Reviews for Cooler by the Water
Madame Jenn chapter 10 . 8/16/2011
I seriously love Mara and Elliot.

And that last little bit made me smile.

Elliot's like a little boy wanking off to his crush. Haha.

But seriously, your characters are great and your writing is great. The emotion is captured perfectly.

Update soon! I'm looking forward to it :)
flunkybubbleshorts chapter 10 . 8/16/2011
HAHAHAHAH! A SUIT? Only you could think of that, I swear! It's bloody brilliant! I would not have thought if that if you were holding a knife at my throat!

Horny Elliot fun Elliot :P I like him. So honest, so out-there!

Mara is Mara - it's hard not to really look up to her character..

I'm so looking forward to what's ahead.
SayingHi chapter 6 . 7/26/2011
Loving the underlying romance that is occurring!

I actually took a biochemistry class this past semester on biological energy conversion. (It was an elective that initially sounded interesting - "Harnessing Solar Energy" - but ended up being a deathly bore headed by two professors who took turns lecturing, yet did not coordinate their material very well. You can guess how that affected my exam grades.) The topic of ethanol and biodiesel production from biomass was covered, which actually made me grateful for having this prior knowledge when reading the chapter. If I hadn't, honestly I think the entire dinner discussion on subsidies would have come out of left field and gone right over my head!

Regardless, I like that you're appealing to more mature readers. I always appreciate authors who do any amount of research for their stories, really allowing it to have a more realistic edge and still being a delight to read. I think that you've combined a good amount of facts, tainted or not, with the fiction throughout the chapters.

Also, I wanted to point out that in this part, "The engine roared to life then and she smashed her foot onto the clutch, wrenching the worn gear shift into second for the third time that morning. It began to move slowly and he walked along next to her until she tentatively pushed the clutch again, attempting to shift into second." I believe you meant she shifted into first gear for the third time that morning.
Midnight113 chapter 9 . 7/23/2011
Now this chapter has to be one of my absolute favorites! The emotion and tension going on was insane! And finally he acknowledges the connection/attraction between them *happy dance* You don't know how much I loved the blow up, confrontation scene, seriously it was so good! I mean, very, very sad of course but I love the drama. Oh and that cliffhanger ending with that news was devastating. I was really fond of Evie. She saw the connection and the good in Elliot and was such a sweetheart. I'm curious to see how things span out with this news and with Elliot and Mara. His past seems a lot more clearer now but it's still so shadowy. I definitely want more. Update soon!

P.S. Okay... maybe I am a little biased... so sue me. ;)
N.M.E chapter 9 . 7/23/2011
As promised, a fast update! I like it! :D This chapter, I thought, had more life in it. A lot of passion and concentrated more on the characters' feelings. Yet, it was still very ambiguous and mysterious. Very interesting! I think I might like Mara's character more than I like Elliot's :P She's stubborn AND sensitive. Evie? :P If I thought any of them had to die, it might have been Jack more than Evie. A little unexpected though. I was wondering how you were going to stop him from leaving momentarily and Mara coming back. I got my answer! Thanks for the fast update!
ShrimpoJewels chapter 9 . 7/23/2011
Oh the drama is right...

Oh Elliot, why are you so difficult?

And poor Evie and course poor Jack (
tell it to the sky chapter 9 . 7/23/2011
really enjoying this! sad that Evie has died. but now she has to see Elliot again. looking forward to the next update.
sappyromancelvr chapter 9 . 7/23/2011
gah. aw frick. :(
sappyromancelvr chapter 8 . 7/23/2011
eeee. :) Elliot and Mara. they fit together so well.
SayingHi chapter 4 . 7/22/2011
I enjoyed this chapter from Elliot's POV! It was insightful and I found him very charming. The last bit, especially, about his thoughts on Mara made me smile! I really like their interactions.

Loving the story so far, will be reading more~
AmyRose1978 chapter 9 . 7/22/2011
Argh! What a cliffhanger! If I had my way you'd be chained to the computer until you've got the next chapter up...also if I had my way Elliot would be chained in my closet.
andee lee chapter 9 . 7/22/2011
Ugh. Way to give us all a case of the badass-character-just-died-sads AND a case of the pent-up-sexual-frustration-turned-to-argument-sads. That was too many hyphens. Poor Evie! Poor JACK! UGH. My heart breaks for Jack. :( Sad face times a million.

Also, my poor, poor Elliot. I feel sorry for him even though a lot of the time I just want to punch his face in for being such a stubborn asshole! DUDE. But his complications and his stubbornness just make him all the more sexy so way to go on that one, ma'am. I had a feeling he had a shitty past, and it makes sense. It also makes me want to wrap my arms around his toned forearms and make sweet sweet love to him. Or something.

Um, the "brother" scene there at the end...sweet Lord woman. That was hot. I would have caved right there, I would have just fallen to the ground, pulled my pants off and said "TAKE ME NOW" and not even care. HAHA.

I also feel bad for Mara because homegirl can't help but want him. I love that spark between them...it's been there since the beginning and it always gives me that kind of warm, fuzzy feeling deep down (in my pants).

That sucks that Evie died, although HEY I think I remember something about something that you may have mentioned in an email before...can't wait, biatch. Make it happen. ASAP. Like right now. I am preparing my basement as we speak.

GREAT CHAPTER. I loved the emotional confrontation! I loved it! DRAMA IS THE SHIT! And you're so good at it! Now I am bracing myself for the sad that is to come...and also the other thing which I will not say anything more about. ;)

PS - "She'd scoured every database and every FBI fugitive list she could find, searched missing person's reports, and known lists of escaped convicts and organized crime members." Maybe THAT is where BBBF is hiding? Let's pull out the FBI's most wanted list.

PPS - this is the worst review ever, I sound like a horny teenage boy. LOL.
mmjasamjaudia4eva chapter 9 . 7/22/2011
ahh..poor elliot! but i sitll wanna know what else he is hiding?...and evie...its so sad..but i love it at the sazme time! cant wait for more
flunkybubbleshorts chapter 9 . 7/22/2011
Aww! Evie died!

Maybe it's hindsight - but now I can sort of see why Evie wasn't the super-adorable grandmother character that readers cry over. Maybe because you _knew_ she was going to die? Hmm?

Also, I guess that's how Jack and Evie are - down to earth farmers without any of the city-grandparent fluff. I still wonder, though, if she'd have been different if you hadn't known she was dying.

I liked how the confrontation turned out actually. It was head-on like Mara is and a little passive aggressive like Elliot. Quite perfect.

Also, death is the perfect reason to go back to the farm, I suppose. Now Mara thinks she needs to go visit and maybe help Elliot cope while she's there and Elliot thinks Jack is all alone and maybe he should stick around and help out...?

(Sorry for going all shrink on this :D I have an imagination. A tame one, but an imagination nonetheless.)

Happy writing :)
Chryse chapter 9 . 7/22/2011
You are a cruel, cruel author. Lol. I liked the drama, too, so I'm glad you kept it. I'd like to see where you're going with this whole getting-Mara-back-to-the-farm thing. The quick update was nice - is there hope for another, ha ha?
199 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. Last Next »