Reviews for Somewhere I Know There Is Nothing
Sercus Kaynine chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
Ah, a realist's take on life here.

Not too crazy about the subject, but I like the emotions you let out and the piece speaks for itself and its pain.

Good job and good luck in WCC!
Adrenalin chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
The style here is really dry, it reads more like a diary entry than a poem (that's not a critic, someone told me the same about one of my poems one).

It's a really bleak view of the word - a little too much for my tastes, in fact. It's a little overdramatic at some points. I liked the fact that the planet was kinda personified, though.

"I say that we should all kill ourselves"

Like suicide? Or killing one another?

I think the first part doesn't fit with the last: at first you talk about crime, war, economy, etc... All those relate strictly to humanity and don't concern the planet directly. Then after you go on saying that we should 'leave this planet on its own' but why? We don't really see why in the poem, in my opinion. Maybe you should have written about pollution, destruction of forests and species, construction of town and concrete, etc...

Good luck in the WCC
Nesasio chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
Hmm, this is a nice take on the prompt. The idea works, I just don't know that the execution was as powerful as it could have been. It's not terrible; in fact, I liked the opening a lot. However, everything's a bit bland. Play with your wording a bit and this could be a great poem. :)

berley chapter 1 . 2/7/2011
I really liked the theme of this poem, and have considered doing an experimental piece talking about a similar subject a couple of times now. It’s a really nice take on the prompt, and a question that has probably been asked in all of us at least once or twice.

Personally, I don’t think you fulfilled the full potential your poem could have with this theme. I would have liked to see more imagery used. Your possibilities are limitless when it comes to imagery in poetry, and I think this piece could improve greatly if you experimented with that a little more.

RavenclawMoose chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
This was a very cynical poem. However, I did not feel much of an emotional reaction to it. There was nothing personal in it to really make the reader feel drawn in, and the theme seemed a bit unclear.

The first stanza did not fit with the poem. I got the impression you were trying to say that the world is a bit soulless and bleak, but I'm not entirely certain. There are definitely human beings in the world, and it's not nothing.

In the second stanza, you claim that God is doing nothing, then in the third, people are blaming God for making the world suck. I think it would make the poem stronger if you clarified your position on this: is God merely absent, or is he malicious, or is he to blame for pain because he is absent?

I didn't like the line, "I say that we should all kill ourselves..." It seemed a bit too bluntly stated. I think something more along the lines of, "We should all disappear" or even just leave out that line and go straight to, "We should just leave this planet on its own" would both have still gotten your point across while being less bland.

I do like the idea behind this poem. It's an interesting philosophical question, to think about whether this world would actually be better off if humans weren't a part of it.

RM