Reviews for Our Son
macabre thoughts chapter 1 . 2/22/2011
Wow. The repetition of the six elements - War, Future, Pyramids, Riverbed, Revolution and Armada - were done perfectly. It gave the poem both a strong foundation to tie it together, and a very unique twist that evoked different imagery with each paragraph. It never got boring or too repetitive; it was an adventure to read. It told its' story in a very clever manner; great work.
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 1 . 2/4/2011
Oh my, this is brilliant. First off, I love the structure of this piece because I don't think I could ever manage following the strict sestina structure and I think you handled it well. I didn't fully catch on until about the third stanza, but when I did, I had to go back and start all over from the beginning. Everything flowed incredibly well, and what made it so enjoyable was how you painted each son and then the daughter so creatively. Much credit to your ever-impressive phrasing, of course. You have such a brilliant way with words, even when I feel I haven't fully grasped a piece of yours, I still manage to enjoy reading it.
fatbird33 chapter 1 . 1/15/2011
i found this poem absolutely fascinating.
DefineBeauty chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
This has a certain beauty to it, a classic old fashioned kind of beauty, and I think that's what you were going for. I really love how in each stanza you give each child their own personality, even though you had the restrictions of a sestina. I think each child is lovely! However, I don't really understand the last stanza too much. It seems like a jumble of words almost just thrown together. But that's just my opinion, it just confuses me :) nice job sticking to the form of a sestina as well, I could only imagine how hard that would be!