Reviews for Courting Survival: a story of Tudor England
Superslow Jellyfish chapter 10 . 9/6/2011
Haha throwaway character (Norwoord?). Sounds like Ellis. Look what happened there. He was formally introduced in chapter 10 as well. Mentioned in chapter 2, though.

Even though I know how the Mary story goes, it's nice to see her childhood in a new light, as she played her "Queen of Eurpoe games". Though unrequited love sucks. For Norwood and for Mary. I don't know if you've ever seen The Tudors (back away! You're too young! *shields the authoress' eyes during certain scenes*) but the guy who played Brandon was effing HOT! I would marry him in thirty seconds flat. I liked Norwood's mindset. It sounds strangely foreshadowing...I can't help but wonder if Brandon is a power player here...well, this will be interesting, this "love triangle" thing.

Editing help:

"No i cant." "I" must be capitalized. Sentence after that makes the same mistake. And the next dialogue as well. Actually, check all of the dialogue. It's a repeated mistake here.
sarahburry chapter 19 . 9/5/2011
awww man way too short :( But just enough to tide me over :)

So Edward is a deadly guy, eh? He's only what though, 17?

Keep going. We shall talk of this soon...
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 5 . 9/5/2011
It's nice to get some more insight into Jane's life. Considering what we learned of her situation, I'm inclined to feel sorry for her rather than think she brought this upon herself. Sometimes there comes a time in our lives where we're forced to do things we would normally never do - desperation times that call for desperate measures. To shun someone merely because they have the spine to do what they have to do, regardless if their actions are those of a whore, is not something I normally do. Now, if she decided to be a whore because she liked the profession, that's a different story entirely. But as things stand, it doesn't seem that's the case at all.

I like how you revisited this period in Jane's life first-hand, because it helps with the immersion of the story, and it shows us the events rather than tells us. Showing always serves to keep a readers interest much more rapt.

The thought of girls having to whore themselves out at this age makes me incredibly depressed. I'm very glad I didn't have to grow up in this time period.
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 4 . 9/4/2011
I do like how Katherine is a very proud girl, ignoring how those people watch her when she comes riding into the town. Her posture speaks a lot about her personality, and if I hadn't already read the later chapters of this story, I'd already be able to tell she has a stubborn, proud spirit. This can be both a good and a bad thing, of course. Especially if she's going to get all mixed up in the courts, haha. But I like it all the same - I won't have to worry about her letting people push her around.

I did notice a lot of back story in regards to Wolsey. Now, I'm going to be honest that it hard to keep my attention, but I'm also a person who's easily distracted by shiny objects or the promise of violence. That being said, from my experienced (and from feedback I've received on past stories) it's always best to make sure that what you're telling us is going to be integral to the plot in one way or another. And if it is, and there happens to be a plethora of information, normally it's best to sprinkle it throughout the story rather than include multiple, larger paragraphs.

I did enjoy the interaction between Elizabeth and William at the end, mostly because it reflects back on what Katherine was thinking earlier on. It's nice to see that they care about her, considering she doesn't think they do.
Katalina Tomas chapter 3 . 9/3/2011
Sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner. :( I've been way too busy to get on FP.

I enjoyed your descriptions, they set the scene really well. The language you use, I've noticed, fits the time period I think they live in. It adds to the authenticity and reality of your story.

[...she had developed perhaps an unhealthy liking to cursing.] I laughed when I read this, because for some reason the way you wrote it struck me as comical. I suppose it's written that way because it's not exactly modern times, but it's funny nevertheless. Just thought I'd point that out. :) It was a nice touch.

I was just a little confused at the part where Katherine comes into the room - it says that Elizabeth masks her frustration and looks well dressed in her gown. Is this supposed to be Katherine, or am I missing something?

Anyways, I still love your story. :) And I promise to get back to it as soon as I can. ~Kat
sarahburry chapter 18 . 8/30/2011
"You great oaf! Did you tell Her Grace that im your lover?"

"Edward, im beginning to think you

"I told her ide like you to be

What do we have here? im? im? and ide?

Did someone write this on their phone? lol.

Oh kayward, you make my heart sing.
Matcha-mousse chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
I like the drama in this, and the realism. I myself am terrible at writing historical stuff, so bravo to you.
cerebral1 chapter 17 . 8/24/2011
Wow, that was a switcheroo! Although, I think you have your next chapter's title: Leap of Faith. I think I would believe Edward if I were Kay; after all, if he's wrong, it sounds like he'll become the husband to share her! I still think Wolsey is her real father, but I don't know the real history of Wolsey, so I don't know if that was possible. I do know Henry VIII had an STD that made him sterile in later years. I really like the ending twist; I'm enjoying your plot immensely. One suggestion: proofread. i should always be I; reigns are reins (horses);it's steed, not stead;more/most lavish, not lavishest. I did like the description of the storm clouds, and the gardens, as well as "the abyss of people,", and I loved the line that began, "These damn royals are the least punctual creatures..." Laughed out loud! Hurry up and update more!
cerebral1 chapter 16 . 8/24/2011
Here I am, up to chapter 16! This was a great chapter that cleared up any confusion from previous chapters. Every once in a while a story has to have one of these types of narratives for any easily-confused readers :) Anyway, good descriptions of Edward's and Katherine's feelings, although Edward won't like Katherine's decision to ignore her attraction. I hope Alice and Katherine eventually meet, and I have a feeling of foreboding with this rapist; I think Edward might know him from the past. A few spelling errors: "some of money" should be "sum". "latter of success" is really "ladder"."god only knows" should be "God". On to the next chapter!
Superslow Jellyfish chapter 9 . 8/24/2011
Going to fuel the drug addiction like you fueled my endless mind boggling. Payback time. Literally.

Poor Bess! She can't have children! I want to hug her and tell her she's lucky she'll live to her forties unlike other women who die from childbirth (coughcoughJanecough).

"She was very beautiful, but not in the striking way like Katherine." OOOOOO He's attracted to her...He's such a rebel, with that protective instinct. You're going to build this up...nice.

I like Wolsey best. He was real, but the way you play him up is so intriguing and like he's got this special agenda. We also got to see his soft spot for Jane, which is canon and pretty awesome. I also voted for Katherine because she isn't a flat main character and she's got those teen emotions, and I'm probably the only person who voted for Bess because she's just a really great mother and someone with the saddest backstory that makes her so loveable and makes her grow as a character, even though she's more minor than others. Shut up. :D

-BM-
cerebral1 chapter 15 . 8/24/2011
Okay, I'm a little confused; I thought Alice was killed by her father, so I don't get the ending of this chapter. Is it real,or a flashback from someone else's eyes? I also still don't think Katherine would cuss quite as much as she does in this time period. I do like Edward; still don't trust Richard. A lot of info in this chapter. I'll probably read the next one tomorrow. Congrats on your 100 reviews!
Katerzzz chapter 5 . 8/23/2011
Review Payback 4/4!

I can see us getting further and further into the main plot now :) I find it hilarious that Kate and Edward don't get along, but it may be because I'm tired as opposed to actually finding it funny...

You do what I do...connect everybody through webs, like everyone knows someone who knows someone...at least in my Kellerverse...ish...anyway...it was again a nicely written chapter and before I fall asleep on the keyboard and leave a long line of gobbledegoop, Imma sign off and say I can't wait to read more!

Hope you enjoy reading rest of E & A!

Katerzzz chapter 4 . 8/23/2011
Review Payback 3/4!

Did Wolsey have a mistress? Really? Wow, the fat little man in red did get some...sorry...tiredness makes me either crude or cranky...and today is the former...

Anyway! It's interesting that she loves Wolsey, can't see why though, but power is sexy I suppose...and I won't be surprised if he knew her birth mother...its all adding up quite nicely here.

Wolsey was a pretty scheming individual in real life...and you've portrayed that perfectly...

One little quip, Bloody Mary was born in 1516, so she wouldn't have been alive in 1512, but you could use on of the other royal bubbahs, Kate of A. had plenty of 'em.

Off to payback my final outstanding review!
Katerzzz chapter 3 . 8/23/2011
Review Payback 2/4!

This story gets more and more twisty and turny, I like it :) Another great chapter, what I love about your writing style is how you pick out great little details that other people could just leave out :D I'm such a nerd!

The idea of a hunt is just so romantic to me, I'v never been on one, but I have a bit of a hunt in Edward & Alice, though that's set a good four hundred years after this is

I hope Kate (can I call her Kate?) is okay after that revelation...it'll be so sad if she isn't...

Off to read more!

Katerzzz chapter 2 . 8/23/2011
Review Payback 1/4!

Wowza! Thats a lot of stuff that takes place in this chapter, ever considered thinning it out a bit? Or it may be cos I'm just tired I'm not sure...anyway...aside from that it's beautifully written...and you have the same knack that I do (so they say) of fitting dialogue to a time period, too often I read wonderful period pieces that have dialogue such as "Oi! Barry, come and give us hand!" or such...it really doesn't fit...but you don't have this problem it seems :)

I like Katherine's character, it may just be because my name is Katherine but I'm not sure...she seems to have her head screwed on...I can't wait to see what happens when she meets Henry at Court..off to read more!

129 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »