Reviews for Homophobia
Nick Griffalco chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
Oh wow, if you didn't win that contest then I'd like to know what the judges were smoking! This essay is touching and so approprate and needed in this world we live in. Though I'm not gay I've always been a big supporter of LGBT rights for as long as I can remeber, and some of my closes friends are lesbian.

One a personal note this essay struck a chord with my experance as an atheist, now I won't pretent that what I've delt with can compare to the deficulties of being lesbian, but I have faced bullying and descrimination beacuse of my atheism and have lost many friends and alienated myself from several relatives beacuse of my atheism (and it is nice to find a fellow atheist).

You're absolutly right about the role relgion plays in homophobia, and while there are social issues seperate from relgion I think really all those issues go back to religion, in fact they done studies that show relgion is the number one reason people oppose gay marragie. And you're right that hope is comming, in South Africa they recently ended the corrective rape law, and in our own soceity people are growning more accepting of homosexuality (overturning Prop 8 shows that), but we still have a long way to go, but I can see a world where all a truly as equal as the constituation garunties.

Here's to making that day come true, and soory for the long review, I tend to do that :)
TheUpsideDownCake11 chapter 1 . 3/13/2011
I really like this. I DESPISE homophobes, although I'm sure a lot of them are nice people, they NEED their eyes opened. NOW. If every single person in the world could read what you have written, and read it with an open mind, homophobia-it simply wouldn't exist. I'm sorry some extended family ren't being supportive, but I think it's good that other people are. It's people like you and you're cousins and the Commitee and your school that the world needs. I support you and you're cause all the way. Good on you and well done.

TheUpsideDownCake11

xoxo
Ubiquitous Differences chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
This is really awesome! Will you talk about some of this stuff (especially the alienation you faced in church and the derogatory language) at the lesson about LGBT bullying? Since we need to talk about how we're a welcoming congregation (meaning that we've gone through a process to be certified as welcoming to the LGBT community), the stuff about Catholicism will be really relevant (not bashing the faith or anything, but just showing how we should/ shouldn't behave).

... And sorry for posting all of that here. But it's a review. And this piece really is powerful. :)