Reviews for Giselle: The Modern Fairytale
natmarie chapter 1 . 1/31/2011
I was drawn in by the summeary, so in answer to your question, I think it was a good swap out. Funny with a touch of romance. The end line was good too.

This is a tad cynical. I agree that Disney Princes give everyone a unrealistic vision of love, but I am torn between thinking your MC took it a step too far or shouting out a "heck yeah!". Haha. It is interesting how this is told from our narrator's POV. We get a big dose of what she thinks she is like wham, right in the begining and end of this. Parts are a little random. Makes me wonder what other people think of her...and why she is so angsty haha.

I try not to judge a story by it's prologue. So I do wonder where this will go and will most likely be checking back on it to see all the pieces fall into place.
artofjula chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
Well this is a nice beginning. I like how you personify Giselle - she's got spunk. I'm wondering how things will work out. Everything seems well written so far!
Eva Rieycoit chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
Ooh, an interesting take on fairytales. I like how your writing is cynical and yet humorous at the same time, so it's not as hardcore. Haha. And I especially love the term 'kick-ass pessimist', it sounds awesome.

I also think the length of it is good and is not too long or draggy. :)
thefaultinourpatronus chapter 1 . 12/29/2010
Well well well. More often than not we find cynical little ones that don't believe in love. Sorry to tell you that I am definitely not on your side. I'm a romantic, i'm a love-triumphs kind of person, sorry to disappoint. Anyhow, I would still love to read your take on it. So here goes! I'd love an update (:

x mandy
Adrienne Y chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
First of all, I fully agree that How I Met Your Mother is mega awesome. internet five?

Anyway, I'm extremely fond of this character! She is kinda sassy and is confident in herself. I like how she speaks her mind and phrases things differently. 'Kick ass pessimist', that's wicked funny. And I'm starting to think this might not be cliche like some stories. It has originality, which is always likable. Great beginning with the oh so sweet Disney stuff and to turn it around, adding some hardcore pessimist (but true) answers.
Phyneus chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
Very interesting beginning. I must say I am rather a fan of high school stories so I am looking forward to seeing more of this.

I'll be honest though, its going to be hard for me to really 'like' Giselle. She reminds me of just the sort of person I avoided in High School. I hope you have some positive aspects to balance out her character with.

I did love your adaptation of the cute princess q&a from Tumbr. Very amusing. I thought yours was much better. ;)

- Phyn

From The Roadhouse
AnnieStoryTeller chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
HA HA HA HA HA HA! This was an awesome prologue. You certainly put me off from re-writing my own story based on Cinderella. :D Now about your story:

I liked how you started with the quote from tumblr, and then your cynical protagonist goes on to tell us why she thinks each of the things happened. :) It was a very easy and good read.

I liked how Giselle isn't like other girls, and admits the truth to people's faces. She is VERY cynical but I'm just waiting for you to update this and reach the part when she meets her potential Prince.

I'm sure from now it would be HILARIOUS! :) Keep up the good work and do update soon.

Annie.
Around.the.Rainbow chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
I love this prologue very much, but I also love how she links everything the princesses do to sexual appeal...which could be true, but I never thought of it that way. Haha but now I will. I do love Giselle's personality though, it's tough, opioninated, and very...teenager-ish which is good. I can't wait to read her fairytale and see what happens in the new school.

Blood of the Innocent
Serendipitist Swan chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
Cynicism. It just makes a story better. I didn't think it was a big deal.

In fact, I would remove the cynicism warnings from your author's notes. Warnings make the reader wary and quick to judge. Surprise us. If I didn't know what was coming the cynicism would have been a hilarious surprise.

-Swan, from the Roadhouse
xRayne wolfx chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
Okay, I shall admit this- I'm going to love this "fairytale"! :) your character sounds awesome and I kinda enjoyed how you insulted the disney princesses (though I must also admit that I like Belle and cinderelli
IfWeWereInLove chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
Lol! Nice. The idea is very cynical :P And quite interesting.

This is the best:

Now, let's just get this clear, I'm not one of those so-called cynics who say, 'fuck romance' but deep inside, want a prince for themselves. I don't disbelieve in love. Wait that sounded complicated. Let me rephrase, I believe in love and I really think that I'll find it some day. It's just that in high school, it's all about infatuations, crushes and the famously infamous lust. There is no love.

:] Exactly the way I think. Man.

And yes, I do love the show How I Met Your Mother.

I don't know if you intend to make it seem like the protangist is writing the story but that's the way it seems, so I'm guessing you do :]

Also, when questionaire is being answered by the protangist, you might want to keep every answer from starting with because...

Like the way you did for the Ariel question. Simple, because...

Anyway, nice piece of work you've got here.

Keep writing!

Btw, I actually do have a poem about Fairytale Endings on FP :P I wrote after reading continuous Disney tales to my sister and the idea popped into my head. xD

Anyway, keep writing
Vernelley chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
I thought this was a pretty interesting take on a narrator character. I find that normally the cynical type have more of a softer centre, but this one seems to be hard out harsh. That can all be seen in the way she responds to the questions as well as the narrative in general. Having said that, this nice little twist will definitely make for an interesting read.

I think I prefer the current summary, but that's just my personal opinion. Anyway, it'll be great to see where you take this.

Gossip
InkyPink chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Sorry about reviewing Deck first! But guess what, you did the same thing to me with Maybe and the Wolf :P

I thought I'd review this to make it up to you, outside the RG :D

Okay, well I admit that I do like Disney very much, but this made me smile regardless! I loved Giselle's cynicism, especially with Snow White - it's so true when you think about it, they DO grow on trees etc!

I do love dark humour, it makes me want to cackle ;)
lookingwest chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Interesting approach to an opening for sure-I was expecting all of those quotes to be from "somewhere in tumblr" that was a bit discrediting, I'd almost just say, "Unknown". I thought the beginning narrative of Giselle was very strong and she has a lot of attitude, haha, it was a bit humorous because of that and at first I thought this was really just a rant on your personal part but then I saw that you transformed it into a story towards the end by letting the reader know that Giselle was narrating. It definitley hooked me in, if anything!
Kobra Kid chapter 1 . 11/26/2010
Haha, this was great. The Disney Princess ridiculing part made me laugh. It was great, and I already know that I'm going to enjoy this. We can already tell the narrator's personality & diction, which is great! Keep it up!

-Kobra Kid (repaid)