Reviews for Cooler by the Water
hales chapter 5 . 3/22/2011
I just read this whole thing in like 20 minutes, I absolutely ADORE it. Elliot (or...'Elliot', haha WHAT IS YOUR REAL NAME SIR) might be my favourite male character of yours yet! Is he a criminal? Running from the law? OR PERHAPS A HORRIBLE TRAGEDY, IDK IDK BUT I WANT TO KNOW SO BADLY! You're writing him so well, and I love the bits from his perspective, his 'voice' is really great. And I also really really like Mara. None of the characters feel as though they could be interchangeable with any other girl or guy and still have the story work. The detail in the background stories so far is also excellent.

I can't wait for more of this, I'm really looking forward to it!

-hales
Danica West chapter 5 . 3/19/2011
Wauw, I'm late! Funny how life seems to get in the way :)

But seriously, the chapter's keep getting better and better! I absolutely love this and I'll forever envy your way of describing and writing funny and interesting dialogue. I loved the way Mara seemed to analyze him and figure out that Elliot is much more than just a hardworking farmer guy. If I was Mara I'd probably also wonder why he'd chosen to work at a farm instead of getting another job (no diss towards the farming community! - I come from a farmer family myself haha)

I'm desperate, man! I'm so curious about Elliot's past that it's driving me insane. Reading your stories is addictive and self-torturous! By the end of the chapter I'm like 'no... need...want.. more.."

Anyways, moving on.. the 'family scene'; OUTfreakinSTANDING. I was so absorbed when I read it 'cause it felt so real! Like I was observing a real family's morning routine/chaos! .. I have a feeling it's probably something you've experienced quite often. And the characters are so easy to picture too. Paige, the cliche teenage girl whose cell is glued to her hand, the youngsters playing with Pop Tarts, Tj, the laid-back father/brother and least but not last... Donovan! hahaha, oh Poppy.. you spoil me! Him arriving in his cruiser..in a uniform.. and he's going to a show and tell meeting! That's so cute! I wish you could write a filler-chapter where you described how that went :) Again, I'm in love.

Some day, in the near future I hope Donovan gets his own story mwehe.

Also, Zach is a very interesting character. I like that you made him deaf. It makes it even more real, if it makes sense.

Seriously, you did an amazing job at introducing all these characters.

You, my friend.. you got mad skillz!

I'm excited to see what happens during this dinner :) ooh, can't wait!
Midnight113 chapter 5 . 3/11/2011
Who cares if realistically it's only for a day, the important thing is she gets to be around Mr. Mystery Elliot so it all works out in the end. I'd keep going back regardless myself, lol. Report? What report? ;) As always, I loved it. Especially the way he gets her to turn the subject of conversation back around to herself, he's pretty good at that in his own little sneaky way. I can't wait for more and good luck with SKoW, your work definitely deserves the recognition and already has my vote.
chng234 chapter 5 . 3/10/2011
elliot is such a mysterious guy...he seems to be a guy full of secrets
Preposterous chapter 5 . 3/10/2011
Awesome update!

I like how the Elliot/Mara relationship is playing out.

It's also nice to finally meet Mara's family. The children are wild.
sappyromancelvr chapter 5 . 3/10/2011
Quite a mysterious character "Elliot" is. :)
Miss Bitterbiscuit chapter 3 . 3/10/2011
I like your story a lot but I'm sure the angst is coming soon if the Prologue was any indication. But what's romance without angst, its like having day without night. LOL!
Chryse chapter 5 . 3/10/2011
Nothing like some good-natured teasing ... I'll be curious if Elliot ever does let something slip. I like that Mara doesn't immediately jump on the whole background check thing, though I imagine it might be more of a temptation in the future?
andee lee chapter 5 . 3/10/2011
So you know how talented I think you are, but this chapter really had me sitting back and wondering how the hell you manage to make things flow so well like you always do. There's never a moment where I think to myself, "Where did that come from?" which I pretty much think a lot when reading other stuff. It sounds cheesy but when I read I can sort of imagine the things happening as I read about them, as if it were a movie, and I love that about this story. Plus your characters are all so lively and real...and that sounded weird but you know what I mean, right?

I really loved seeing more of Mara's family - dude, they be crazy! There really is a lot going on in that house and that entire scene captured that really well. Plus it was hilarious! Pop Tart football. LOL! And Donovan? Well, hello officer! He needs a love interest, I think. Her name should be Andrina Michele. Yeah I don't know. LMAO "Gun safety?" and a hot cop with a gun, yes ma'am! I also really like Zach - I guess being deaf kind of makes him immune to the chaos and I liked how he just sat back and let himself be entertained. The last paragraph about Mara being a teenager once but not being able to relate to Paige was pretty clever, too.

No way Mara's business on the farm is going to be finished in a week and a half so I'm interested as to how that's all going to work out... and of course I need to know more about Elliot so she can't leave until she figures out all of his deepest darkest secrets (and sees him naked).

ALSO I love when the POV switches between the two of them - I really like getting into Elliot's head, and I wasn't disappointed this time because he's totes admitting he wants that hot reporter bod. LOL. It's only a matter of time now farmer boy! ALSO (again) I am intrigued a lot by Elliot: "He was very good at not showing weakness. A skill that he'd learned the hard way." HMM... He's one sexy, mysterious farmer I will give you that.

Love it, love it, love it. Really. I feel like I'm not on top of my review game here but I hope that it's pretty clear that you're the shit and this is the shit and this shit is the shit! OKAY. I'm done. I know I left a lot of things out that I wanted to say but that was a long ass chapter and you know about my memory problems. PS - I REALLY LOVE LONG CHAPTERS KEEP 'EM COMING. DON'T STOP. DON'T EVER STOP. OH YEAH.
Weirderest chapter 4 . 3/5/2011
I really like this story cause' its really got me wondering. There's a bit of everything i like in a story in this one. Cam't wait to read more!
mmjasamjaudia4eva chapter 4 . 2/27/2011
this fic is exciting so farr! hope you update soon!
Salt and Vinegar Pringles chapter 4 . 2/24/2011
Whoa. Intriguing to the max! The mystery! I can't wait to find out who he was 'before'. Loving it!
sappyromancelvr chapter 4 . 2/21/2011
Dang. I'm getting oh so curious about Elliot's past. He is isn't some convict who broke out of jail is he?
sappyromancelvr chapter 3 . 2/21/2011
Oh come on. If they don't end up together then who will be their other half? :)
Madame Jenn chapter 4 . 2/18/2011
I love Mara's character! She's just so much fun.

And Elliot is so mysterious; I can't wait until his past is revealed.

Please update soon! :)