Reviews for The Trials of the Airship Brothel
quirkymusings chapter 2 . 9/2/2013
Oh gee I loved this chapter- the POV was unexpected and interesting as hell. Are you going to leave Jade and Wes' open ended like this? It hasn't been updated in a while :( thank you, though.
estarianne chapter 1 . 8/20/2013
I am not sure if this story is considered unfinished? If not, the relationships are left with a lot of tension. One thing in romances, always end with the relationships in equilibrium. Basically conflict between Seb and Adrian is resolved by one partner being more determined than the other to make his partner happy (giving in to something that bothers you because you think it will make your partner happy and that is your number one goal in life is not a conflict solution). In Jade/West's conflict, one partner is sacrificing everything while the other is sacrificing nothing. Both situations felt... unhappy to me.

A better solution for Seb and Adrian would be to come up with specific things that are OK to do with clients, while more intimate things are reserved for the couple. It is a huge challenge to write a situation in which one partner is going to continue as a courtesan feels comfortable to the reader. The separation of sex and intimacy for the characters has to be well established for the "it's just sex" route, because the sex/intimacy link is fairly ingrained in most readers. Sex was a big deal between Web and Adrian, it is hard to now see Adrian easily forgiving the breaking of a perceived commitment and feeling OK with an open relationship. I mean, you can write that he'll be OK with it, but we all say we'll be OK with things we resent like hell down the road just to avoid conflict- that's what this feels like to me. The fact that it was pity sex does not help.
Itsa Mia chapter 2 . 10/29/2012
This was a lot easier, faster, more enjoyable to read. don't misunderstand, the other chapter was entertaining too, this just flowed easier in my mind because you weren't explicating half of it (perhaps if you had had more than a single chapter to explain everything that had to be changed from 2 other, much longer stories). that being said, I really loved seeing things from Adrian's and Lee's pov :D they're really very refreshing, since from other's perspectives they are incredibly angelic and sweet, but you see their busy with their own shortcomings. I really liked that :D So I'm guessing and slightly hoping that this story isn't quite finished? :D
Guest chapter 1 . 10/29/2012
hmmm, I think the plot is interesting, but the steampunk twist made you have to re-write backstories, and it got a little confusing since too much had to be clarified before you could simply enjoy the chapter.
and my heart aches. in a good way lol
next chapter time...
Vera Dicere chapter 2 . 5/5/2012
I'm honestly not sure what it is about it, but The Sound of Snowfall is likely my favorite of your stories. There's just something about Jade and Wes, their insecurities paired with the obvious depth of their feelings...it really just gets to me. I recently reread SoS and it hit me just as hard this time around as it did the first. And I only just got around to reading this story - I think I would have read it sooner if I'd realized it's essentially a sequel that continues Jade and Wes' story. When Wes dropped to Jade's feet, wracked with sobs, when his family was leaving...I absolutely cried. For whatever reason, I seem to have developed a pretty strong emotional attachment to those two.

And even this chapter, with the world from Merilee's POV was absolutely lovely. It was really interesting to get inside her head a bit and see her almost-romance with Wes from another perspective. And I admit, there's a part of me that was(is) vaguely hoping for a menage sort of solution, where Wes marries Lee (so he can have his big family) but Jade is still an integral part of the equation (at least for Wes, although maybe also Lee, since she seemed pretty into that kiss)...but I'm also worried that Jade and Lee will both be too possessive/jealous over Wes for that to work out.

Whatever the case, I'm still really looking to the next part in this, whenever it goes up. I'm sure I'll be well pleased with whatever the result actually ends up being. :)
Crystalynn chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
As much as it pains me to admit, this is my least favorite of the pieces you have created. By far.

Not only does it attempt to take every reassurance offered by the ending of BOTH Jewel and Snowfall and crush them to pieces, but it does so with a predictable, sometimes tacky style.

All characters are suffering from a misplaced sense of Duty. Sebastian, apparently from childhood.

Seba thinks it's his duty to soothe the aching hearts of strangers, when in reality, he accepted his duty to Adrian on the day of their wedding. In suddenly deciding he wants to go back to his old ways, he is not only acting completely out of character, but he is breaking a promise he made by the simple act of marrying Adrian. When they were married, Seb was so in love with him that he was physically, literally unable to sleep with anyone else. Now, suddenly, he can get a hardon for an old, one-legged war vet?

He needs to accept that he chose Adrian. He chose marriage and the title of princess. If he were caught sleeping around, for instance, it could be disastrous for both their reputations and their country. It is selfish and downright foolhardy to even consider such a thing, especially since Westar's dad only JUST mentioned a tabloid published gossiping about Seb. He should be treading carefully, not dallying at the Jewel. Not only that, but he's putting his husband through a heartache that just simply is not fair. Adrian will be there for him when Seb is the one-legged guy in the chair or the wrinkly 60 year old has been. Adrian will be the one picking up the pieces. To USE him as a rock (husband) while sleeping around on the side is deplorable at best, whether or not he returns after he's had his fun.

As Wes said, Adrian could be loving someone else in the meantime, as he deserves, instead of waiting around at home having his heart trampled while his husband screws around.

Bad enough Seb can't bear him a child. Does he not ever think of everything Adrian sacrificed for him?

Next there's Westar. His misplaced sense of duty is with his family. Now, it has to have been quite a few years since he began his schooling. Pit is no longer a child and even if he were, Pit is his parent's child, not West's child. He should not feel like he needs to return home and care for him. Second, his twin sister has her strengths, which are different from his own, but what the hell should that matter? She is his sister, not his other half. If she is not happy where she is, she should simply leave, without dragging him along, especially if he could make a good life here. Despite the fact that Westar must at least be approaching adulthood right now, he seems intent on clinging to his family like an 8-year old child. Not only that, but he's doing so at the expense of his lover. This is foolish at best, not to mention treacherous, seeing as Jade was the one who pulled the strings to get him out of his backwater home and pay for a good education. Now he's simply taken his education and fled back home with it? That's wrong on so many levels.

Furthermore, West seems intent on having children of his own, when he already fondly considered adoption in Snowfall. Now all the sudden he needs his own family and is willing to marry Lee, even though he has no passion for her? That is both cruel to Lee, who is plenty pretty and bright enough to find a man of her own, but to Jade too. Marrying Lee yet keeping Jade on the side would make him just as much a monster as Seb cheating on Adrian. It's simply treacherous and perhaps most annoying of all, unnecessary.

ALL of this drama is unnecessary, in fact. It seems out of character and forced.

What's with Wes's parents suddenly wanting him to come home, even after fully supporting him leaving? It seems to me like they're being totally unreasonable. They are getting older, and as such, it is better for them to remain in a city, where there will be plenty of food and warmth, not back out in that freezing wasteland where they will soon be too old to get out and chop wood and catch wild animals for food. That's simply ridiculous. If Sasha truly needs to return, let her go alone, she's a grown freakin woman. Or better yet, let Sasha get married and make her own way in life.

If Pit needs to return, he can do so once he's old enough to make that decision soundly and resolutely. Right now he is young and doesn't know any better either way. Who's to say he wont simply grow older and want to live somewhere else?

It all seems a step in the wrong direction, for everyone involved. I'd thought loose ends tied up, but apparently everyone suddenly has some growing up to do.

Adrian needs to be a man, put his foot down and refuse Seb's request. West needs to give up his traditional, baseless idea that he must marry a woman and knock her up, and finally Jade, who I might add never liked his place at the Jewel to begin with, needs to leave and stay with his Wes.

Simple as that. This whole scenario seems a tacky concoction of boneheaded, misplaced responsibilities. Wes has a responsibility to himself, to actually grow up and be a man, find a life and identity for himself before bogging himself down with kids, and Seb has his responsibility to be a good "wife" to his husband.

Granted there's nothing wrong with an open relationship, if such is the case to begin with and is mutually accepted by both partners, but it is never right to force such a thing on your spouse after previously agreeing to its opposite. Seb needs to be prepared and respectful enough to take no for an answer.

I will say this though: this wasn't dark. It was simply annoying. I wasn't upset. I just rolled my eyes at the sheer amount of irresponsibility, cowardice, and immaturity displayed by all parties involved.
Bookstalker chapter 2 . 6/18/2011
I love this and your previous Crowned Jewel stories! I would write a longer review if not for the fact that I'm too tired. Can't wait for the next chapter. :)
Chibko chapter 2 . 3/22/2011
Oh! Lee! I wish I knew what to say because I hurt for her, but I also feel for Jade. And poor Wes caught between has no idea which part of his heart he should follow.

I hope that everything will work out. There are many loves in life, each with its own special place in our hearts.
Xelli chapter 2 . 3/21/2011
Yay, for continuing this part. Your writing is very lyrical. I liked the alternate point of view. I was a bit confused at who was speaking at first but that cleared up. Now, it needs to end happily.
Vera Dicere chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
utterly gorgeous, as usual. and i was thrilled to see that although this was ostensibly about sebastian and adrian, jade and west were just as large a part. i've said it before, but there is just something about jade and west that really wrings my heart out. i've no idea what it is about them that resonates so strongly with me, but i nearly cried reading their departure scene. i just really want them to have a happy ending. and i like that you've hinted at the possibility of one, what with the airship landing in gladberry. i do wonder a bit if you want us to read this at the actual next step in the story and, if so, how the airship-stop-in-gladberry would translate into your own original universe...

anyhow. i'm rambling. really i just wanted to let you know that i loved this and to once again express my inexplicable emotional investment in jade and west's relationship, which i think only goes to show what a talented author you are.
Raebie chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
This is very well written! Very sweet and beautiful.

Great job!

Ella
Aime Atem chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
Marvelous and amazing and heartrending and poignant. Have a heart, write a happy [together] installment for Jade and Wes?

You rock.
fuglycorn chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
Yay! I
Qui chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Wow. Just wow. I am amazed and pleased and maybe a bit sad-sad because the story was sad, not sad because anything was wrong.

I LOVED this. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted (even if I didn't quite know what that was) and then-it was CANNON-I mean, part of me hopes that it wasn't (Jade! Westar! Wahh!)-but the fact that you managed to completely switch genre and setting and yet managed to write the next step of story with the characters-amazing. AMAZING.

Qui

P.S. Which name did you actually end up picking for Intrigue? I don't think you ever said...