Reviews for Cooler by the Water
Danica West chapter 4 . 2/17/2011
I loved your switch of POV's! It was interesting to be inside Elliot's head and see how his mysterious mind works. I like how you described that he (more than once) had to suppress his urge to smile - it makes him so interesting 'cause clearly he's hiding this different side of him that seems more easy going, and not so cold and emotionless.. which brings me to, what in the world has he done since he had to put up these big walls? ..and why is he so secretive? what has he done? ah, I'm so curious! I love it!

and "Do you ever smile, Mr. Lancaster?" I loved that line and I absolutely love Mara!

Loved the last part where Elliot is watching her without her knowing.. he's definitely smitten :)And yay for the Superman reference!

Awesome writing as always. Can't wait for the next chapter :)
Midnight113 chapter 4 . 2/16/2011
Well I'm glad they're starting to get along, to some extent. These characters are adorable and Elliot is very mysterious... I'm getting this vibe that he killed someone or something bad like that since he's reluctant to have his picture taken and stuff. Interesting... I hope she can continue to crack his story while focusing on the farm as well. Oh and I adore his POV so don't change anything, in fact, more please! ;) Update soon!
Michi chapter 4 . 2/16/2011
Love it so far! Please keep up the great work!
Preposterous chapter 4 . 2/15/2011
Amazing update!

Elliot's getting cuter by the second. You create such lovable characters. Elliot's background is really mysterious. I wonder if he was a murderer or something equally horrible in the past.
flunkybubbleshorts chapter 4 . 2/15/2011
Hey! Awesome update. I'm reading ti first thing this morning and feeling all smile-y and happy :)

No, I don't think you should go back and write it in Mara's POV because this is quite an amazing chapter and I can't imagine it being any different. (You could post that separately as a one-shot if you like :P ) Mara is probably more straightforward than Elliot (or at least, she seems to be). Plus, Elliot is a big mystery to us readers. So, when you write in his POV, I feel like I know a little bit more about him. Makes me feel good :)

I'm sure you'll manage to work all those juicy details about these kick-ass characters in the up-coming chapters. I am definitely looking forward to that!

Also, the last two paragraphs with Elliot's thoughts? *swoon*
chng234 chapter 4 . 2/14/2011
elliot is an interesting character.. i wonder what his past was
TouchOfChaos chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
hurry up and update...

please.
Chryse chapter 4 . 2/14/2011
Quote: She pulled out a pen, poised it over her pad and said, very seriously, "Do you ever smile, Mr. Lancaster?"

The laughter bubbled up from inside him so quickly he couldn't contain it, and a grin broke out over his face in response. Mara's eyes lit up in pleasure as she smiled back at him, clearly pleased with herself for breaking through his fa├žade.

End Quote

Ahh, so cute! I really enjoyed getting inside his head a bit. You've set up quite the card-tower of a situation ... I wonder what the first bit to fall will be. Mara and Elliot are intriguing characters to see interact. Do continue! Happy Valentine's!
ShrimpoJewels chapter 4 . 2/14/2011
Yay an update ) I like the POV's. I adore reading the guys POV mainly for the romantic side of everything and of course you can never go wrong with Mara's POV either way it works.

Happy Valentine's Day!
ACK GUESS chapter 4 . 2/14/2011
I had to log out just so I could tell you that I REALLY like the way you added in from Elliot's POV. It's not confusing at all - it's like one great big man in the sky is observing everything and just kind of putting it all out there. (Farmer Jesus.)

ANYWAY Just wanted to tell you that. Because I know you were wondering about MY opinion. Plus I'd like to get inside Elliot's head. ANd his pants but that's another story...

WAIT ONE MORE THING. I personally think it's easier to follow when each character kind of has sections to themselves - without the other character's inner monologue peeking through - BUT read any one of my shitty FICTLINS and you will find that I did not do this. So ... I can't even offer up an opinion and everything I said in this review (aside from wanting to get in Elliot's pants) is all bullshit.

YAY!
andee lee chapter 4 . 2/14/2011
Dude. I love it. There's nothing sexier than a manly man who is hiding a dark past, who is afraid to be vulnerable and who doesn't want to show his true feelings - holy hell. I want one. Right now. Those last two paragraphs were the clincher for me, when he finally allowed himself to look at her - I'm in love.

The descriptions in this chapter were bee-a-utiful! Really well done. This was one of my favorites: "The steep incline on the other side was covered in a fresh layer of butter yellow leaves, the trees from which they fell seeming to erupt horizontally from the earth. Years of erosion had wiped away the top layer of dirt, revealing their twisted roots like gnarled hands scrabbling for purchase." Nice! And I loved at the end, the part about Lois Lane and Clark Kent. BRILL! Don't ever tell me that you can't write EVER AGAIN or I will drive my ass to Ohio and it will sit on you. And you WON'T like it. It won't be sexy at all.

So I have no idea what Elliot may be hiding. I mean...did he KILL someone? And if he did, WHY did he do it? He just doesn't strike me as the type to kill someone just because he's crazy - or maybe he was framed? OR he was covering up for someone else? MAYBE HE WAS IN THE MAFIA? Farmer mafia. That's hot. I don't even know what I'm talking about but I want to KNOW. Although I also want to wait because it'll make it that much more fun to read. :D

Also, I really like Mara. I know I've said that, but she's got spunk! I loved when she asked him if he ever smiled. I was all "GO GIRL!" Her personality is great and really comes through well as I'm reading which is quite the proof of yo mad skillz.

Anyway. I like it, I love it, I want some more of it...and I'm jealous I didn't think of this idea because it's amazeballs. THE END! :D PS - UPDATE SOON. I WILL BUG YOU UNTIL YOU DO.
luzanima chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
Wow! A new story! I haven't gotten the chance to start reading it yet, but as soon as I checked your profile and saw you were working on a new one I added it to my story alerts. I'll leave a proper review once I have time to start reading - can't wait!
Preposterous chapter 3 . 2/1/2011
To answer the questions you posed:

- Yeah, Mara and Elliot should definitely end up together! What kind of story would it be if they didn't?

- Government subsidized farms are a great topic. I read an article a couple of years ago about rich landowners who were paid subsidized farm fees from the government even though they weren't farmers. It really made me angry.

I hope you update soon. I'm a big fan of your stories.
Danica West chapter 3 . 1/15/2011
Oh. My. God!

Oh, this was god! You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this!

I've been in Thailand for the last two weeks with no internet connection whatsoever, and let me just tell you how close I was from shutting down (sad, eh?) But finally I just, and I mean JUST arrived at a hotel with free wifi.. Yes, back to civilization! and a stuffed mail account.. and I'm not kidding when I say the first one I read was the e-mail from fp!

But I honestly don't know where to begin. How can you make a story about farming be so interesting? You could write a story about a potato and make it thrilling! Also, you must be insanely smart, because in all of your stories you seem to have all of the plots covered. From Sydney's view it sounds like you could open your own coffee shop. From Callie's view it sounds like you've been threatened and know the whole court and police procedure.. and if you wanted to you could probably become a writer at the New York Times or something..

maybe you just know how to do your research :) ..bottom line, I love this plot. And oh, how I love your characters! Trust me the moment the name Donovan popped up I already had a good feeling about him and reading the end of your AN just made my day. Delaney's got competition now, haha! But yes, when you finish this story, please write Donovan's! :)

Dammit, I wish you had the ability to write character's to life. Now wouldn't that just be delightful? :)

I love the tension between Elliot and Mara :) and yes, they have to end up together, but how that all happens is up to you. Work your magic! I seriously laughed when I found out his name was Elliot because of my earlier reference to Christian Kane. (I also love Leverage and I loved Elliot from episode one - he gets the job done haha)

But back to your Elliot.. oh boy, oh boy. Badass! He also seems to be one hot piece of ass! The way you can describe a man - oof! I'm just so incredibly curious about his past and what's he's done to make him this mysterious.

Dammit Poppy you've done it again! And you'll continue to do it until you get bored of it, which I really hope won't happen :) Ever. I'm so hooked! Amazing chapter, great descriptions, funny dialogue (Alex, need I say more?) I could continue boosting your ego but I stink and I need a shower hahaha..

And I'm actually in the process of continuing my story, but... did I mention I'm sitting next to a pool and the sun is shining? ..sorry, I needed to brag :)

Until next time (argh, I can hardly wait, man!)

See ya popsy :)
Kohlomere chapter 3 . 1/14/2011
No missy, lame things don't issue from your mind! Subsidized farms are interesting as can be. I never get enough opportunities to discuss them myself, but people just don't think it's polite to talk politics in mixed company. Oh well...

Why do I have the feeling that this story will be very different from your others. I think this will be a good change of pace for you.

Great work,