Reviews for Somewhere Only We Know
Julietish chapter 1 . 8/11/2014
Hi, it's Juliet from A Drop of Romeo. I wanted to let you know that ADoR reviewed your story, so here's your review:

Something that very few people know about me is my deep and abiding love for romances about soldiers and the people who love them. I don't know any soldiers personally, nor do I know anyone who is married to a soldier, but I'm fascinated by the complex and never-ending emotions surrounding such a connection. Somewhere Only We Know approaches love, war, and healing from a very unique perspective. Sam and Chris were deeply in love, but their relationship fell apart after Chris left for Iraq. Sam was devastated by his decision to join the service and leave her. Stories about soldiers rarely focus on individuals who can't handle the separation and I enjoyed Sam's point of view and struggles, even though her reasoning wasn't always easy for me to understand. Chris followed a journey of emotion typical of soldiers returning from war, an often deeply psychological and painful process.

Scheherzade formatted the story in a very interesting way. I expected a 12 chapter novella, but instead discovered short drabbles spanning the relationship of Chris and Sam from when Chris reenters her life as they finally begin to heal together. Each chapter focuses on one line from the song 12 Days of Christmas, but this is not a Christmas story. It's about love, loss, forgiveness, and learning to begin again. Sam and Chris have a deep connection, obviously built over the course of many years, and I was caught up in their chemistry from the first moment. Scheherzade's prose are emotional and difficult at times, but, overall, absolutely beautiful. If I could request anything from this story, I'd wish for longer chapters to allow for a bit more plot development and character history. However, I liked how each chapter focused on a pivotal moment in their relationship - like snapshots of a life spent together. Somewhere Only We Know was also a SKOW prompt winner and, after reading it myself and falling for Sam and Chris' story, I'm elated to add it to ADoR as well. Definitely check it out if you're looking for a fast, lovely read!
Julietish chapter 12 . 8/10/2014
Hi, it's Juliet from A Drop of Romeo to let you know that your story has been reviewed on our site. Congratulations! Here's the review:

Every once in a while, a girl needs to read a lighthearted, cute romance story that doesn't rouse any existential quandaries. Sure, big, heart-wrenching novels are great, but little fluff pieces like "It's Lucky Charms Time!" by Emedea are what really keep us sane.
Mostly-vegan-animal-lover Charlie is neck-deep in a tragedy when the story begins: Her hamster, Mario, has died. She's frantic with concern for her furry friend, and no one will help her out-not her germaphobe roomie Phoebe nor her weirdly stressed out boyfriend Jason. Jason is trying to take Charlie on a date, but her grief for Mario and his lack of understanding cause the date to end in heartbreak. So, Charlie spends the next day lying in bed crying-because of Mario, of course. She's determined to deny her sadness over Jason, but he's not letting her go so easily.

Throughout the story, the narrator maintains a lighthearted voice. I laughed out loud several times because of Charlie's oblivious antics and inner musings. It's nice to read a female character who's not cynical and bitter all the time. I admit I'm not a completely objective reviewer; I may have a soft spot for her non-meat eating animal-loving ways. Jason's a great character, too. Though cliche at times, he perfectly embodies the role of a rational man in love with a madwoman.

So while this one-shot won't be breaking any barriers or changing lives, it's the perfect read if you're looking for a little pick-me-up or just have a few extra minutes.
Maximum-Strawberry chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
Are you really from Lahore? I'm from South Asia too and I know for a fact that people there don't celebrate Halloween or take SATs (unless you want to get into an American college or celebrate with a few select people.)These are norms for Americans.
Lavenderbeach chapter 12 . 1/30/2011
It was so good! So many symbols. I loved it
JustPlainJane chapter 12 . 1/28/2011
This is wonderful! I really loved it! :) Congrats for winning!

...oh, and I love this song, "somewhere only we know" by Keane.

Awesome job!
FauxAfflictions chapter 12 . 1/22/2011
I like:)
a.lowe2010 chapter 12 . 1/11/2011
you are a very talented author. I love this story. i think it deserves more than just 30 reviews. Its one of the best i have read and its one that i will think about when i am reading others. It is the one that I will compare other stories to.
castiel89 chapter 12 . 1/10/2011
I've had friend's and family members fight over seas so it kinda hit home. My friend's ex-boyfriend served, and although they weren't together, she still worried about him everyday!

Definitely worthy of winning SKoW's prompt!
Tigerlily chapter 12 . 1/8/2011
Aw...I loved it! Haha, you seem to love the names Chris Clayton and Sam Montgomery. I saw on the SKoW page that you were the latest winner! Congratulations! You definitely deserved it. Keep on writing! :)
MistressBlack852 chapter 12 . 1/4/2011
Absolutely loved it. Heart tugging, emotional and brilliant
Neha chapter 1 . 12/21/2010
Is this the same Sam and Chris from 'The Man Upstairs Has It In For Me'?
SnoQueen chapter 12 . 12/19/2010
Oh wow. That was a very emotional story! I enjoyed every moment of it. (:

Keep it up!

SnoQueen
StarzXAndXMoon chapter 12 . 12/18/2010
Aw! Yay! A perfect ending. And yes, the partridge falling off was kinda funny. Didn't really expect that. Well done, Sherry. You've written a wonderful story :)

'Ever after is a long time'

StarzXAndXMoon
Naura chapter 11 . 12/18/2010
I can see that it's the second-last chapter, but this HAS to be the best chapter yet. Well, in my opinion anyway. Reading the last one now!

Naura