Reviews for Five Seasons of a Restless Year
JHeartbreak chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
This is beautiful beautiful beautiful. Everything you write is full of a freshness, an aliveness, even amidst all the hurt and death. Actually, that's probably what gives it that feeling. Things wouldn't feel so alive if they weren't always in the process of dying.

I like the characters and the plot. Obviously your restrained, pictorial style only continues to advance. I find the mix of crushing poverty and whimsical fanasy very Marquesian. I would think that even if Beau's supposed powers proved false. It's not necessarily the magic that makes it magic realism. This story reminds me of Love in the Time of Cholera that way.

As much as I like the story, I like the title most of all. It recalls a lot of the titles of classic Asian literature. I think of the Spring and Autumn Annals, Narrow Roads of the Interior, or Love Suicides at Sonezaki. The title is the best part of this story. It is a complete story itself. With your linguistic ability and obvious affection for poetic devices, I'm surprised you don't have poetry posted up here. If you don't write poetry, I suggest you try; if you don't feel comfortable posting it on Fiction Press though, I don't blame you.

Also, more personally, you haven't responded to any of my comments. Not that it's such a big deal; Lord knows, you could be dead, or in Rehab, or working off an inherited debt in the salt mines. But if you've considered it, I want you to know that I appreciate a response.
Sundown chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Why haven't I read this until now?

I love your writing. It comes with such an ease - and (thank God) you're not one of those writers that feels they need to use lengthy words to sound impressive. I am far more impressed by simple, CLEAR descriptions, which is what you do. Your style has this poetic, stream-of-consciousness, dreamlike element to it that I find quite unique to you and always a pleasure to read. I do hope at some point you feel inspired to continue this as it sucked me in from the word 'go'. Xx
xanthofile chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
it has everything and everything and still i want more. but even as a stand-alone, i'd count it as something of an inspiration, a motivation to want to write in such a manner. anyway. thank you for posting this.
Cattails chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
My favourite character: Peach. I assume Destiny and Casey found her in a pumpkin patch and brought her home.

I wonder where Beau is gonna go...?
4 Leaf Clover chapter 1 . 2/12/2011
I liked how you included both Oregon and Hawaii. :P I live in both states and love them both so much :) The story otherwise, was pretty twisted but I liked it all the same. I'm always looking forward to your updates.