit. The original author (see note below) does have final say on character personalities and how they evolve and change through time. They set the boundaries and fanfiction authors can either stay within them or push them. While readers/viewers may not agree with canon, it's still canon.

That said, just because something isn't canon, does not make it inherently OOC. If we've read/watched the original material, we know how a character reacts to a given situation. If we present them with a completely novel situation, which we can do in fanfiction, how will they react then? We base the answer on what we know of them, but the more novel the situation, the more leeway we have. Two different authors can have two completely different answers and neither one is wrong. Or right. That's part of what makes fanfiction fun. You don't have to agree 100% with the author in order to enjoy the story. (If you do, you're doing it wrong.)

Note: Some characters (particularly in television) are written by different writers and writing teams over time. They'll have different ideas on how to handle them. Sometimes changes are forced on the writers by circumstances beyond their control. (Such as an actor dying or being arrested, just to name two examples.) Superman today is not the same character Siegel and Shuster invented back in the 1930's. He's adapted and changed with the times. I'm sometimes surprised at how consistent a character can be despite this sort of treatment.
Ghost in the Machine chapter 2 . 9/30/2012
About the worst thing an author can do when called out on an error, is reply, "I'm the author and I said so."

However, since you received an OOC warning going in, how could you possibly be surprised by the OOC behavior? (Turning Amano into a self-insert is a separate issue.)

Lazy author? From your description, that may well be the case. Although 'unskilled' might be more fair. For most people, especially when starting out, it is easier to write yourself than to put yourself, believably, into someone else's shoes. Chalk it up to experience. Hopefully for both of you.
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
When it comes to OOC behavior, the short answer is: If you explain it, it is character development. If you don't explain it, it is OOC.

As to why so many characters wind up OOC, I think you nailed it. The characters, as they are, don't fit the story the author wants to tell. This explains pretty much all 'High School' AUs, the vast majority of slash and a significant portion of romance stories in general.

However, there is clearly an audience for inherently OOC work. So while that author may not be writing for you or me, there is no harm in letting them write for their intended readers. Clicking the back button should work for the rest of us.
emmy chapter 3 . 9/7/2011
I hear what you're saying, basically all my favourite games or anime in fanfictions they characters are not themselves. Ezio and Leonardo will never husband and husband, in Beyblade,Tyson, Kai and the whole of the Russian team will not fall in love and burst into emotional tears and Ray is not a girl or a cat nor can he get pregnant and cry away everyday. In Death Note Light and L cry and fall in love, in Final Fantasy 9 Kuja is so weepy and obviously he is a women (bit of sarcasm there).

I do despair of it sometimes but the reviews to it are always "SQUEE omg is so cute, that would totally happen" and sure maybe it could, but the original artist obviously didn't think so and true its fanfiction so its up to but a bit of respect by a least trying to keep the in character is good right?

I think its all to do with how much effort you put into a fic. You address some damn good pointsso i hope you update soon.
DarkCarolineRiddle chapter 1 . 8/21/2011
I agree with you. I usually read fics, specially of Harry Potter that contains "OoC" to say it in a way, Because I like AUs, Dark stories or stories with life changing decision, but ALWAYS with a background that explain the altered personalities of everyone in play. Stories for example were Harry just go to Voldemort or decide that everyone is againts him, or start being evil out of nowhere are in my opinion horrible and probably written by people that doesn't know or doesn't put the right effort in writing as if should be.
flawlessangel chapter 3 . 2/20/2011
I completely agree with the fact that fan fiction writers should try not to make their characters too OCC. I have read a fan fiction about the TV show house and it was the exact same character as I saw on TV. Its a lot easier to read stories when they accurately portray a characters personality. If someone wanted to change the characters features and personality to show their experiences, it would be better to publish it on fiction press instead of fan fiction.
LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge chapter 3 . 11/26/2010
Here's my two cents.

Having canons going ooc while writing FFs are natural. I, for one, tried challenging my self and my best friend to write a ff without having ANY canons going ooc. It's hard, and 'almost' impossible, especially if the characters are stoic or something near that and you're writing a romance or drama fic.

Take Death Note Another Note for example (I hope you know that piece of literature). It's a prequel to the canon Death Note series and it's written by a professional writer Nishio Ishin [NisiOisin]. One of the protagonist there (refL) had been ooc in the ending. And that's written by a professional, take note of that. The writer had put it there (again, my two cents) to make the readers think he and the other female protagonist will have a special relationship.

I think ooc thing is unavoidable. I'll bet my sandwich on it P

-Rolo
Captain Ben Brazee M.D chapter 1 . 11/25/2010
This is fine work, but consider retitling it without the abbreviation.
Lord Darling chapter 1 . 11/18/2010
Fanfic is by its very NATURE OOC. Also,what if a canon character is sexy but morally repugnant, like Lucius Malfoy? ANYTHING where he expresses affection would be OOC,presumably. Evolve or die, I say!
EternalEmbers chapter 2 . 11/17/2010
I just want to say that I fully agree with you. The main reason I read FF's these days is because I love the characters on the original source material how they are, and want to see more of them(or have their stories expanded upon, from what we see in the source material). I'm more of a character-person though, so I'm all for changing the plot around just to have a character act in-character.

It should come as no surprise that my favorite FFs are the ones that keep the characters completely IC all the way.

I also agree on your review thing at the end. CC is met to help people improve, not to attack their story, but some people who write FFs don't seem to understand that concept for some reason. It confuses me.

And yea, writing yourself in on fanfiction doesn't make any sense to me either.