Reviews for A Fire in Winter
JHeartbreak chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
I love your sense of sensuality. It permeates every scene. I think I also mentioned that in my review of Lie.

I like the world it's set in. To be honest, I don't usually like worl-building stories. But yours had a Kafka-esque surreality. ('New Poland' is about the most surreal locution anyone could come up with.) I like that you rest on these associations and feelings and symbols rather than going into this hyper-rational mode like most world-builders.
xanthofile chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
i have no words on how i feel about this piece, other than being blown away. the world, the characters, the craftmanship. simply astounding.
Kuso.Girl chapter 1 . 1/31/2011
This is great. I woke up this morning in the mood to read something, but not just anything...something to keep me entertained and feeling. And this story definitely made me feel. And like others have said, the world you've created is really interesting. I kinda stink when it comes to creating new worlds, so I'm jealous that you did such a good job :D

Please continue this story!
Triizore chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
I really like the world you've managed to create here. It seems so vivid without falling into the trap of over-description.

However, I was tripped up a bit by this line, and the repetition of the word "cries":

He goes down just as his comrade did, although he cries out as he dies, filling the air with his agonized cries.

Other than that I have to say that I love the ambiguity of Sky's gender, I found my idea of how the fire witch look changing with every scene.
Vera Dicere chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
i really, really like this. the world you've sketched out is seriously intriguing and i'd love to see more of it. i'm kind of fascinated by the idea of twins sharing a body and what it means for the fire witches to embody both genders, and what it means for ira and luz that they were born separate. i think you've got something really interesting here and, as much as i enjoyed this little slice of it, i'd love to see what you would do with an expanded version.
Cattails chapter 1 . 1/4/2011
Chas. You...you. Just you. I am at a loss for words.

Do you know how brilliant this is? Fr srs, yo. Straight up. I'm in love.

Oh. And I want a Sky. Gimme.